303: Glitching the Tank

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I legitimately finished all 4 campaigns on Expert, though I died at the rescue vehicle in Blood Harvest. With 3/4 complete, I decided to make another go at Blood Harvest one day, but then an update stripped all of my achievement progress. That was the moment I realized I didn't really care about filling up my achievements.

Achievement glitches in Left 4 Dead are a double-edged sword.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
this article reminds me of my time with Xmen Origins Wolverine. The cheats in that game removed the achievement credits, but if you quit out of the game to the menu, it would return the achievement credit (so you could get achievements) but the cheats would not disable. So I got 1000 points on that with cheating, but it still took me a solid week of playing to do it, more time then most other games I play.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I've had a couple achievement glitches with L4D as well, but more along the lines of getting an achievement the instant I boot the game up without doing anything, from a mode I never play (versus).

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I was almost on a pro team back in the day, but my schedule didn't allow it. :( My friend and I got so good that we ran people through experts for FUN, and we did it (mostly) legit. We would use the tank safe room door thing and I think that was it.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
The Imp said:
1. There are no Zombies in Left4Dead. Even the developers said their monsters are infected humans.
2. What is a "Gamescore"?
3. No, never, under no circumstances what so ever are cheats, exploits or glitches okay - at least in a MP game.
Great input. Allow my rebuttle:
1. Who gives a shit?
2. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gamerscore
3. He wasn't asking if they were ok, he was talking about how fun the experience was regardless of legitimacy of acquiring the achievements.

Sidenote- one definition of Zombie: 'automaton: someone who acts or responds in a mechanical or apathetic way'.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Ah, the finale glitch.
I remember people doing that.
I had the opposite glitch.
Surviving campaigns on expert and not getting credit for it.
That sucked balls.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Achievements like that are for when you get TOO good.

I've played Left 4 dead for something like 100 hours, you get SO GOOD that normal mode you will never go below about 70hp, is when the game becomes boring and you HAVE to turn up the difficulty.

Glitching for achievement points has to be the most pathetic things in the world. The points in them self are MEANINGLESS! Glitching for them makes them worthless. It's nothing but obsessive compulsive disorder "gotta have 100%" bullshit.

But if you think about it you are NOT getting 100% out of the game.

You are denying yourself the stage of getting so good you have to raise the challenge to get "technically" 100%.

If you actually played the game as it was intended then

Example of why it is so hard even playing just finale on Expert: no pacing. If you played through the whole campaign on Expert you would be slowly immersed and train your reflexes to deal with the new threat.

But switching to expert that the HARDEST STAGE is just too steep a difficulty curve!

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
It doesn't matter how you achieve them in my opinion, just as long as you have fun achieving them. At the end of the day, it is just a form personal accomplishment.

People are taking this well too seriously.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
The Imp said:
1. There are no Zombies in Left4Dead. Even the developers said their monsters are infected humans.
3. No, never, under no circumstances what so ever are cheats, exploits or glitches okay - at least in a MP game.
"444 zombies were harmed in the making of this film"

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
I've always thought the word "Glitch" has such a negitive feel to it.
I prefer to think of them as "Non-standard Easter Eggs".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Adam28 said:
It doesn't matter how you achieve them in my opinion, just as long as you have fun achieving them. At the end of the day, it is just a form personal accomplishment.

People are taking this well too seriously.
I'd say the way he is going about this it is LESS fun that doing it "properly".

Playing through on Easy may mean you start the finale with maximum health and items, but the difficulty curve then become ridiculous, playing through the whole game on Extreme you will get used to killing zombies quick enough and protecting yourself from those 20hp zombie swipes.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The Imp said:
You are mixing up Left 4 Dead and 28 days later, that was the film where they very annoyingly refused to call the zombies zombies.

Think he means gamerscore. Something stupid on Xbox Live. It's inversely and exponentially proportional to your testicle size. Though too many Xbros seem to think the opposite.

Rocket jumping started as an exploit. Many of our most beloved game mechanics are born out of glitches and exploits. It's whether they survive patches that counts.

What is NOT acceptable is violating Wheaton's law: being a dick.

So cheating is almost always out because it is unfair, but if you are all agreeing on cheating in the same way (literally, the cheats menu like low gravity for ALL). Then again I wouldn't even rule that out, Imagine a game mode where it was something like 12 vs 1, and the one person had loads of cheats on but was fighting against 12 people.

That's a new game mode I've seen in a few places.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
Me and my friends tried this achievement recently while drunk out of our minds. I blacked out during the 3rd campaign, but they managed to pass the chapters despite me. The next morning we continued to drink and finish off the final campaign. We weren't able to get the achievement, but we had a fun time. We didn't know about the Jesus Rock or Room, but we knew about teamwork and how to defend when entrenched. Maybe I should call them up for one last try for the campaign. Drunk, of course.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
warrenEBB said:
huh. exploiting glitches in games really disgusts me.

It's like being proud that each friday night, you and a bunch of like-minded friends, will get together and cheat at monopoly. You could obey the rules, but you prefer to ignore the inconvenient ones - and thus you all end up millionaires! It feels so great for you guys! And if Xbox live were to offer a specialized stamp for being good at monopoly - you could stand proud amongst all of those who have played it long enough to actually demonstrate some skill at the game!
I loled so hard at this. On the one hand, I hate restrictive DRM, but you can kind of see why game creators just straight up ban people for modding single player when this kind of thing happens.