Stolen Pixels #151: "!"

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #151: "!"

Someone at BioWare has clearly harnessed the power of the golden exclamation point for their own nefarious ends.

Read Full Article

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I honestly hoped that guy would die when

the Shrieks attacked.

But no, there he still was. How very sad I was.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Meh, I had some extra cash, so I got it. It wasn't bad. It wasn't on par with the Fallout 3 stuff, but then again, not much is.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
heh i had digital deluxe so i could just get on with the quest..

also i hadn't expected him to actually BE there if you didn't have it...

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Ha ha ha, thank you for doing a Stolen Pixels on that annoying guy. The Devs should realise that not everyone wants to be reminded to get DLC for their games. If I want DLC, I'll get it from the Marketplace like everyone else.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I haven't played Dragon Age Origins yet, but I know what it feels like to be conditioned to feel a surge of glee when a little symbol pops up, and I can imagine the hatred one must feel for these kinds of guys. Kill 'em all, I say.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Exactly. I quite enjoyed the quest, having bought it from the start. However, to have the bloke there trying to flog it to you if you didn't buy it is exceedingly cheeky. Probably adds to the 'OMG they totally cut content' argument over the DLC too.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hates that prick.

I doubt I'll ever buy it, since its main attraction, a storage chest, I already got through a mod as an NPC who holds your items.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I've always wanted Hideo Kojima to work with either BioWare or Blizzard to make an RPG. We'd never know what the ! stood for.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I've always wanted Hideo Kojima to work with either BioWare or Blizzard to make an RPG. We'd never know what the ! stood for.
If Hideo did do an RPG and a character had an exclamation mark over his head - what are the odds the next line of dialogue would be "Whose footprints are these?"

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who has that momentary "Oh, hey - a quest!" reaction every time I go back to camp.

Then I have to compel myself to ignore him while I run around talking to the other NPCs or petting my dog.

*shakes fist at Bioware*
Leslee

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
ravensshade said:
heh i had digital deluxe so i could just get on with the quest..

also i hadn't expected him to actually BE there if you didn't have it...
Same. I had no idea an NPC was there and that they did that. Quest came with my copy due to promotion, so...never missed out on much.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Shamus Young said:
I can't be the only guy who hates him and his punctuated head.
You are not alone.

A related annoyance is the map location with the sole purpose of another DLC quest download.
I felt so cheated when I visited there.
Whatever happened to "suspension of disbelief"? It's like the game is going "nya, nya! There is something cool here but you can't have it unless you buy!" - on you.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Strangely my first thoughts at finding this guy in my camp was that it was a rather clever in-game way of promoting that DLC. I never found him that annoying and I just ignored him after that initial time.

pseudoidiot

Jul 22, 2008
Yes, would've made far more sense to just have the guy appear in your camp after you purchased the DLC.

Would've been like finding the random merchant that has the control rod for Shale, except he had the "!" and wouldn't sell you the rod unless you went and got the DLC.

Yeah, I enjoyed the Warden's Keep content, but shoving it down the player's throat that way is just a bad move. If someone wants it, they'll buy it, no need to badger them about it.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
I don't know about the 360 or PC version of Dragon Age but on the PS3 version if you are in offline mode on the system the NPC doesn't show up. I didn't even realize the NPC existed until near the end of my first character since I am rarely logged into PSN. I would assume it would be the same on all 3 systems.