Pirate Stock Exchange Opens in Somalia

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pirate Stock Exchange Opens in Somalia

Stock market got you down lately? How about putting that money into the business of high-seas piracy instead?

Somali pirates have opened what they call a "stock exchange" from their pirate lair in Haradheere, Somalia. Investors can donate money, weaponry, or other supplies and will see a return on their investments if the pirates complete a hijacking or other piracy goals. If you've ever wanted to be a pirate, here's your chance, because the pirates also are offering open recruitment from the lair if you just want to join up. Be aware that actual piracy is probably not as fun or glamorous as it is in videogames and movies.

One woman donated a rocket-propelled grenade, which she got from her ex-husband in alimony, and says: "I am really happy and lucky. I have made $75,000 in only 38 days since I joined the 'company'." The town of Haradheere has been enriched by the venture, as a percentage of the pirate's ransoms are also going towards infrastructure such as the hospital and public schools.

The opportunity is at least more interesting than buying low and selling high in Orgrimmar's auction house, though I'm not sure I would really trust a pirate to give me a proper return my investment. The situation may not actually be all that lighthearted, but it does seem like something out of a videogame, with pirates going on missions to earn as much money as possible for their community.

Source: Slashdot [http://www.reuters.com/article/wtUSInvestingNews/idUSTRE5B01Z920091201?sp=true]

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Somewhere, a small but bright light has turned on in the head of a small boy named Eric Cartman.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
HUBILUB said:
Isn't this illegal? It has to be. BOMB IT!
Bomb the dirt farming peasants who surround this place? Sure, why not...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Furburt said:
Wow, once again it's proved that nothing is black and white.
Sure they're robbing ships and kidnapping people, but it pays for a school?
And hospitals. And they are robbing the ships of companies who make vast fortunes, ironically most likely off the backs of people like them.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Furburt said:
Doug said:
Furburt said:
And hospitals. And they are robbing the ships of companies who make vast fortunes, ironically most likely off the backs of people like them.
Rob the rich, give to the poor? Remind you of anything?
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure "kidnap the poor workers of the rich, ransom them back to their families" wasn't how it was done in the day.

Like you said, not black OR white.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Furburt said:
Doug said:
Furburt said:
The homeless man that lives outside my house? He's pretty nice, I've heard he once was awarded for a nobels peace-price. But Obama stole it

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Doug said:
HUBILUB said:
Well I'm American. I certainly have no problem with going to kick the shit out of some developing nation just because I think they are doing it wrong. [Sarcasm]

OT; Well isn?t that creative of them.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
HUBILUB said:
Furburt said:
Doug said:
Furburt said:
The homeless man that lives outside my house? He's pretty nice, I've heard he once was awarded for a nobels peace-price. But Obama stole it
That sneaky president.
Croaker42 said:
Doug said:
HUBILUB said:
Well I'm American. I certainly have no problem with going to kick the shit out of some developing nation just because I think they are doing it wrong. [Sarcasm]

OT; Well isn?t that creative of them.
Well, its like the old saying; "Were there's money, there's a way." Or something.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Wow this might be the funniest thing I have seen this year. This will be a conversation starter for many months to come I believe. I really hope this is real because if it is, well it just blows my mind. Maybe ill send them a box of grenades and see what kind of return on my investment I get!!!

EDIT: just checked and this is REAL. Saw a article about it on NPR's website....awesome

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Revelo said:
Crazy awesome in the making here, people.
Indeed.
Capitalism for the win...? I guess even something good coming out crime is better than having nothing at all.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well...I suppose they are been resourceful...however how long something like this will last (if it is real) is another matter all together

Psypherus

Feb 11, 2009
Furburt said:
Doug said:
Furburt said:
A certain guy in green tights and a fancy hat?

OT: I wish I had an RPG to "donate". I could use a return of 75 grand.