Team Fortress 2: Soldier Beats Demoman

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Team Fortress 2: Soldier Beats Demoman

It was a long and bloody battle, but the Soldier has finally emerged victorious over the Demoman in the latest Team Fortress 2 [http://www.teamfortress.com/] war.

The throw-down started on December 9, when the Soldier and the Demoman went head-to-head in a battle for bragging rights and a unique inventory weapon that would be awarded to the winning class. It was a close thing when all was said and done but the helmeted hard-ass came out on top, with a finally tally of 6,406,065 Demomen killed versus 6,372,979 dead Soldiers.

Both classes picked up some interesting new equipment: The Demoman received two new melee weapons, the Eyelander claymore and the Chargin' Targe shield, as well as a new, defensively-oriented sticky-bomb launcher called the Scottish Resistance, while the Soldier went home with a last-ditch skull-splitter of his own called the Equalizer, a "morale boosting" Buff Banner and the Direct Hit, a rocket launcher that trades splash damage for dramatically-increased rocket speed and impact damage. Two new maps, CP_Gorge and CTF_Doublecross, were also released as part of the update.

But the pièce de résistance is the fourth and final item, awarded to the Soldier for his hard-fought victory over the Black Scottish Cyclops: The Gunboats, a unique pair of boots that reduce rocket jump damage by a "huge amount." Slap these babies on and forget about stairs forever!

So congratulations, Soldiers, on your masterful triumph! And don't feel too bad about coming up short, Demomen: Maybe next time you can try your luck with the Medics. (For the record, when my grand-kids ask me what I did during the war, I'll tell them that I suck as both a Soldier and a Demoman, so I spent the week happily sniping the hell out of both of them.)

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I wanted to be part of this war, so badly... my computer lacks the video card and RAM to play TF2 well, unfortunately.

Shame, though, my friend was on the Demo side. Oh, well.

Apr 28, 2008
Its finally over.

Hopefully now there won't be 8 soldiers and/or demomen destroying my poor sentries.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Was close.

I was hoping for Demoman, simply because I like his character more.

Probably would have been same thing for both of them though.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Irridium said:
Its finally over.

Hopefully now there won't be 8 soldiers and/or demomen destroying my poor sentries.
just back to the spies sappin' them!

and its a pair of boots.. those seem nice.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Good! Those stickywhores are already annoying enough as it is. Well, not that it really affects me, I play the 360 version... but I was still rooting for the Soldiers!

Apr 28, 2008
MR T3D said:
Irridium said:
Its finally over.

just back to the spies sappin' them!

and its a pair of boots.. those seem nice.
At least with spies you have the possability of stopping them before they sap.

Soldiers/Demomen... thats another story.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Only due to the huge amount of Soldiers. Not skill related. Anyway, only one more class update to go!

This one!

Oh, wait sorry. THIS one.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
You know, when my grandkids ask me what I was doing during the war, I'll have to say that my dad put Linux on my gaming computer so I didn't get to participate in it.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I could've told you this would happen. While it is closer than I expected, the direct-combat class (The Soldier) was inevitably going to have an easier time to win.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I played on one map that was exclusively soldiers vs. demomen, and the demos didn't stand a chance. The soldiers continuously sniped us from afar, and only when they came to secure a point would they come into range. I don't wanna sound whiny, but it felt very unbalanced. Oh well, even through the frustration, it was a lot of fun.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Well, demoman is a terrible class, only good for camping with sticky bombs or taking out sentries, so I'm glad the scottish bastard lost.

Soldier ftw.
Then be thankful you've never seen people like me then, assault Demomen. Hopefully we'll see each other on the battlefield some time.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hehehe... the funniest thing is, snipers and spies had the most fun of them all. Backstabbing and sniping close and mid-ranged enemies is awesome.

Also, don't get too excited because you most likely won't get to try the new weapons yet. I played the whole day and I haven't got even a single thing.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Aww, I was rooting for demoman :( I didn't get to play much TF2 over the 'war', but I did donate a couple of dozen soldier kills to the fight.

Those are some crazy numbers though

Abedeus said:
Hehehe... the funniest thing is, snipers and spies had the most fun of them all. Backstabbing and sniping close and mid-ranged enemies is awesome.

Also, don't get too excited because you most likely won't get to try the new weapons yet. I played the whole day and I haven't got even a single thing.
I played on a server which had Red Team=All demo and Blue Team=All soldier. It was most entertaining I must say. Rockets and stickies and grenades and shovels and shotguns and booze and MEDIIIIIIIIIC even though there weren't any medics.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
(For the record, when my grand-kids ask me what I did during the war, I'll tell them that I suck as both a Soldier and a Demoman, so I spent the week happily sniping the hell out of both of them.
Great fun isn't it? A rocket/sticky-jumping Soldier/Demoman is the most satisfying target to kill with a headshot mid-air.
Psychosocial said:
Well, demoman is a terrible class, only good for camping with sticky bombs or taking out sentries, so I'm glad the scottish bastard lost.

Soldier ftw.
Oh hell I wished thát was true, some of my (sadly friggin' fantastic) clan's Demoman players are just horrible to fight against. Sure it's labelled as a defensive class, but gods how they can attack...

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
I don't know about you but it seemed to me that a lot more people (including me) was hoping that demoman would win. This might have been their downfall because there would have been more demomen and few Soldiers to kill. Never mind.

I am actually that the Soldiers got the boots because when I do play as soldier I rocket jump quite a lot. If the domoman got the same prize It would have almost been completely useless to me.

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
You know, when my grandkids ask me what I was doing during the war, I'll have to say that my dad put Linux on my gaming computer so I didn't get to participate in it.
I see what you did there. [http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/2188269546_b0d328f784.jpg]