UK Gamers, Play Modern Warfare 2 for Charity This Weekend

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UK Gamers, Play Modern Warfare 2 for Charity This Weekend

Are you in the UK? Do you enjoy warfare of the Modern variety via Xbox Live? This weekend, the more you play Cod Mewtwo online, the more money Activision will donate to charity.

On December 5th and 6th, industry giant Activision and UK specialty retailer GAME are joining forces for GAME For Good [http://www.game.co.uk/gameforgood/], a promotion aimed to get gamers logging into Xbox Live to blast some fools in Modern Warfare 2 in order to help children in war-torn environments.

For every gamer in the UK that spends time playing MW2 this weekend, Activision will donate money to the War Child Charity, up to £250,000 ($416,000). There aren't any signups required, you don't have to pay an entrance fee or register - as long as you're a UK gamer playing MW2 online on one of the two dates, you'll be clocking hours that count toward donations.

The War Child Charity, as described by the site, is "an international charity that protects children living in the world's most dangerous war zones." In other words, even if Modern Warfare 2 is a rip-roaring good time for grown-up gamers (at least judging by the conversations Jordan Deam and Spinwhiz have every morning about their escapades), actual modern warfare really, really isn't.

Now, I know we have some diehard Activision-haters (and Microsoft-haters) in our audience (and be honest, you know who you are) who are ready to grab their torches and point out that since you need an Xbox Live Gold account to play online, this is clearly a ploy by MS and Activision to just drum up sales, but just calm down for a moment (and really, dial back the cynicism detector for once). Xbox Live Gold memberships are free all weekend, so even if you don't have XBL Gold you can still get in on the charity action.

So there you go. Play a great game online this weekend, and a company donates money to an extremely worthy cause. Sounds good to me.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I have prelims on Monday, so it is on the one weekend I will probably not be on. Now I feel bad:|

Feb 13, 2008
Blatant PR stunt is blatant. It may be good money, but it's a sleazy way of donating it.

Seriously, "Let's get teens to play war criminals, so we can give money to victims of war criminals".

Vile.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Does this work for PSN users? Cause I'm interested.

edit: also, surely they can afford more than a measly £250,000? I mean, MW2 is the fastest selling game of all time! of all, time! (sorry, just HAD to do a Kayne West there :p)

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I will do my part for charity! It will be a long and hard (NO PUNS DAMN IT) task, but I can handle it.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Simalacrum said:
Does this work for PSN users? Cause I'm interested.
I was wondering that, then I re-read it, it's only for x-box users :/

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah. Lois this is not my Batman glass.

Activision are parting with money? Voluntarily? Let me look outside for this surely must be the apocalypse.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Knew over a week ago coz the GAME newsletter posted out an email about it. I actually made a thread about it here already that apparently fell into a black hole :p

Will defo be taking part though I agree quarter of a mil seems a bit cheap tbh considering what they've made from MW2.

Jun 11, 2008
So they are giving a tiny portion of money to charity if people play their game also it means the game gets even more free advertisement and publicity not that it needs it at all.

Yes Activision is truly pure evil.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Why aren't they doing this with PSN as well? Shame... I would have gamed all weekend!

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Blatant PR stunt is blatant. It may be good money, but it's a sleazy way of donating it.

Seriously, "Let's get teens to play war criminals, so we can give money to victims of war criminals".

Vile.
Eh I don't get it, war criminals? You play online in team death, S and D etc and they donate money. There are only really war crimes that are happening in the single player.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Vile.
Really?

Really?

Yeah, getting adult gamers to play one of the most popular games of all time - certainly the most popular of the season - to try and set an Xbox Live record all while giving money to help children in wartorn nations is truly the most vile and shameful thing I've ever seen.

I can't believe you even wrote that. If your reaction to donating money to a charity to help victims of warfare is to knee-jerk call it "Vile," I think you seriously need to reevaluate your stance on things.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Activision are parting with money? Voluntarily? Let me look outside for this surely must be the apocalypse.
No no no, a video game retailer is parting with some money. Still astounds me that it's only £250k, I know they can afford more than that.

Really, it's just publicity.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008

Vile.
This is pretty much what I thought, it seems disrespectful more than anything. Kudos to donating the money, but...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Danny Ocean said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
No no no, a video game retailer is parting with some money. Still astounds me that it's only £250k, I know they can afford more than that.

Really, it's just publicity.
Actually, Activision's the one ponying up with their dough. I'm not sure what GAME's actually doing for the event - it's not clear from the site, anyway - other than attaching their name to it.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Sorry Funk, but a game that has you gunning down civilians, giving money to gunned down civilians, doesn't sit well with me at all.

Good on them and all that, but its just a publicity stunt, I mean what percentage of the Modern Warfare profits is 250k? Tiny.

Agree with Root, its exactly the same as musicians with failing careers who attach themselves to a conflict to try to gain support (i.e. Bob Geldof), not stating Activision are failing, far from it, just saying what it feels like to me.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

Vile.
Really?

Really?

Yeah, getting adult gamers to play one of the most popular games of all time - certainly the most popular of the season - to try and set an Xbox Live record all while giving money to help children in wartorn nations is truly the most vile and shameful thing I've ever seen.

I can't believe you even wrote that. If your reaction to donating money to a charity to help victims of warfare is to knee-jerk call it "Vile," I think you seriously need to reevaluate your stance on things.
Actually, I see his point a quarter of the way. It's like if Mothers Against Drunk Driving threw a huge beer pong party for Law Enforcement funding. Kind of defeating the purpose through your charitable actions. But then again, it's a video game, mindless fun pressing buttons to kill pixels. Vile? No.

Overall, people doing what they do for charity is a great idea. Now let's pass something like that to PSN so I don't feel like a heartless bastard.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

Vile.
Really?

Really?

I'm in agreement with you on this one Funk, I think that they are doing quite a good thing to donate money, regardless of how much it is. The best part is that all you have to do is something that almost everyone that participates was going to do anyway.