UK Gamers, Play Modern Warfare 2 for Charity This Weekend

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
poncho14 said:
I have prelims on Monday, so it is on the one weekend I will probably not be on. Now I feel bad:|
I will play double for you!
I'm so racking up like 12 hours minimum this weekend!

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
Yes it's a blatant PR stunt, maybe to repair the publishers damaged reputation amongst gamers, maybe to get the game in the news for the hundredth time, probably a bit of both.

But money going to a worthwhile cause is much more important then the reasons for the donation.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Destal said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Blatant PR stunt is blatant. It may be good money, but it's a sleazy way of donating it.

Seriously, "Let's get teens to play war criminals, so we can give money to victims of war criminals".

Vile.
Really?

Really?

Yeah, getting adult gamers to play one of the most popular games of all time - certainly the most popular of the season - to try and set an Xbox Live record all while giving money to help children in wartorn nations is truly the most vile and shameful thing I've ever seen.

I can't believe you even wrote that. If your reaction to donating money to a charity to help victims of warfare is to knee-jerk call it "Vile," I think you seriously need to reevaluate your stance on things.
I'm in agreement with you on this one Funk, I think that they are doing quite a good thing to donate money, regardless of how much it is. The best part is that all you have to do is something that almost everyone that participates was going to do anyway.
Exactly.

I don't care who you are. If you can look at the phrase "(Company X) to donate £250,000 to children in wartorn areas" and sincerely think that it's something "vile," then I'm... legitimately flabbergasted.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Bah, I don't get why people are so quick to bash this.

Yes, I know we're not supposed to have faith in humanity. Yes, I know we're supposed to be cynical. And yes, I know it's a business, and a business's # 1 goal is to maximize profit, therefore this must be a marketing/PR thing...

But let's think about this for a second. They're donating money for a good cause. It doesn't matter how much (Seriously, people are whining about how much is being donated. Wtf? In the same way that we decide what to do with our money, they too are deciding what to do with theirs) they donate, but whatever the case, it's going somewhere that we can all agree on, is a good place to go to.

They even threw in a free Gold weekend so everyone who had the game could participate. Actually, I don't know if the Gold weekend applies to everyone outside the U.K, but if it does, that's even better.

So what's the problem with this? Yes, it means more publicity for Modern Warfare 2. So what? They're f***ing donating to a good cause, and a game company is allowing gamers to do what they do best.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
OK, the sum of money may only be £250k (I say only, its still quite a bit of money) which won't exactly bankrupt Activision, but I say props to them for giving money to charity because of people playing their game. I'm suprised no kind of boycott has ensued over this yet, seeing as though they have become rather popular this year.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I'll try but I'm gonna see Wolves V Bolton, also I have a band practice and a wedding to go to...

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
How many people have to play before they pony up the full amount?

(Just to go with the general vibe of this thread - I don't like Activision, but all charity is good charity, so I approve)

Scunner

Jan 21, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
So there you go. Play a great game online this weekend, and a company donates money to an extremely worthy cause. Sounds good to me.
But if I play a great game online this weekend, I won't be playing Modern Warfare 2 ...

*sound of crickets chirping*

Yeah, sorry.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I am with those who think this is a blatant PR-stunt. But hey, they can do whatever they like. At least they give some money instead of making some "controversial" DLC. What I do think is bullshit though is the measly amount of money. Why put an upper cap on the money? They have more than enough, and if the played hours x money ratio is low (which I am sure it is) they wouldn't reach a company breaking amount. Even though that would be swell.

If they don't reach the max amount they have set, then I hope the PR they get is mostly negative. 'cause there are way to many people playing this on Live for them not to reach the upper limit they set.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Dont try to make yourself look good Activision in the eyes of the uk gamers just because your price failed.Due to help from the retailers causing a price implosion in the uk for mw2 on launch day.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Baron Khaine said:
Sorry Funk, but a game that has you gunning down civilians, giving money to gunned down civilians, doesn't sit well with me at all.

Good on them and all that, but its just a publicity stunt, I mean what percentage of the Modern Warfare profits is 250k? Tiny.

Agree with Root, its exactly the same as musicians with failing careers who attach themselves to a conflict to try to gain support (i.e. Bob Geldof), not stating Activision are failing, far from it, just saying what it feels like to me.
MULTIPLAYER

the part that has SOLDIERS fighting SOLDIERS.

this has nothing to do with single player

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Spygon said:
Dont try to make yourself look good Activision in the eyes of the uk gamers just because your price failed.Due to help from the retailers causing a price implosion in the uk for mw2 on launch day.
Wonder what those insaine collector sets with the NVG went for over there.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:
Sorry Funk, but a game that has you gunning down civilians, giving money to gunned down civilians, doesn't sit well with me at all.

Good on them and all that, but its just a publicity stunt, I mean what percentage of the Modern Warfare profits is 250k? Tiny.

Agree with Root, its exactly the same as musicians with failing careers who attach themselves to a conflict to try to gain support (i.e. Bob Geldof), not stating Activision are failing, far from it, just saying what it feels like to me.
MULTIPLAYER

Apologies, I was unaware that Activision didn't produce the singleplayer for MW2.

Nor was I aware that in conflicts of soldiers v soldiers, civilians don't get caught in the middle.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Baron Khaine said:
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:

MULTIPLAYER

Apologies, I was unaware that Activision didn't produce the singleplayer for MW2.

Nor was I aware that in conflicts of soldiers v soldiers, civilians don't get caught in the middle.
Oh its cool, i'm just forgetting the fact that this is a game where there are no civilians in the multiplayer portion of the game, and that you don't have to play the single player to get to the multiplayer.

Is being cynical about everything working out for you, because you seem to hate EVERYTHING.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:

MULTIPLAYER

Oh its cool, i'm just forgetting the fact that this is a game where there are no civilians in the multiplayer portion of the game, and that you don't have to play the single player to get to the multiplayer.

Is being cynical about everything working out for you, because you seem to hate EVERYTHING.
Guess what, if the money was actually going to help people in war torn countries, then I wouldn't be cynical. But everyone with a brain knows that out of any and all money we pump into any war torn country, a percentage will end up in the hands of the ones doing the hurting. So here's what I say, stop all charity, let em all fucking kill each other, have done with it, and the world will be far better off.

250k isn't even a fucking drop in the ocean. Unless someone can actually help these people, I mean literally end all the shootings, deaths, wars, whatever, then what is the point? All your doing is funding more hate.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Blatant PR stunt is blatant. It may be good money, but it's a sleazy way of donating it.

Seriously, "Let's get teens to play war criminals, so we can give money to victims of war criminals".

Vile.
Really?

Really?

Yeah, getting adult gamers to play one of the most popular games of all time - certainly the most popular of the season - to try and set an Xbox Live record all while giving money to help children in wartorn nations is truly the most vile and shameful thing I've ever seen.

I can't believe you even wrote that. If your reaction to donating money to a charity to help victims of warfare is to knee-jerk call it "Vile," I think you seriously need to reevaluate your stance on things.
I agree with you Funk. I really don't understand why people are so cynical about this.

Yeah, they are doing this for publicity. But why does it matter if Activision benefits from this? The money still helps people. It's not like the game getting more publicity somehow undermines the value of charity. You get to play a fun game, Activiosn gets some good PR, and money is donated to help people in need. Everyone wins.

There are far worse things Activiosn could do to draw attention to the game. They could create a fake anti-war group that protests the sale of the game. I'd rather them donate to charity.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Baron Khaine said:
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:

MULTIPLAYER

Guess what, if the money was actually going to help people in war torn countries, then I wouldn't be cynical. But everyone with a brain knows that out of any and all money we pump into any war torn country, a percentage will end up in the hands of the ones doing the hurting. So here's what I say, stop all charity, let em all fucking kill each other, have done with it, and the world will be far better off.

250k isn't even a fucking drop in the ocean. Unless someone can actually help these people, I mean literally end all the shootings, deaths, wars, whatever, then what is the point? All your doing is funding more hate.
I don't care about who little it is or how much is going to who, i care about the fact that you seemed to think that the multiplayer involved shooting civilians, or you had to shoot civilians, or something along those lines, which was stupid in its own right.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Baron Khaine said:
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:

MULTIPLAYER

Obvious oversimplification troll is obviously oversimplifying. Get back under your bridge.

Your frustration with the seeming intractibility of modern conflict and the trauma caused by it is understandible, we all feel it. But I assure you, cynical chest beating aside (which I myself occasionally indulge in), just 'giving up and letting everyone kill each other' won't solve anything. Just... chill out for a moment, okay freind?

Bravo to Activision for doing something humane (for a change). I'd love it if they'de expand the charity to the States and PC copies so I can frag for GREAT JUSTICE!

Even better if they'de make this a yearly event, and partner with the folks over at Childsplay. Turn this into something like Desert Bus and you'll raise millions AND publicity, activision.

I envision a future where Videogame marathons become like real life marathons, wherein people pledge support for a certain number of hours or frags. Donate 5 dollars for every round of hoarde mode I survive!

Sounds cheesy? Maybe, but a great tool for charity. People are more willing to part with their money if they feel entertained, if they feel active in the issue.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
dogstile said:
Baron Khaine said:
I don't care about who little it is or how much is going to who, i care about the fact that you seemed to think that the multiplayer involved shooting civilians, or you had to shoot civilians, or something along those lines, which was stupid in its own right.
I never once stated that Multiplayer had you shooting civilians. Not once.