Dead Space 2 Details Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space 2 Details Revealed

An early look at Dead Space 2 [http://deadspace.ea.com/] has revealed a much-changed game, with different environments, new monsters and a reluctant hero who's not quite right in the head.

The January issue of Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/default.aspx] is running an in-depth and - fair warning here - slightly spoiler-ish look at the upcoming EA release Dead Space 2. The new game will take place three years after the events detailed in Dead Space; engineer hero Isaac Clarke managed to escape the doomed ship Ishimura but has apparently been left a little unhinged by the ordeal. But as the only survivor of the first Necromorph incident, people look to him for salvation when the grotesque monstrosities begin to surface on the massive, heavily populated space station known as the Sprawl.

The game will be less of a straight-up survival horror release than the first Dead Space. The developers said they want the sequel to be scarier than the original but with better pacing, giving players the chance to be the hunter as well as the hunted. More "epic moments" are also in the works, presumably along the lines of the "Shoggoth in a tumble dryer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos_dev/view/zero-punctuation/333-Dead-Space]" bit, and monster behavior will be smarter and less predictable. Zero-g sections are also being reworked to allow players to control their direction and use weapons during jumps.

Isaac Clarke himself will also figure more prominently in the game. He will actually speak and have a distinct personality, and while his experience fighting Necromorphs will be seen as an asset by other characters, his delicate mental state will be pushed to the limit, and possibly past it, by the pressures of the new outbreak.

Clarke's famous engineer's suit will have a new look and a wide range of customizable options and upgrades, weapons have been upgraded to give players a reason to use something besides the plasma cutter for the entire game and the control scheme has been refined to make it more suitable for combat. Despite Isaac's new aggressiveness, however, the developers said they're not trying to turn him into some kind of new Master Chief and that the game will still very much be in the horror genre. And while no details were released, a multiplayer component will be included that will let players "strategically dismember" their friends.

I'm still a bit iffy on the idea of messing too much with the Dead Space formula but I have to admit that this sounds like pretty hot stuff. For more information, check out the latest issue of Game Informer or head over to Rely on Horror [http://www.relyonhorror.com/content/depth-dead-space-2-info], where they've already done it for you. Dead Space 2 is currently scheduled for release in 2010 on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, that actually sounds pretty good. I may have to get the first one, just for the experience.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
If this has some form of sanity meter and effects from Eternal Darkness then i will totally nerdgasm!

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Sounds awesome. Can't wait for it. After Extraction, EA owes us a super game.

GLXRBLT

May 29, 2009
Interesting... I'll be waiting to see if they work a proper story into it this time...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Sounds awesome. Can't wait for it. After Extraction, EA owes us a super game.
Agreed! And, if it pans out like they are stating here it shall be really, really intresting! I really wanted another one in the series with this game, and, it looks like we will get it!

I wonder though...how did they get to "The Sprawl...", will certainly be intrestign story telling...

And also, what will Issac Clarke sound like!? =O

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Interesting stuff, though it looks like they're going to throw the "isolation" element of the previous game right out the window. What they're pitching now is blockbuster material, which kinda makes me wonder "how on earth are they going to make this a horror game?"

Still, the first game wasn't all too scary (I liked to think of it as "a slower-paced Gears of War with a silent protagonist and more dismemberment variety"), so even if Dead Space 2 ends up being the "Resident Evil 5" of the series, I'd still play it :)

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
That sound like a game that the first one should have been. (i didn't like the first one, but this sound fun)

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
a non-hero hero. whos verging on insanity. and you can dress him up fancy.....hmmm. willing to see where this goes but not sure so far

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I loved the first game, so I'll be putting my name down on the pre-order list for sure.

Ranooth said:
If this has some form of sanity meter and effects from Eternal Darkness then i will totally nerdgasm!
I have to agree with you on that, but I'll try and hold back on the nerdgasming.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Any attempt to mess around with the original's formula definitely has me interested. I don't really care whether it ends up scarier or less scary since I liked the original even though I didn't find it scary. I do think though that the original was lacking in parts (the difficulty and repetitive environments are a good example) and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was playing a re-skinned version of Resident Evil 4.

Anyway, it will also be DRM-less (assuming that EA doesn't make a new monumental screw-up), so I am a happy bear! :D

quellan_thyde

Feb 11, 2009
I'm not going to say I'm looking forward to this because this is still an EA production and I know better than to get my hopes up when they're involved. That said, I do plan to keep an eye on this project now. Even blind pigs can come across truffles once in a while.

EDIT: But since they seem hellbent on keeping the same idiotic slasher-movie combat of part one, maybe not so much.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I like the factt hey dont want to change Isaac to much, i mena if he bacame strong and determinded it would tale away some of the horror, makes you feel less vunerable. Im looking forwards to it! but still.. poor Isaac, i felt bad for him throughout the whole game because comeon.. i mean look what he had to do and ordeal, he must of been a walking wreck afterwards

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
SPOILER WARNING!!! (Idont know how to do the "Click too see spoiler" thingy)

So Isaac killed that thing in the ending that screamed?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
I loved the first game, so I'll be putting my name down on the pre-order list for sure.

Ranooth said:
I have to agree with you on that, but I'll try and hold back on the nerdgasming.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Am I the only one thinking about Aliens pre-Ripley and Marines? The whole growing paranoia, last stand, isolated and outgunned. Sounds exactly like what happened on the colony before the marines arrived and would make a great horror game if it was built slow. Make it the polar opposite of the first game. Very few enemies to start and minimum weapons and armour. It would make a great game if they are a bit brave.

Also check out Newts Tale if you can find a copy. great comic

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Definitely looking forward to this. Good to know they listened to us about giving Isaac a voice.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
sounds pretty damn cool, i think its great that they actually make a new game instead of just an graphically update to the old one.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I'm looking forward to the psychofreakout level, where Clark goes batshit insane as a thousand necrogoons swamp him from all sides, he starts blasting and ripping away, they start running, then he calms down, his vision clears and he's standing in the markets, surrounded by the corpses of a thousand innocent people... just as the bat thinggies arrive en masse.

quellan_thyde said:
Even blind pigs can come across truffles once in a while.
Pigs search for truffles by scent, not sight.