309: Mega Man X Marks the Spot

theklng

May 1, 2008
Tank207" post="6.289798.11509036 said:
I love the Mega Man X games... well all the ones up until X6. The SNES Mega Man X games were special though, oh how amazing it was to be a kid and hear this blaring out of my television on summer vacation.

boomer's stage music > all

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Megaman X, back when I was a young lad. Actually it was the first video game I ever owned I remember being the coolest brother in the household because my two elder brothers who grew up with the original Megaman would barrow it from me all the time. Good times :)

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
Megaman X1,X2,and X3 will always be my favorites how ever I do appreciate the PS1 games, I basically quit after X7 because of how atrocious it was. If I get the chance to, I will play X8 I want a collectors that is remastered. I believe it would sell extremely well.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
believer258 said:
twaddle said:
believer258 said:
twaddle said:
Grunt_Man11 said:
Megaman X also got a lot of fans theorycrafting about what happened in those 100 years between the original Megaman and X series.
my thing is, were those even linked? i always thought the X series and the original megaman series took place in different universes like battle network and that ds clone of battle network. I the only series that were linked were in this order:
Megaman X series
Megaman Zero Series
Megaman ZX series

Megaman, Megaman Adventure(Megaman Volnaut/64)Megaman Battle Network, and Megaman Starpatrol all took place in different universes as opposed to the X-saga that all took place on the same planet in the same universe at different points of time
Not quite. It's entirely possible that almost all of them are linked.

Original, then X 100 years later, then Zero 200 years later, then ZX another few hundred years, then Legends a couple thousand years later I think. Yeah, if you try to connect the stories - which you can after very subtle hints in all of them - then you find that they could all be connected. Or at least in the same universe.
i see where your coming from but where does star patrol and battle network fit in this
That's why I said "almost". I don't think those two are linked, but they could be.
Very far into the past when the best thing they could think up was a computer game? In fact it really reminds me of right now. I personally think it was a game idea, then someone created real life versions (Dr.Light) and then so on aand so forth.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Sabrestar said:
I only ever played the first Mega Man X (which I still own), and loved it. I wouldn't mind playing more of them later, as I know next to nothing about the story (and I'm a sucker for high-quality stories in 2D platformers).

However, a lingering annoyance for me, falling into the category of "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then", is the character of Zero. I always knew something didn't sit right with me about the character in the first X game, and it was only a lot later that I found out he was supposed to be female, but was (allegedly) changed out of fear of non-acceptance of the character/game. And that makes me sad.
I heard he was supposed to be X, but Capcom was worried megaman fans wouldn't respond well to him because he looked too different from the original.

OT: This is probably my favorite sereies in the franchise, but that's probably nostalgia talking since it was the first one I played. I never actually considered the plot at the time, I just liked shooting evil things in the face.

OOps, I just realized this thread's been dead for some time. SHouldn't have done that.

Nemal

Oct 29, 2010
... man, I love the Megaman X series.

However, they need to get their heads back on on the level design before attempting the next one. MMX6 was crap (and possibly the result of a dare of the "I dare you to make a megaman level made entirely of insta death spikes!), 7 was an unfortunate experiment... but I enjoyed 8!

I hope the next one continues in the right direction.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Like most things made by Capcom... megaman went down the shitter -- particularly the X series.

As the series went on, instead of making improvements they just fell apart... I'd say starting with X5.

Some people would say X4 was bad, but I loved playing the whole campaign as Zero. The cinematics were just terrible, but perhaps in Japan people thought they were good.. i duno.

Raurik

Jun 12, 2008
Personally, the Zero series was the better of the two. Capcom did some wonky things with the X series (like X6) and the level design could be really cheap.