Valve: DLC Titles Just Placeholders

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve: DLC Titles Just Placeholders

Don't get your hopes up for the 'Miracle' and 'Apocalyptic' DLC packs for Left 4 Dead 2, they were only included to make Microsoft happy.

When gamers took a peak at the inner workings of the Left 4 Dead 2 demo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95830-Fans-Find-Left-4-Dead-2-DLC-Hints-in-Demo-Code] they found something very interesting, namely code for kicking people from an Xbox Live session if they didn't have the right DLC packs, leading us all to believe that Valve had some DLC planned, and perhaps even ready to go.

Unfortunately, Valve's Chet Faliszek has rather spoiled that idea by revealing that the names are just placeholders put in for Microsoft testing.

"If you're reading in the forums and you're reading about the "Miracle" DLC or whatever, that's test code," said Faliszek. "To get tested through Microsoft certification, we had to do test scenarios with DLC. We haven't actually come out internally with what we're going to do yet."

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/31/l4d2-miracle-pack-and-apocalyptic-pack-are-spaceholder-names-only/]

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Can i get a better explanation of "Test Code"; I'm rather confused.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
This is all the proof I need that Microsoft is evil, wanting a dev to make sure they are prepared to sell more if Microsoft wishes for it to happen. It's kind of silly to think Valve would do DLC anyway, they've always given the post-release content for free through patches.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
leading us all to believe that Valve had some DLC planned, and perhaps even ready to go.
Since when did having DLC ready before a game even goes on sale count as a good thing?!

OT: Oh well, of course they'll have DLC for it (that'll be free as well). Come on, it is Valve; Gods of gaming but victims of a freak accident in which their timeline is ,whilst parallel to our own, about 3 years slower.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Furburt said:
Microsoft exist to annoy me. Why does everything on XBL have to cost something?Why are they so bureaucratic? Why does Games For Windows suck so much? The list goes on and on.
Because they need more money for their giant ocean of money?

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Furburt said:
Microsoft exist to annoy me. Why does everything on XBL have to cost something?Why are they so bureaucratic? Why does Games For Windows suck so much? The list goes on and on.
Because each exec at Microsoft needs a money vault/pool a la Scrooge McDuck. If you expect them to swim in water then you are SADLY mistaken my friend!

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Just goes to show you that Microsoft requires just about every game to have potential DLC...period.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
'Ti better to take the time to be prepared for a later occurance, than to have deal with the problems down the road.

Also, I stil can't believe people think that they don't start working on DLC until after a game is out. Its been siad many times, by many different devs - work on DLC begins before the main game is even finished - otherwise even things as simple as maps for Halo 3 or Operation: Anchorage for Fallout 3 would take another year or so to come out.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
Anyway we all know that there will be DLC eventually.
We haven't actually come out internally with what we're going to do yet
He even confirms it.
Of course there would be DLC. It's expected. I think Valve announced it when they announced the game.

Edit:
Furburt said:
They're a company with shareholders? Companies with shareholders live to make them happy so they'll keep buying shares and sell them to other people. It's simple business, not a vendetta against you.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Paragon Fury said:
'Ti better to take the time to be prepared for a later occurance, than to have deal with the problems down the road.

Also, I stil can't believe people think that they don't start working on DLC until after a game is out. Its been siad many times, by many different devs - work on DLC begins before the main game is even finished - otherwise even things as simple as maps for Halo 3 or Operation: Anchorage for Fallout 3 would take another year or so to come out.
Exactly, these people who ***** about a company planning/starting/annoucing dlc seem to miss the point that of course they have. It's called planning ahead, every company does it. Car manufactures have the next years model in progress when the make this years. If companies waited till after release to start working on dlc then it would be 6-12 months before any significant work was releasable. I personally love dlc as if I like a game it gives me new incentive to keep playing.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Vault boy Eddie said:
Furburt said:
Because each exec at Microsoft needs a money vault/pool a la Scrooge McDuck. If you expect them to swim in water then you are SADLY mistaken my friend!
If you think them having a lot of money is such an evil thing then you shouldn't be buying their products.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
mrfft said:
Just goes to show you that Microsoft requires just about every game to have potential DLC...period.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least you'll know that there will be more to play down the line.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
AkJay said:
Can i get a better explanation of "Test Code"; I'm rather confused.
In order to prove to the Microsoft people that L4D2 could handle any potential DLC, they would have to have put in codes that pretended there was DLC to test for.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Vault boy Eddie said:
Furburt said:
If you think them having a lot of money is such an evil thing then you shouldn't be buying their products.
Or you should be investing in Microsoft yourself so that you can start swimming in money as well.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
It all sounds like a good idea to me, means when they want to support their product (you know, like valve like to do) it won't go tits up on their loyal fanbase. I really don't see why people have a problem with this, i mean is making sure your product is ready for future changes such a bad thing?