3DS Discovers Myst

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
3DS Discovers Myst

Someone must have pulled the right lever, as classic adventure game Myst will see a 3DS release in March.

Not content with being available on almost every other platform in existence [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst#Rereleases_and_ports], one of the most popular adventure games of all time is on its way to the 3DS. Myst is one of those games that just many people played, but few have made it past the first level, much less beaten. In March 2012, gamers will get a second (or third, or fourth, or hundredth) chance to point, click, and puzzle their way through the enigmatic island of Myst, but this time, in full autostereoscopic 3D.

The new port, Myst 3D, comes by way of Hoplite Research, which developed the DS and PSP ports of Myst, and Maximum Family Games, which specializes in family-friendly games across a variety of platforms. Except for the 3D effects, the game will not include any new content. However, series fans will be pleased to know that the icy Rime Age, originally developed for the realMYST remake, will make an appearance. The Age itself does not add considerable playtime to the game, although it does offer a tantalizing puzzle that segues nicely into Riven, Myst's first sequel.

The whole Myst series has been in a weird state of limbo ever since the release of Myst V: End of Ages. While it's played around with frequent re-releases and repeated attempts at a joined the fray [http://mystonline.com/en/]. In comparison, the developers have done very little with Exile, Revelation, or End of Ages, the next three sequels.

Regardless of the overall plan for the series, the 3DS port of Myst will likely entice some newcomers and give some older fans a nostalgia trip. Whether the future of the Myst lies solely in re-releasing one or two games for every new platform, however, is a mystery worthy of the puzzling franchise.

Source: G4 [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/719447/myst-3d-coming-to-3ds-in-late-march/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
STOP PUTTING THIS GAME OUT! I first played Mist on my Sega Saturn, I've had enough of this shit.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
*b-dum-tish*

I'm pretty sure Cyan Worlds moved away from Myst entirely. They released URU's SDK and allowed for Wizard 101 to be produced with it, and dropped support for URU entirely. The remaining servers are run by fans, for fans, and some of them have been trying to release new Ages for it since forever.

Apart from the occasional re-release, Cyan produced "Stoneship", an iOS tower defense-ish game that involves protecting an island from pirates.

I don't really have an official source for the above, except the fact that you can find Stoneship on the App Store, along with my personal experience with what's left of URU Live. They seem content with subsisting on re-releases, to be honest.

Unless they have something truly massive in the works. Which I doubt. I'd kill to see another adventure game done with current-gen hardware in mind, and especially one made by Cyan. I really doubt they'd make a return to the Myst franchise after all this time, but still. Anything would be better than near-complete radio silence. Or, you know, Bug Chucker.

Yep, that's Cyan's newest title. An artillery game with cutesy insect-themed graphics.

*sighs* Looks like they've regressed to Cosmic Osmo... I used to love that game as a kid but, hey, I'm 28. Come on, Cyan! Give us convoluted plots and books and sexy landscapes again!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Baresark said:
STOP PUTTING THIS GAME OUT! I first played Mist on my Sega Saturn, I've had enough of this shit.
If you're not buying it on every platform, then it should mean nothing to you... Considering that Cyan Worlds is currently on the brink of death, this can only be a good thing for them.

OT: Hmmm. How badly mishandled will the 3D be?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
lacktheknack said:
I keep wanting to make a joke about your Daggerfall LP here...

But, if the answer is anything other than "not at all", then it's probably fair to say the misuse will be nearly absolute.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
lacktheknack said:
If it's anywhere near as bad a port-job as the original DS version, it'll literally cause your eyes (or eye, in your case) to bleed.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Baresark said:
If you're not buying it on every platform, then it should mean nothing to you... Considering that Cyan Worlds is currently on the brink of death, this can only be a good thing for them.

Haha, clearly I have not. But since the company is in such bad financial situation, they clearly should have been trying to make a new game besides putting this one on every single system that has released in memory (obviously, I'm embellishing).

Also, I can't think of too many games where it was handled well, this can't be good in that respect.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Why not release later instalments? I personally loved Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelations more, and I suspect many gamers here probably would too. Or why not a compilation? I'm sure they could fit the first three games at least on one cartridge?

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
This mystifies me but hey it has a certain group of fans so it will have fans on the 3ds to. Still.. erm not sure how this will help!

Then again even little bits help. At least it will spread the viability of the platform. [no I don't say the 3ds is dead. just that it is taking slow to pick up. Hey this last month it has gotten some really good games]

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
I love Myst. I will defend this game until the day I die, and I couldn't be happier that more people have the opportunity to play it.

To me, Myst was just perfect. It's puzzles were so singular, and it's whole aesthetic was just mesmerizing. The story was so barely-there but with just enough to hook you in that it exercised not just the puzzle-solving acumen of its players, but their imaginations as well.

And once you actually dive into the lore of Myst, you find out it's "barely-there" story is actually the oldest kind of story, one of fathers and sons. Of betrayal, and of retribution and redemption. But most people just remember it as a game about a lighthouse.

And that's probably still better than a game about whatever largely-mute commando-type guy you're forced to clunk around and murder people as.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Considering that Cyan Worlds is currently on the brink of death, this can only be a good thing for them.
Really? They're moribund to that degree? Man, I need to keep up on things more than I currently do! Although, to be fair, the fact that they're basically working on casual games for the iOS market, and that's a pretty big departure from their earlier stuff.

Here's to hoping things get better! I don't care if they don't revisit the Myst franchise, I'd like to see more serious adventure games from them.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
*b-dum-tish*

Unless they have something truly massive in the works. Which I doubt. I'd kill to see another adventure game done with current-gen hardware in mind, and especially one made by Cyan. I really doubt they'd make a return to the Myst franchise after all this time, but still.
They have said that they're considering doing a game to tie into the Book of Ti'ana movie in some way, though no one really knows what it would be.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Really, the original Myst? Why not REAL Myst (the free-movement one) or Riven? At least those titles would probably get more hits. Besides that I'm sure Cyan has gone far away from progressing Myst any further. Myst V sealed the series.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
I could only complete Myst with a bit of help from various clues.
I mean come on, that mine cart bit!?