36% of All Games Owned on Steam Are Never Played

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I'm sure mine is close to 50%, but that is mostly due to me buying packs of games say I want 2 games in some sort of bundle of 5, where I can get the 5 for less then buying 2 separately, hence I buy the bundle. In any case I'm still good with having a vast library I can tap when I'm out of games to play.

Mar 19, 2010
this statistics are only valid for newer releases as the game play time logging has been introduced like 2 or 3 years ago. There are some games on my steam profile that i finished ages ago and do not plan on replaying them that would be included in never played category in the survey.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Looking at my gallery, the games I've spent less than a few hours on are either stuff I got in a bundle...or they were just plain TERRIBLE.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
if i hardly play a game its because its bad. some of the games i havent finished either because its either boring or just bad.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
snekadid said:
The only real news here was that people are buying skyrim and never even playing it. ITS A GOOD GAME PEOPLE!
I have it, never played it. The biggest issue is that it's a really big game and my free time is rather limited right now. Someday, when I get a big chunk of free time to play with. In the meantime, I've been working through the pile of shorter games on my list.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I got untouched games like Left 4 Dead 2 Beta, DOTA2 Test lying around and a few Steam duplicates of non-Steam games I already installed and played a lot (like TES III and IV). So there goes the statistics.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Guilty of this. I'm making progress, mostly by playing the shorter games so I can actually finish them and move onto the next. If I had more free time(more then 1 hour per work day to play), I'd play some of the longer games or get more done.

Maybe I'll get lucky and be unemployed for a year and then can do nothing but look for a new job, go to school and clear out my games backlog.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Guilty of this.

I rarely buy games and never play them.

But, frequently, I'll get bundles which include games I've no desire to entertain.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
softclocks said:
Looking at my steam library, around 100 of the 280 games have never been installed.

The main offenders probably being the humble-bundle games. When you buy a 1 dollar bundle because you want 1 game, there's going to be 5 games just gathering dust in the library.

Still, a very interesting (possibly disturbing) trend.

Also, on my profile all of the Borderlands DLC are listed as games, which becomes another 6 "games" where only one is played.
Ditto on that. Most of my games came from humble bundle and I probably haven't played 50% of them. Probably because a lot of them I wanted a decent controller for and just got a ps3 plus i had a crappy laptop that couldnt really handle the decent ones. Now that I have both a gaming pc and ps3 that number might drop to around the average 30%.....eventually

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, I blame bundles here. 6 dollars for like 10 games, two of which I've always wanted to try but couldn't cop out the release price of like 40-60 bucks to get, the rest of which I'm really not interested in. It tends to pile up.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I imagine the Hundle Bundle has influenced that list a LOT.

Far too often, when I pick up a Bundle on the cheap, it comes with 1-3 other games I didn't really have much interest in at the time. (I try to gift the spares to friends and family)

AntiChri5 said:
Remember kids, Steam Sales are not your friend.
They're not your enemy either.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
softclocks said:
Looking at my steam library, around 100 of the 280 games have never been installed.

The main offenders probably being the humble-bundle games. When you buy a 1 dollar bundle because you want 1 game, there's going to be 5 games just gathering dust in the library.

Still, a very interesting (possibly disturbing) trend.

Also, on my profile all of the Borderlands DLC are listed as games, which becomes another 6 "games" where only one is played.
I agree with there might be areas that the automated process of this could be considered getting false information. I also wonder how many of those could be DLC or expansions.

For me my non-played category for Steam is very low if you don't count the games that were part of bundles, I think out of almost two hundred games I have less then ten I have never played and most of those are recent purchases that I have to make sure there is data left on my monthly bandwidth allotment.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
the problem with this is announcement is that it doesnt take into account game:
-i bought and didnt like after a few minutes of game play
-games i bought because they were objectives in steam sales to get a badge or achievement
-games i had no intention of playing but bought to support a designer that i liked(the witcher, witcher 2, ect)
-games i had no intention of playing but bought to entice foreign publisher to release game i do want(ys 1, ys2, ect)
-that were part of bundles
-series games i havent played yet because i havent beat the first game yet

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'll just add this to my list of books I don't get around to reading, miniatures I don't get around to painting and tabletop games I don't get around to running. Seems to just be a symptom of collecting stuff, whether it's computer games or other bits of leisure time.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
I'm willing to bet all my life savings that quite a good number of these games that are never played are from "pirate before you buy" people. Basically the people who pirate games and buy said games if they find it to be worth their money. These people usually end up never playing their retail copy (or playing it years in the future when they get a craving).

Skyrim would be one of those. Definitely.

There's also the Humble/whatever Bundle games. I'm certain that quite a number of people buy these bundles for one or two specific games in them. They end up playing that one or two and forgetting the rest.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I have a few games that show as unplayed due to my playing them in offline mode but all in all I have around 150 games and have played all but about 7 or 8 of them. I'm pretty sure that's better than average so I'm fine with that and I'm sure I'll get to them at some point.