3DS is Watching You: Activity-Logging and Anti-Piracy Features

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
While I'm admittedly not the most knowledgeable person about anti-piracy methods of the past, this seems like a novel (and potentially divisive) measure [http://www.destructoid.com/using-piracy-devices-could-brick-your-nintendo-3ds-195895.phtml]. The 3DS logs your activity, and not just what games you're playing:
Destructoid said:
The 3DS actually logs every single thing you do, even beyond what games you're playing. You can actually go into your history and see how many steps you took on each day. A system that knows every step you've taken? I don't think piracy is going to be that easy on a system like this.
But further than that, the 3DS' "always online" abilities alongside with its activity-logging will be used to counter piracy attempts...
Destructoid said:
Those not concerned with piracy see it is a cool feature, as it logs your play time and date, and can even sort all your played games to tell you which ones you play the most. The flip side of this is that the system 'knows' what you've put into it. So, if you put an R4 or other piracy device into it, it'll know. Nintendo will know.

Nintendo is now making it clear here in Japan that they'll disable any 3DS with illegal games on it. Call it a remote bricking. A system update could easily shut your 3DS down. The 3DS and its always-on wireless ability make fun things like Street Pass possible, but it also gives your system automatic access to hot spots and access points. Updates can come in automatically, as you're always 'on.' Maybe Nintendo is watching you, gamer.

GoNintendo points us to a Japanese retailer that warns of this bricking by firmware update. The store also says that they won't buy systems with a record of illegal equipment use.
I'm curious to see how this goes. Though I'm pretty oblivious to what kind of techno-voodoo hackers employ to keep the pirating going, they do always seem to adapt quickly and brush off measures meant to thwart them.

What are your thoughts on this facet of the 3DS? Too invasive? Or is it a necessary step?
And how long until its beaten?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
More reason to not get a 3DS I suppose im all for being against piricy and shit but this is to much

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I can understand where nintendo comes form if they brick you for having homebrews that is going to far. Homebrews are not illegal and I enjoy using them. Plus it would mean that I could not use my Action Replay any more. (AR is not illegal, they are sold in department stores. Doubt places like Wal-mart would purposely sell illegal hardware/software)
If they did do this I would be PISSED.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
I think I'll just open the damn thing up and take the Wi-Fi out once I get one, then. Just to spite them.
[sub]fornootherreasonwhatsoeveritellyou[/sub]

That's just too far, even to prevent piracy.
Garak73 said:
I have been reading about this, I don't think they can legally brick your property. I think this will be along the same lines as with the Wii. An update can brick your Wii if you have homebrew on it but you have to choose to update.
And that's exactly why I think the lawsuits will (and should) fly.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I don't see this as being too intrusive to the regular person though. It's not as if they have to connect to the net to play a single-player game or anything like that. I won't be hacking mine so couldn't give a shit. Go Nintendo, GO!

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
XinfiniteX said:
I don't see this as being too intrusive to the regular person though. It's not as if they have to connect to the net to play a single-player game or anything like that. I won't be hacking mine so couldn't give a shit. Go Nintendo, GO!
Damn right! the only people these security measures will offend is the pirates and massive collection of assholes that simply aren't satisfied with a product as-is, you don't like a product as-is don't f^&%ing buy it.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
What do they mean by "how many steps you've taken"? If it has an accelerometer they could track your movement but that seems too far for me. I don't think that's ok. Do you think they are just going to sit on the information they gather? Waste "space" on some server farm for that?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I like to think about these things as if a creepy guy/girl is watching you instead of a corporation. If my gf gave me a cell phone for my birthday that connected to the internet without my permission and was always in connection to her laptop and kept track of every single thing I did and I couldn't turn it off, I'd dump her ass. Fuck you Nintendo

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I'm ok with this and am still getting one.

I don't pirate games or use R4 cards so none of this really concerns me.

3nimac said:
What do they mean by "how many steps you've taken"? If it has an accelerometer they could track your movement but that seems too far for me. I don't think that's ok. Do you think they are just going to sit on the information they gather? Waste "space" on some server farm for that?
It's a pedometer.
Nothing else. Destructoid was a little misleading with that.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Garak73 said:
XinfiniteX said:
It's attitudes like yours that makes Nintendo think it's ok to go this far. You do know that there is a very real chance of false positives and innocent people getting their $250 investments bricked, don't you?

Further, in order for Nintendo to know what you did on YOUR 3DS, they have to violate your privacy. Apparently the 3DS logs everything you do and sends it to Nintendo. It's ok though right?

I hate captcha!
Zomg, so, Nintendo will know what games i prefer the most, and other functions i frequent the most? how intrusive, Nintendo must be taking pictures of me in my underwear too.(Sarcasm Btw)

Jan 27, 2011
Wait...the wifi is always ON?

That just sucks. I want it off unless I'm using it so I can conserve battery power! Sheez...

That aside this seems like a decisive (but also CREEPY AS HELL) way to counter piracy. Remote Bricking? That's....pretty scary. It feels borderline illegal.

I like that they have a very good anti-piracy measure....but this just seems wrong, IMO.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Take that pirates!
I for one like this so long as they're careful not to screw over legitimate customers.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Garak73 said:
XinfiniteX said:
It's attitudes like yours that makes Nintendo think it's ok to go this far. You do know that there is a very real chance of false positives and innocent people getting their $250 investments bricked, don't you?

Further, in order for Nintendo to know what you did on YOUR 3DS, they have to violate your privacy. Apparently the 3DS logs everything you do and sends it to Nintendo. It's ok though right?

I hate captcha!
Uhhh, what. No, it's people pirating shit coz they are to cheap to buy the games and use the systems properly that cause companies like Nintendo to implement these kinds of things. They have to do it to protect their investment. Also there is no indication that false-positives will be an issue. I mean if you are not pirating shit this won't be a problem. The only people should fear this are the nutters in tin foil houses and genuine pirates (and users of pirated software).

As for invading my privacy... it's a DS. A DS! It's not my bank account or my home. Plus by buying it you are agreeing for them to do this.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Garak73 said:
The_Yeti said:
XinfiniteX said:
Damn right! the only people these security measures will offend is the pirates and massive collection of assholes that simply aren't satisfied with a product as-is, you don't like a product as-is don't f^&%ing buy it.
I am sure a lot of legitimate customers are re-thinking their pre-orders right now (or will be when they read this piece of news).
People who use pirated software getting the shaft does not make me rethink my pre-order.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Garak73 said:
The_Yeti said:
XinfiniteX said:
I am sure a lot of legitimate customers are re-thinking their pre-orders right now (or will be when they read this piece of news).
The only ones re-thinking it are those caught in paranoia and those intent on abusing a creation some people put their blood and sweat into making, for personal joy and or profit sure, but it should not be so socially acceptable to spit on peoples work.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Garak73 said:
I swear, this industry is shooting itself in the foot. Why do game companies put fighting pirates above the legitimate, paying customer?
They aren't. They aren't going to brick the non-pirate customer, who will have a cool history feature in their 3DS.

I support this measure.