3D Realms Is Not Closing

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
3D Realms Is Not Closing

Duke Nukem developer 3D Realms has issued a statement clarifying its side of the story in what has become an ongoing saga concerning its apparent closure, the cancellation of Duke Nukem Forever and a lawsuit filed against it by Take-Two.

"Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms (3DR) has not closed and is not closing," the studio declared in a release today. "Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6th, while we regroup as a company."

Describing itself as a "much smaller studio now," 3D Realms expressed a desire to "continue to license and co-create games based upon the Duke Nukem franchise."

The statement went on to address the allegations Take-Two has made against 3D Realms in a recent lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91774-Take-Two-Sues-3D-Realms-Miller-Denies-Rumors]. While Take-Two claims that it's $12 million in the hole thanks to Duke Nukem Forever, 3D Realms counters that Take-Two never paid any funds related to Duke Nukem Forever until last July, when they put in $2.5 million in a deal connected to an unannounced game. "This is the sum total Take-Two has paid 3DR in connection with DNF," the statement said. Meanwhile, 3DR claims that it poured $20 million into the development of DNF.

3D Realms also revealed its take on the last months of Duke Nukem Forever's years-long development. According to 3DR, the studio began negotiations sometime late last year with Take-Two for more funding to finish DNF. Around this time, the studio was "hitting mutually agreed milestones" despite the lack of an established agreement. Allegedly after "months of negotiations," Take-Two suddenly changed the terms of the proposed agreement to a point where 3DR couldn't afford to sign on. 3DR would have to let the DNF team go if they couldn't come to an agreement with Take-Two.

Take-Two then made a move to acquire the Duke Nukem franchise and the 3DR team. According to 3DR, the offer was unacceptable since it lacked any money upfront and had no guarantees of mininum payment or finishing DNF. 3DR "viewed Take Two as trying to acquire the Duke Nukem franchise in a 'fire sale.'"

Negotiations, 3D Realms claims, fell through on May 4. News broke [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91526-Updated-3D-Realms-Shutting-Down] of the 3D Realms closure two days later.

Shacknews has the statement in full here [http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/20090518_dnf_3dr_.x].

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Wayne Insane said:
That means were still getting a Max Payne 3, right?Right?RIGHT? (starts crying silently)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90376-Rockstar-Announces-Max-Payne-3

Crimson King

May 16, 2009
Oh thank god -.-;; As a long time of Duke Nukem this game's release will be the highlight of that particular month x]

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hu...What a sad ending to a very long joke.

Maybe Duke Nukem will be picked up by someone who knows what they're doing. Maybe not. I don't know and I'm not sure I care anymore.

Wayne Insane said:
That means were still getting a Max Payne 3, right?Right?RIGHT? (starts crying silently)
Rockstar are making it so yes.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
i'm so happy that 3D realms havent shut :D i've been a long time fan of all the games they've made...mostly the original duke nukems and commander keen games :D

good news that there still in business :D

way to stay in the ball game!

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:

Maybe Duke Nukem will be picked up by someone who knows what they're doing. Maybe not. I don't know and I'm not sure I care anymore.

Wayne Insane said:
Oh, yeah.I forgot about that.They already worked on the second one,right?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wayne Insane said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Wayne Insane said:
Oh, yeah.I forgot about that.They already worked on the second one,right?
I think they published 1 & 2, not sure. I don't know if they worked on any of them but it's lightly.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Keane Ng said:
3D Realms also revealed its take on the last months of Duke Nukem Forever's years-long development. According to 3DR, the studio began negotiations sometime late last year with Take-Two for more funding to finish DNF. Around this time, the studio was "hitting mutually agreed milestones" despite the lack of an established agreement. Allegedly after "months of negotiations," Take-Two suddenly changed the terms of the proposed agreement to a point where 3DR couldn't afford to sign on.
This makes it sound like Duke was pretty close to a release; if that was the case, why the hell didn't they post any footage?

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I've been waiting for this news for years. Now everyone can move on from all of the Duke Nukem Forever jokes and just wait for a Duke Nukem game that actually will be released to be announced.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
Damn it! I posted a thread about this about 5 minutes ago! I didn't even notice this! Well, I'm still happy that 3D Realms is still in the business!

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:

Perhaps Infinity Ward could make it. They know their way around a shooter, and I heard they wanted a sci-fi game.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
What on Earth is going on? There's been so much damn Duke news that my head is spinning...

Guess I'll have to wait till' the dust has settled to see the Duke's fate.