3D Dot Game Heroes Trailer Is Zelda-ishly Good

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
3D Dot Game Heroes Trailer Is Zelda-ishly Good

3D Dot Game Heroes looked neat from screenshots, but from the trailer it looks like pure awesome.

3D Dot Game Heroes is currently in development by From Software for the PlayStation 3. From this new trailer it looks Legend of Zelda infused with a large portion of wicked cool.

The game is a retro-styled action-adventure title that models the entire world using cubes that look like 3D pixels. Killing an enemy will make it explode into a bunch of these cubes. From the small amount of English text in the trailer, the game's hero must protect the Dotnia Kingdom from something evil involving six sages that protect six orbs which contain the power of god, or something.

Okay, let's not beat around the bush. 3D Dot Game Heroes is obviously inspired by The Legend of Zelda. The music alone feels like a Zelda remix, but when you throw in the imagery of the falling boulders, the general layout of most areas, and the little Link-ish character throwing boomerangs to open doors in a dungeon while slashing his sword at hopping spider-like creatures, the inspiration becomes obvious.

But I'm not complaining, it looks amazing. The game is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2009, in Japan, and hopefully will make its way to other regions as well. From Software's other recent PlayStation 3 RPG Demon's Souls made it out of Japan, so I assume that someone will pick this one up too.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That looks...awesome!

From Software continue to impress. Since the world is pretty much made up of building blocks, the possibility for a 'map builder' type tool seems high. Infinite replayability!

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
I do hope that one of the consequences of having everything made up of little blocks is allowing the player or community to construct things themselves.

EDIT: Ninja'd with pretty much the same message, and the information that it's from From Software. They do make nice games in general.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
So this is what the Zelda world would look like if I was better with my legos...

May lack originality in gameplay, but still looks interesting to me.

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
This looks so awesome. Just like an original Zelda pixilated game but in 3D. So simple, yet so complicated.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I love the concept, and it looks like a great game to play to pass some hours on.
But I just cant get into the lego'ish blocky setting.

At least from the trailer, it's kind of a turn down for me.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
BobisOnlyBob said:
My god. How can something be so original yet such a blatant rip-off at the same time?!
My thoughts exactly.

"Inspiration" isn't the word I would use...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
There is a distinct line between "inspired by" and "lawsuit bait" and I am worried this is going to be too hot for anyone to risk localising in English.

But aren't PS3 disks region free? Better brush up on my Japanese.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
...I remember seeing this on gametrailers...

...I can't remember much after that, cause it made me pass out...

[small]...it's so beautiful...[/small]

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
hmm, i wa never a fan of zelda, so maybe thats why this doesnt look like much to me, and i found it hard to make alot of things out cause of them graphics...

whatever, it'll probably be another braid which people enjoy but i cant seem to...have fun with it guys ;)

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
It's a shame that some of the grammar in the trailer seemed a tad off, but this was pretty interesting. I'm not a fan of the blocky look, but hey, whatever works.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I can't wait. I love spoof games, which are a huge genre in Japan that never really made it anywhere else (I mean, come-on, "Parodius" is even better then "Gradius").

-Zen- said:
It's a shame that some of the grammar in the trailer seemed a tad off, but this was pretty interesting. I'm not a fan of the blocky look, but hey, whatever works.
I'm pretty sure the Engrish was done on purpose. If you sign up for the Atlus (who work with FromSoftware often enough) mailing list, you get an email that is in perfect English, and then has one section (or a comment, or something) that is Engrish, and than back to normal English.

Anyway, the Zelda spoof combined with the FF spoof (Oversized swords, and what seems to be a more convoluted-but-still-cliche plot), and... well... it better freaking get a translation.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Proteus214 said:
Bwah? So...people are actually making good games again? Who knew?
Well, when you take most of your ideas from an awesome game you tend to have a lot of elements that made the original good in the first place.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I smelled a bit of Dragon Warrior in there, too.

So it's long since passed the time that I want a PS3 now, too bad I don't have the cash for one. This looks like it would be a fun download title to grab for it.

Woem

May 28, 2009
BobisOnlyBob said:
My god. How can something be so original yet such a blatant rip-off at the same time?!
Personally I don't think it's all that original. OK the visual style is "cool" but this looks like a 3D remake of the SNES/Gameboy Zelda games, without altering much of the music. This doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the game. I would, but only because because of the Zelda nostalgia.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Neat, though I'm an eensy bit worried about how dull the colors look.