Kevin Butler Returns for "PS3: It Only Does 256 Players"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kevin Butler Returns for "PS3: It Only Does 256 Players"

With the launch of Massive Action Game [http://www.amazon.com/MAG-Playstation-3/dp/B001COV1CY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280257698&sr=1-1] around the corner, Sony is kicking its advertising machine into high gear, which means one thing: Kevin Butler is back, baby.

[viddler=96c1145]

I've said it before: Kevin Butler is the best thing to happen to Sony's marketing department since they gave up on Crash Bandicoot. Is he actually a Sony executive? Of course not, he's an actor. Does it actually matter or make these ads any less entertaining? I submit that it does not.

In today's installment of the "Funk Loves Kevin Butler Chronicles," the man himself (now Sony's VP of First Person Shooter Relations) assures a job applicant that "MAG Platoon Leader" is certainly worth putting down on one's resume as management experience - since, much like "Raid Leader in WoW," it requires performing a job that in practice has much in common with herding wild kittens.

There's a special surprising twist ending (well, not on the level of a M. Night Shamwow twist, but a twist nonetheless), but there's one thing that's certain: Kevin Butler is perhaps the only person who could possibly make me even the slightest bit interested in MAG. It's hard enough to get a 12-player team to work together to assault the RED stronghold in TF2, or a 15-player team to actually coordinate to win Arathi Basin in WoW. Personally, I can't see 128 vs. 128 as being anything but a raging clusterf*ck.

Ah well. Maybe I'll give it a chance thanks to you, Kevin. You sexy beast, you.

(PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/it-only-does-256-players/])

Apr 28, 2008
Kevin Butler is the greatest thing to happen to Sony ever.

Now I kind of want this game.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
John Funk said:
It's hard enough to get a 12-player team to work together to assault the RED stronghold in TF2, or a 15-player team to actually coordinate to win Arathi Basin in WoW. Personally, I can't see 128 vs. 128 as being anything but a raging clusterf*ck.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be fun.
But to assume that anyone will be 'working together' as one massive actual...army, is naive at best.
128 players per team is very awesome, but at what cost?
At what cost??
So long, team work.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
I played the beta and was excited about it. I decided to stop after about a month because I didn't want to get worn out from the game before it comes out. The beta was running only 64 vs 64 at the time so I haven't played a full on 256 player battle but the way the game is organized, it doesn't turn out to be a raging clusterfuck.

I strongly recommend the game!

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
At the same time? Bow-chicka-wow-wow?

Erm. Anyway. I love these commercials. I was an early adopter of the PS3 and the creepy baby commercials almost made me want to take it back...

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, MAG is going to be one big Rambo-fest.
Pshh...teamwork? Screw teamwork, my fragrate needs maintenance.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be fun.
But to assume that anyone will be 'working together' as one massive actual...army, is naive at best.
128 players per team is very awesome, but at what cost?
At what cost??
So long, team work.
I get the impression they'll go down the Battlefield 2 route. Lots of small teams working within themselves to achieve common goals, it's dead easy to get one or two six man squads to work together to take point X, while four more squads hit Y and Z. I'll bet Mag just does that, except with 21 squads working in groups to take point X Y Z A C E and F at once.

It works and you get teamwork, it also means stupid ramboing retards can do that all they want, without affecting the functioning units particularly. No doubt some players are going to degenerate to clusterfuckdom, but hey, not everyone's organised.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
John Funk said:
PS3: It Only Does 256 Players
I have to wonder what the marketing department was thinking when they decided "It only does" was going to be their tagline.

"It only does 256 players" sounds like something that someone deriding the game in comparison to a MMO would say, not like something that promotes the game. Unless you also spin the phrase as being sarcastic, but that's also not a great idea.

The newer commercials are far better than all their previous ones though, that's unquestionable.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Kevin Butler=Pure unadulterated awesome.

I LOVED the twist at the end.

"So what's the job?"

"Oh, VP shooter relations."

*Looks down, then looks through blinds*

"Son of a-"

"-MAG"

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
This was awesome 6 years ago when Sony first came up with the idea. It was called Planetside.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Kevin Butler is the best thing to happen to commercials ever. Kevin and whoever writes these ads needs to be payed more right now.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
As awesome as Kevvy B is, I know that, no matter how much I want MAG to work, I know that it won't

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
The Kangaroo said:
As awesome as Kevvy B is, I know that, no matter how much I want MAG to work, I know that it won't
I'm with this guy, though I'm cautiously hopeful

Mabye within a few weeks of release, all the Halo-COD-Anything else-shooter fans will have realised this isn't the same instant satisfaction and WIN WIN WIN nature, and leave it to the guys who WANT to make this work