Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

A UK Bookseller's website let slip that the next Elder Scrolls game mightbe set two centuries after the massively successful Oblivion.

The slip came in the form of some sales blurb for the upcoming Elder Scrolls novel Infernal City by Greg Keyes on the UK bookseller Waterstones website. The text has since been edited away, but read:

"A novel that takes places forty-five years after the Oblivion Crisis, which is the story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion game and the expansion pack Shivering Isles. It partly bridges the gap for the next game, which is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis."

If this is true, not only does it confirm that an Elder Scrolls V is in the works - not that that will really come as much of a surprise - but also gives Bethesda plenty of scope to do something interesting with the game; Vvardenfell with renaissance level technology, maybe even hunting Cliff Racers (to extinction) with a musket? That sounds pretty cool to me!

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/24/next-elder-scrolls-game-set-200-years-after-oblivion/]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm expecting some Steampunk, but being realistic, there's not a lot you can do in 200 years. Maybe nicer gear, that's it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Anything which lets me kill Cliff Racers and Mudcrabs with greater efficiency, I can get behind.

I wonder if we'll see M'aiq return? Do Khajit have long lives?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm not all that surprised really. At the end of Oblivion, there was alot of trouble a-coming for....

The Empire - after all, no Emperor, no invading Oblivion realm for the Dragon Emperors to protect the world from... basically, more than likely to feature civil war and uprisings. Not ideal for an Elder Scrolls game

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Perhaps in the 200 years the world of Cyrodil managed to become slightly more interesting and now amounts to more than a really big green meadow...

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
And yet they'll still be casting magic, using bows, and spending all of the Empire's science budget on executing scientists.

josetaco

Oct 14, 2009
Jandau said:
Perhaps in the 200 years the world of Cyrodil managed to become slightly more interesting and now amounts to more than a really big green meadow...
I'm with you I could never finish an elder scrolls game it just gets so tedious, on the other hand I thought fallout three was great and its basicaly the same engine. Maybe bethsada has learned from that.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Naturalized said:
NO. No no no.

This a very bad idea. Elder scrolls does not need guns that is Fallout's niche not ES.
It's only 200 years...It's not like TES's going to be futuristic or anything. The most you can hope for are muskets.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I'm hoping for a storyline not driven by outer dimensional things which threatens all life. I'm hoping for more people and kingdoms to be the big root of the problem, but that's just me. Oblivion XX, 50,000 after Oblivion V, it's in space! Just something to ponder on how long they can keep a title alive.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Naturalized said:
NO. No no no.

This a very bad idea. Elder scrolls does not need guns that is Fallout's niche not ES.

EDIT: for clarity. I believe that with that type of year gap they can't help but bring guns and shit into it and that is not good
The OP didn't say anything about guns. And besides, in a world full of magic, old style guns would seem alittle pointless.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Hey, if Bethesda just learns how to animate my character running diagonally this time, I will embrace it wholeheartedly. Evin if the game is centered around riding sheep on the moon and the only weapon is a gun that shoots underwear.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
NO!!! i hope to god they don't make it have more modern technology...thats like one of the main reasons I'm never going to play fable 2... they have freckin magic for fuck sack they don't need guns!!!!!!! i can't stress that enough...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
I'm expecting some Steampunk, but being realistic, there's not a lot you can do in 200 years. Maybe nicer gear, that's it.
Not a lot?! We went from hopping around with paper wings to a space station in less than 100.

Also, very promising, seeing as Oblivion seems to take place in regular medieval times, 200 years later would be late Renaissance times, which is completely awesome. Steampunk would be even more awesome though, but that's the mid/late 1800's, this Elder Scrolls game will be about 1500-1600 then.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I hope there are no muskets...

But- YAY TESV!!!!!!!
I can't wait, I hope it is awesome.

Although I wouldn't mind airships... :D

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
I can't remember the name of the book in Oblivion, but it was about exploring Dwarven ruins, and they seemed rather steampunk-esque, so perhaps Dwarven technology is being more widely implemented?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
Not a lot you can do in 200 years? Look at where we were 200 years ago.

OT: Meh, doesn't sound good. I didn't like the modern stuff in Fable II and I'm not going to like it here. Seriously, it would take the entire charm of the fantastic world with elves andn demons(and unicorns) they have created. Why would I fear a any of the creatures in the world if I have guns(if they advance the weapons like it happened in Fable II)?

Logar_Ithme

Oct 12, 2009
Oblivion with guns! :D
Seriously, this could be great. Plenty of new in-game books to read to learn with happened during those two centuries.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Assassinator said:
Sevre90210 said:
Not a lot?! We went from hopping around with paper wings to a space station in less than 100.
I think that's more or less because of our access to technology and the motivation of war to produce better technology. Oblivion is set in a pretty stagnant period in time, the equivalent to our medieval or dark ages, in 200 years, don't expect to have a flushing toilet.