300 Director to Develop Star Wars Standalone Based on Seven Samurai

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
Why would you want to tarnish a good story with space wizards?
Because Star Wars did it before?

It is no secret that Lucas was heavily inspired by samurai films when making A New Hope, in particular The Hidden Fortress, another classic film by Akira Kurosawa. The original script for episode IV even strongly resembles the plot of that movie.

Basing a Star Wars movie on Seven Samurai is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. It all boils down to whether the director can make it work.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
THIS IS TATTOOINE!!!

I can see this going well. An action oriented adventure movie inspired by older samurai and adventure movies. Kind of sounds familiar...

Nah must be me imagining things. Though it would be fun to see Seven Space Samurai in theaters. I do hope they call it that. A big fan of alliteration.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Could work but for the love of god Disney Jedi overpopulation kills the movies for me. I mean if we found a force sensitive rabbit race maybe I would be ok with it.

Mike Kayatta said:
Because Seven Samurai hasn't been remade enough.
What if we made it eight? We might as well redeem gungans before it is too late.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Seven Samurai is a classic, this is not really a debate.

Love Synder's work, whether or not it will work in this context is debatable.

However, Snyder takes up things that he is passionate about and takes pretty good care of them. Regardless of how well a Star Wars-esque adaptation of Seven Samurai would work, I'm sure Snyder would do his best. That is, if he did it.

I'm still not sure what to make of Disney's newest acquisition and I probably won't until Episode VII (or whatever they make) comes out. Way too early to take stock in anything right now.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
UPDATE: He is NOT doing a Star Wars 7 Samurai movie: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/star-wars-samurai-zack-snyder/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
anzerath said:
dragongit is correct. The Clone Wars episode was pretty good too (if a bit predictable)
Clone Wars has a ton of good episodes with smart premises. Which one are you referring to?
nomaner said:
UPDATE: He is NOT doing a Star Wars 7 Samurai movie: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/star-wars-samurai-zack-snyder/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher
Well, my buzz is killed now.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
nomaner said:
Damn it! I had a lightsaber gay joke all ready, what with it being Zack "Shut up, I'm married to a woman! No gay man has ever married a woman!" Snyder theoretically up to direct said Star Wars movie.

Eh. Man of Steel's coming out soon (heh). That's all the ammunition I'll need.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'm interested, but not with Zack Snyder as the director. His directorial style is . . . I'm not even sure if I can come up with the words to properly describe it. It's like a codfish trying to be sexy with a blob of lemon jello.

. . .

I'm going to stick with that. It's as good as anything else I could come up with.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
This sounds like something I'd expect to hear in a Pinky and the Brain episode.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so Brain, but why would anyone want to see Star Wars and the Seven Samurai?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Just...don't turn it into a dark, gritty, gore infested movie. That's not Star Wars--although I doubt Disney would allow that to happen. Then again, we did get those other two Pirates movies...

It doesn't have to be only Jedi. The seven could be made up of troopers, pilots, bounty hunters, or dozens of other character types. I'm sure a Jedi will be in the mix, but seven Jedi? That's going to be overkill no matter who they fight. Unless it's an army of Sith, which would end up contradicting the Sith Rule of Two. Unless they've skipped ahead in the timeline to the Legacy Era and Rule of the One Sith. Of course, that's only going to happen if they follow the established lore in the Expanded Universe, which means--you know what? I better stop. I could go on for days I fear.

Just don't do that first thing I listed and I'll be okay with it.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
As mentioned, Clone Wars did something like this, with the Jedi teaming up with hired mercs/bounty hunters to fend off the bandits.

Bounty hunters are more fun. Greater variety of appearance, weapons, personality, and backstory.

Perhaps set in the Old Republic?

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
So, according to some of the links people have posted it looks like this might not be happening. What a shame, this was something I could get behind.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
But I was looking forward to speed-ramped Jedi-knight fights >.>. Oh well, at least he has two other films coming out that will hopefully satisfy my wants.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Say what you will, I'm looking forward, I'm REALLY looking forward, and the fact that it's a stand alone makes it all the better. And DO the slow-mo!

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
That sounds so terrible. Lets take the most boring aspect of Star Wars(Jedi) and make a movie just about that. Yahoo. The sooner the force, jedi, and sith stop being a part of Star Wars, the sooner it'll become a franchise I give a shit about again.