Wet

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Notice how this insightful colum has literally NO posts in comparison to the video series?

Whoa, deja vue
That's because alot of people don't actually appreciate any of the points Yahtzee makes in his reviews, just the jokes. Here, there are less jokes, and more points.

sarcastic

Apr 19, 2008
Squid94 said:
LordCuthberton said:
Notice how this insightful colum has literally NO posts in comparison to the video series?

Whoa, deja vue
That's because alot of people don't actually appreciate any of the points Yahtzee makes in his reviews, just the jokes. Here, there are less jokes, and more points.
So I guess it's good that I laughed and smiled more at this Extra Punctuation then at the actual Wet Review he did? Maybe try and filter a little more of the maturity and respect for the reader into the video's? Not to knock him or anything, but the video's have gotten pretty hit and miss but we all see from Extra Punctuation that he still has some great, and funny, points to make.

Seriously, it's one of the better ones. I found the Scribblenauts one from last week a bit thin. Good work again.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I agree entirely. And being a female gamer, I usually steer clear of female protagonists because they're mostly giant-breasted-fan-service-on-legs or one-dimensional-bitches. Few games manage to give a balanced, multi-dimensional female character. The games I can think of that do are usually RPGs. Ashley Williams in Mass Effect, for instance, was tough but also had a sensitive streak and solid reasons for her demeanor and faults. Oh, and she had faults. And virtues. She wasn't a player character, though.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Oddly enough, Lynn and I were having this exact same discussion... This was after watching Blade Trinity again. Sure, I am aware that a number of you hate it but fuck you, I actually liked it and here is one of the reasons.

Abby Whistler. She is a chic (obviously), a tasty, tasty chic, able to fight as hard as the boys and yet... You honestly feel like if you were pals, you could get a hug without an eardrum of feminazi ear stabbing. She has warmth, emotion, and is generally likable. She has a growing chemistry with Hannibal Kain and looks to Blade as a surrogate father but doesn't judge herself based off of them. She has nothing to prove and a job to do. So she does it and hangs with the guys. She shows a strength without insecurity, which I always find delightful in any character.

So she is tough, approachable as a human, and hot. And damn was she fit in that film. I envied her arms.

Yahtzee hit it on the head. Women can be just as badass as any guy but we still hold them to the expectations of any male character. Be human or you're just a joke.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I was really hoping he'd respond to some (or even one) of the comments to last week's EP. I guess he only reads the comments for his videos?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Most of us don't like seeing women with huge breasts on our games because it makes us look like perverts to our families.
OT: I agree. That whole rediculously independant women trope has been overdone so much that it can seriously weaken a gaming experience.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Not many people admit to backpedaling. Anther reason why Yahtzee is awesome

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
I have to say I agree. My favourite girl in gaming is Samus, and she spends most of her ime in an armour suit. Why? because she has a rich backstory, how are you supposed to relate to someone you know nothing about? (For much the same reason I actually prefer Shadow to sonic.) It kinda helps that she's kickass to.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Wonderfully well-written article, Yahtzee. I agree with you 100 percent- being one-dimensional is a horrible trait in both fiction and life. That said, I wonder what you think of Superman =P.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
It's similar to Jason Statham's character in the Crank movies. It's as if the movies were made just so he could go around causing as much wanton acts of public promiscuity and destruction as possible.

Ammadessi

Oct 6, 2009
As usual, Yahtzee hits the nail on the head.

While I do see the trend towards half-naked women with anti-gravity breasts in games worth rolling my eyes at, what really bothers me as a female gamer is that women are always portrayed as damsels in distress or utter bitches.

There's rarely any nuance in this either, women are either something to be rescued or something to be extremely annoyed by. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I would like it a lot better if the bitchy female characters like Lara Croft and Rubi weren't the rule.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Great commentary on females in gaming. I blame a lot of these faults and stereotypes on development teams not hiring writers sooner during the development cycles.