3DS Bashing

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Towowo2 said:
Cuts down on functionality how when it's the first iteration of new hardware, rather this would be my smartass response but why would we need further backwards compatibility. The GBA port was certainly nice to have when the DS and DS Lite came around but it's hardly so needed when the DS itself has a bulky library to choose from.
There are people who still play gba games so if Nintendo was smart they kept the Game Boy advance slot like on the dozen of diffirent ds's before the 3ds they put on the market. Hell if they were smart they could have kept support for original gameboy games (those that came before the GB Colour).

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Yes there are people that still play GBA games. There was no GBA support removed since the 3DS is entirely new hardware which didn't have it in the first place.

Totally unrelated but I find that backwards compatibility while nice to have and convenient is often enough fueled by nostalgia something nearly everyone associates Nintendo with.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I didn't buy it for the 3d; I bought it because the upcoming games actually sounded pretty damn good (alas! I should have taken a look at the release schedule beforehand because a lot of these titles aren't coming out so soon as I thought they would when I bought it)

but yea

Paper mario
Kid Icarus
Resident evil revelations
Resident evil mercenaries (not a really deep game at all, but good for short bursts of gameplay)
Monster Hunter 4
Luigi's Mansion 2
Kingdom hearts 3D
Mario Kart 7
the currently untitled smash brothers installment

Seems like enough games to justify getting the system (To me anyway, I can't speak for everyone's taste in games)........ I just wish I hadn't assumed they were going to come out within a year of release
Whatever.... I've had some fun out of the 'ambassador' titles (not quite $60 worth though)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I would not be surprised if Nintendo released a second 3ds but without the function to play normal ds games.

Also a 3ds XL and 3dsi to name a few.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
I would not be surprised if Nintendo released a second 3ds but without the function to play normal ds games.

It's not so different from X box 360 elite, PS3 slim, Ipad2, PSPGo.......

But yea it seems like Nintendo sort of shot themselves in the foot by not properly establishing that this one was an actual new gameboy rather than another DSI, DSXL, DS Lite

edit:

Xbox versions

Xbox 360 s
Xbox 360 250gb
Xbox 360 4gb
Xbox 360 320gb limited edition
Xbox 360 core
Xbox 360 pro
Xbox 360 elite
Xbox 360 arcade
Xbox 360 super-elite

Ds versions

normal
lite
dsi
dsxl

is there really that much of a problem with them making minor improvement on their system? : \

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Fat p
geK0 said:
0takuMetalhead said:

It's not so different from X box elite, PS3 slim, Ipad2.......

But yea it seems like Nintendo sort of shot themselves in the foot by not properly establishing that this one was an actual new gameboy rather than another DSI, DSXL, DS Lite
Xbox360 elite was a 360 with somewhat everything included (hdd, headphones etc)
while ps3 slims are more common nowadays the fat ps3's can use the same stuff just like they're smaller twins.
Microsoft did release a 360 slim only HDD though but that's nothing mayor compared to what Nintendo did.
Can't speak about Ipad, I never owned one and never will.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Fat p
geK0 said:
0takuMetalhead said:

It's not so different from X box elite, PS3 slim, Ipad2.......

Xbox360 elite was a 360 with somewhat everything included (hdd, headphones etc)
while ps3 slims are more common nowadays the fat ps3's can use the same stuff just like they're smaller twins.
Microsoft did release a 360 slim only HDD though but that's nothing mayor compared to what Nintendo did.
Can't speak about Ipad, I never owned one and never will.
Xbox 360 released an xbox with a few more features (more storage, and whatnot)

Nintendo released a DS with a few more features (dsi: camera/online store, ds lite: longer battery life and smaller size, DSXL: bigger screen)

I fail to see how this makes Nintendo the bad guy : \

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Qitz said:
I went to a 3DS after using the original, I guess you could call it Fat DS and am enjoying it a lot. Recently I've been playing the hell out of Super Street Fight IV, though I'm terrible at it, Seth is kicking my ass even on easiest, damn insta-blocking. That and Star Fox.

I've had 0 problems with it. The games are fun, the 3D is awesome and the Augmented Reality cards you get with it are damn entertaining.
You are living proof that Nintendo failed to advertise the 3DS as something totally different instead of an upgrade to the DS.

In other words, the DS is not the "original 3DS".

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
That's my point, Nintendo releases a new handheld every few months with little to no changes expecting people to buy it. The only DS after the first one that was released that I do think was a good idea was the XL since it was mostly ment for the eldery and people with poorer sight.
But I stop rambling about it, it's getting of topic now.

Edit: was ment for geK0 but also neatly fits as an comment to the above post.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
0takuMetalhead said:
Towowo2 said:
Cuts down on functionality how when it's the first iteration of new hardware, rather this would be my smartass response but why would we need further backwards compatibility. The GBA port was certainly nice to have when the DS and DS Lite came around but it's hardly so needed when the DS itself has a bulky library to choose from.
There are people who still play gba games so if Nintendo was smart they kept the Game Boy advance slot like on the dozen of diffirent ds's before the 3ds they put on the market. Hell if they were smart they could have kept support for original gameboy games (those that came before the GB Colour).
they had to remove the GBA port to make room for the stuff the dsi had brought in (a few downloadable games,a camera,crappy internet,some other fourth thing.) keeping it in would have made it too bulky.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
werewolfsfury said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Towowo2 said:
they had to remove the GBA port to make room for the stuff the dsi had brought in (a few downloadable games,a camera,crappy internet,some other fourth thing.) keeping it in would have made it too bulky.
Camera could have been an addon instead of a completly new DS, same goes for the internet function.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Not to say that there's anything wrong with the amount of different Xbox consoles on the market. But the different DS systems vary much more than the minor tweaks with each version of Xbox (seems to me that the major selling point is a few more accessories a new look and more storage)

I doubt either company intends to sell multiple versions of the same system to most of their customers, they're just improving their systems slightly to a: have an excuse to keep the price a little higher and b: to help compete against other consoles. Do you really know anyone who owns more than one version of the DS (excluding 3ds)

But yea I hear they're already planning another 3DS... this one has an extra thumb stick or something (the rest of us have to buy an awkward attachment for games that use both sticks D x)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
geK0 said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Not to say that there's anything wrong with the amount of different Xbox consoles on the market. But the different DS systems vary much more than the minor tweaks with each version of Xbox (seems to me that the major selling point is a few more accessories a new look and more storage)

I doubt either company intends to sell multiple versions of the same system to most of their customers, they're just improving their systems slightly to a: have an excuse to keep the price a little higher and b: to help compete against other consoles. Do you really know anyone who owns more than one version of the DS (excluding 3ds)

But yea I hear they're already planning another 3DS... this one has an extra thumb stick or something (the rest of us have to buy an awkward attachment for games that use both sticks D x)
On the note of X360, that one was really nescecary, don't need to explain why.
about the 3ds attachment, i'm curious when it comes out. Also a friend of my owns a couple, dunno why (diffirent ds's prolly a 3ds to).

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
0takuMetalhead said:
werewolfsfury said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Towowo2 said:
Camera could have been an addon instead of a completly new DS, same goes for the internet function.
the internet was an add on thing for the first 2 and it was even worse than the installed one and I don't think the camera would work well in the position it would have to be to work (likely it would be jutting out of the GBA slot) and there's also the SD slot that they put in and the music player

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
0takuMetalhead said:
AyreonMaiden said:
Re-releasing a game once, i can understand that but 6 times? That's just lazy.
If I want to play a game that was already released (for instance FFX) I just play it on a ps2.
That damn thing at least didnt cost 300 euro's.

Also back to the 3ds, I don't see a use for the 3d function. Only thing it does is draining the battery even more and will cause eye-strain. It's just another DS but without gba backward compatibility and this time with the added function to give you a headache. In other words, you pay more for less functionality.
It's not too laborious an effort, true, but my PS2 won't work forever. Nor will my PS3. Or my PS4. Or 5. Or maybe I'd like to take one of them older games on the go with me, instead of being tethered to a PS1 or whatever. I'm far from implying they're not cash grabs but there are some games that simply deserve to be played by future generations, and honestly, I'd simply pay for the portability of a lot of older games.

That, and the malleable nature of game design and graphics is something I personally find wonderful. It's a constantly evolving technological art, and I for one adore revisiting older works in new lights, or simply being able to revisit them with ease. OoT3D is probably my new favorite game of all time because it's not only OoT on the go, it's an OoT as embellished by my nostalgic mind. It's the absolute closest I'll ever get to being 8 again, and that alone is far more than the N64 original does for me now.

I don't think there's ever any harm in re-releasing anything, no matter how often. It doesn't stagnate anything cause new games still come out, it doesn't take (too much) time to port something, it encourages future generations to study their roots, and it's preserving classic games that deserve it. I simply do not see a negative, no matter how hard I try.

As for the 3D, I'm with you all the way on that. It's a really dumb gimmick on the whole to base an entire system around, but I don't buy systems solely for the hardware, and very thankfully it's optional so the battery life is not a problem for me. The price sucked at $250, which is why I waited for the drop.

The games are a completely subjective matter though...I currently have seven games, and tomorrow makes eight with Tales of the Abyss, and after I make more money I'll have ten, with Res Evil Revelations and MGS3D. Looking at which games I own for my other consoles and how many, I'd say my investment is close to paying off, and so soon too! That's just me though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nintendo deserves to be mocked for its hubris, even if the system is competent.

But this seems a little late; most of the hate died down after a real game got out.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
The only reason we bought a 3DS was because our brand new DS lite had just recently been stolen, along with our entire collection of games. We knew there would be a few games coming to the 3DS that we would really want to play, the new RE (not mercs) the 3DS Layton, and a few others, and we found a used one for about the price of a new DS Lite. We've played it........iunno, enough for the wife to beat the Last Spectre and that's it....

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
AyreonMaiden said:
I'm having a LOT of fun with mine because I try to see "fun games" as "fun games" and nothing more, not as "rehashes" or "bids to part me with my money" or whatever. I try to see "consoles" as "the conduits for my gaming experience" and nothing more, as well, so strange though I find the Vita's back touchpad, that won't stop me from owning one because the good software will justify its inclusion. I find that when I apply labels and stipulations to the reasoning behind what I like, I become hypocritical whenever the exceptions crop up, which is more often than not.
Hear hear! Consoles/game systems aren't very entertaining. Games are.

Personally, the library of the 3DS is looking more up to me than the PlayStation Vita. Even though I have a PlayStation Vita pre-ordered.

People say bad things about the 3DS library(now, and announced upcoming), but it's quite good in fact. There's a portable version of the Tales of the Abyss, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Cave Story 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Hatsune Miku and Future Stars, Rune Factory 4, Super Mario 3D Land, Paper Mario Cooking Mama 4, Sonic Generations, Bikkuri! Tobidasu! Mahou no Pen, Ushimitsu Monstro: Linse to Mahou Rhythm, Dead or Alive: Dimensions and Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I personally don't have the 3DS (there are actually a few games that are tempting me to get it), but the fact of the matter is that the 3DS is too similar in terms of it's predecessor, the Nintendo DS (Lite, i, XL, etc.). Because of this, every game that is exclusively developed for the 3DS needs to emphasize on the 3D technology or be incredibly affordable to make and buy. Therefore, there will be less and less ideas and games being developed that will need to emphasize on these two principles, and thus, limiting the library of intriguing games for people to purchase.

This is why some projects will be delayed or canceled, some games/franchises will be remade with a 3D twist, and why people will fail to see the significance of 3D technology for a game medium.