3DS Bashing

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
I like mine, it's basically a DS with extra features. So if you like the DS, I can't see why you'd complain about the 3DS. I recently brought Chrono Trigger, FF III and FF IV. That'll keep me busy until another good 3DS title comes out.

My only complaints are 1) region lock, 2) needs more good 3DS titles, 3) needs more and better eShop games. Other than that, lately I'd prefer to buy 3DS/DS games than Xbox games.

EDIT: Offtopic a bit; but go onto the Nintendo Club website and see if you can download Kid Icarus for free and go in the draw to win another 3DS (if time hasn't ran out already) not sure about the US but I think Aussies still have time.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I love mine! It comes with me everywhere, including military deployments, and never lets me down... I play a lot of older DS games on it too, and they are great, especially as they come quite cheap now!

The 3D itself I find impressive, and playing something like Ocarina of Time is awesome, the graphics increase is superb, and there is a very noticable difference between the output of the DS and the 3DS!

The think I like the most about it is that there are so many games you can just pick up and put down... its easy to use, and it comes with me everywhere!

EDIT: I forgot about the cool vids that automatically download! Gotta love that! The OK GO videos were great!

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I don't get why we have to hate remakes so much, did anybody consider that Nintendo has always been a company geared towards kids and most of todays kids may not have even been alive while the n64 was out? I never really got the hate for the 3d gimmick, it's nice and you can turn it off if you don't like it. Plus the library is expanding, Can't wait for the new kid icarus.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Couldn't say. I've tried it, and it seemed pretty cool. The idea of needing to change perspective to play certain games worked reasonably well, and the idea was solid enough in Super Paper Mario, so I could see it working. Soon as it adds a couple more unique titles, I'm going to pick one up, I know. Not as fond of retreads of games I still own for a different system, but I'd pick up something like compilations I may have missed out on before. Like the Mother compilation, should it ever happen.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
targren said:
Yes, it deserves it. Whether or not it's a "good" gimmick is subjective. Plenty of people think it's BS meant to try to squeeze more money out of people who have to buy everything nintendo puts out. Anyone who still has a functioning DS will have to make an effort to justify the new one. And the library is pathetic. Rebuying old Nintendo 64 games in headache-inducing pseduo-3D doesn't make for a compelling value calculation. Nintendo's first party titles aren't as good as they used to be, and are far too tied up in gimmicks that they forget to actually make them good.

So no. The 3DS detractors are completely warranted in their opinions, and your claims that it embraced some BS "3D revolution" is BS marketroid speak. It's overpriced, underfeatured, and underperforming.
Pretty much this. On top of that, there's only one game I'd even consider getting for the 3DS, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (if only cause it would potentially BE a PW game), and it already sounds like we're not getting it. Hell, Capcom's screwing us Ace Attorney fans over by not releasing Miles Edgeworth 2, and somehow think missing a whole chapter and moving on won't hurt the experience or the fans.

But that aisde, I've become so disenchanted with the gaming industry today, they have to pull out something truly interesting before I even start to give a damn. I thought the DSi was a poor excuse of an investment (why did we need cameras in them?) and I think the 3DS is, too.. so long as you already HAVE a DS. If you don't have a DS, then I say it's probably fine so you can play any of the decent DS titles (Ace Attorney, Mario & Luigi, etc).

To me, though, I'll never see the 3DS as anything more than a merging of the Virtual Boy & and DS. The differences being that the Virtual Boy actually had games I liked, didn't require me to swivel around shooting at shit only visible on the screen, and was at least trying to be something new. Pity ol' Nintendo freaked out cause the N64 wasn't ready and pushed the Virtual Boy out before IT was ready. Poor Gunpei.

BehattedWanderer said:
Like the Mother compilation, should it ever happen.
Sorry, but don't plan on it. Nintendo's already said multiple times they have no interest in doing anything with the series. They wouldn't give us the Mother 1+2 compilation (despite both already being translated), and ignored everything we did to try and get Mother 3 released. Oh well, always Tomato & his team's awesome translation.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
I pretty much hate it too... I can't stand the idea that they, Nintendo, feel the need to basically copy/paste old games and throw in some useless little gimmick to make more money. And yes, I realise how ironic it is, what with being a big Legend of Zelda fan and we all know how innovative each new one of those games are...

However, I am currently tempted into buying a 3DS for 2 - 3 games when they're released over here in England. "Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles", "Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice 2" and "Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney" (whatever the title of the latter two will be).

However, that's a little way off and I'm hoping the price of the 3DS will drop before then.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
I try to see "consoles" as "the conduits for my gaming experience"
OT:[sub](In response to quote in spoiler)[/sub] I can see where you are going with your point, but I am not sure I entirely agree with you. I mean, Nintendo has released Ocarina of Time

four separate times [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time#Ports_and_re-releases] in the United States alone, and nothing was changed at all, except when it came packaged with the master quest version

too. That just seems like a really gimmiky business model. It works, but it shouldn't.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
I love my 3DS and I got it for a good price too. I love the catalogue of old games that are coming out for it too.

That being said I do think Nintendo made way too many versions of the DS, it got a bit ridiculous as there was never a lot of difference between them!

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
AyreonMaiden said:
Re-releasing a game once, i can understand that but 6 times? That's just lazy.
If I want to play a game that was already released (for instance FFX) I just play it on a ps2.
That damn thing at least didnt cost 300 euro's.

Also back to the 3ds, I don't see a use for the 3d function. Only thing it does is draining the battery even more and will cause eye-strain. It's just another DS but without gba backward compatibility and this time with the added function to give you a headache. In other words, you pay more for less functionality.

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
Yeah I think it deserves the hate it gets.

well when it came out atleast.
Basically there was nothing about the 3ds on launch that justified not only its price but its existence.

the 3d is cool and all, but the reality is that it is a gimmik that can get physically painful after a short while. So that is the so called major feature thrown out the window.

then there was the fact that there really weren't any games out for a long time that were worth getting the 3ds for.

And of course 3ds continues the tradition of engineered handhelds that don't allow the use of games from previous generations other than the immediate one while simultaneously cutting off support for the hardware needed to play older titles .

hell I just got a used dslite just so I could play the first two golden sun games.

And people wonder why emulators are so damn popular.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
0takuMetalhead said:
AyreonMaiden said:
If I want to play a game that was already released (for instance FFX) I just play it on a ps2.

Also back to the 3ds, I don't see a use for the 3d function. Only thing it does is draining the battery even more and will cause eye-strain. It's just another DS but without gba backward compatibility and this time with the added function to give you a headache.
I thought people already figured out that the 3DS isn't revised hardware in the same way DSi was.
This is a next-gen portable that just happens to share the DS name.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
AyreonMaiden said:

Also back to the 3ds, I don't see a use for the 3d function. Only thing it does is draining the battery even more and will cause eye-strain. It's just another DS but without gba backward compatibility and this time with the added function to give you a headache.
That's speaking personally though. I no longer own any old consoles, so this gives me a chance to play older games I missed.

And personally, I have never got eye strains/headaches from it, and my battery lasts hours because I turn the brightness down.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I have no ambition to play OoT ever again. Sure it was great for a playthrough or 2 but no way will a re release justify paying for the game let alone the system. There is no to very little third party support due to the 3d gimmick that no one cares that much about which was the wrong thing to release with all the iphone stuff.

There was nothing wrong with the DS, it was a concept people were familiar with. Instead of improving on it nintendo decided to Take a gamble when they are now faced with massive competition in the handheld market which seems to have backfired.

The only game I would be interested in playing is Mario 3d land. However, why would I resort to buying a handheld I would only use for 1 game as well as the game when I can just by Rayman Origins instead?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I can't speak for the games, but I had 2 huge problems with the 3DS

1. Fairly similar to DS: I already have a DS, and I can't honestly justify buying a new one (for any amount of money) when mine works perfectly fine and the newer model barely offers anything new (it also doesn't help that I barely play my DS anymore..)

2. 3D adds nothing to gameplay. (I'll quickly disclaimer this with "this is my opinion" even though I can't really see the appeal of it all) 3D, however "neat" or "cool", doesn't add anything to anything. I've seen good implementation of 3D in a movie, and for an extra $5-10 it's nowhere near worth it. Same thing applies to video games, in that the gameplay doesn't change. It all "looks" prettier (or makes you sick), but the upgrade isn't really that significant, to the point where it's debatable whether or not it's even an upgrade at all. Then, to make this the main selling point of a new version of the DS, is just completely baffling and (again in my opinion) a terrible business decision.

Also, as a side note, I looked at my friend's 3DS and I don't like how small the viewing area is for the 3D before it because actually painful to look at. I found it silly that a feature that forces the user to remain fairly still was implemented in a portable system.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I don't like 3D (I'm firmly in the "Oh the gimmick that comes around every 30 years, see you in 2040)
My husband can't watch 3D (gives him migraines)

If you like it and think it's worth the money, then buy it.
What I object to with the whole 3D thing is the insistance that everyone should jump on the bandwagon and buy an 3D TV, a new DS, pay extra to see a 3D movie (when the movies not worth the admission fee to begin with)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Spent over 100 hours on Devil Survivor Overclocked and I've only gotton 3 ending.

Do not regret it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
F4LL3N said:
0takuMetalhead said:
AyreonMaiden said:
-snip-
That's speaking personally though. I no longer own any old consoles, so this gives me a chance to play older games I missed.
That's the only good reason for a re-release, i give you points for that one.

Towowo2 said:
I thought people already figured out that the 3DS isn't revised hardware in the same way DSi was.
True, but it doesnt change the fact that it cuts down on functionality so you have to buy an older ds (or gba) to play those older games.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
0takuMetalhead said:
F4LL3N said:
0takuMetalhead said:
AyreonMaiden said:
-snip-
That's the only good reason for a re-release, i give you points for that one.

Towowo2 said:
True, but it doesnt change the fact that it cuts down on functionality so you have to buy an older ds (or gba) to play those older games.
Cuts down on functionality how when it's the first iteration of new hardware, rather this would be my smartass response but why would we need further backwards compatibility. The GBA port was certainly nice to have when the DS and DS Lite came around but it's hardly so needed when the DS itself has a bulky library to choose from.