3DS Software Lineup Trailer Might Justify the Price Tag

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
KEM10 said:
John Funk said:
But it's certainly helping me justify the purchase to my own wallet.
Right, like you would buy this with money out of your pocket and not end up saying it was a work expense.
Yes, actually, I would.

Beyond D espair

Nov 11, 2009
AndreyC said:
Snake Eater 3D sold me a 3DS.

I just wished they put a second analog stick on the damn system. Ok, it has a the touchscreen, that's cool and all, but some games simply NEED two analog sticks. The system would be the most versatile ever control-wise with a second analog stick. But it looks like it's too late for that. =/
I agree. The inclusion of a second analog stick would be great, but maybe the 3Ds has a way to make Metal Gear's controls less cumbersome on a handheld system. Metal Gear and Resident Evil are only games that made me interested in the 3DS...

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
PSPGo = $250
Main Feature: All Digigal Handheld.
Result: People mad about price.

3DS= $250-300
Main Feature: Glasses-less 3D which the mass public has had no chance of seeing yet...
Result: People accepting 3DS price due to software line up.

Really people? I mean I can see why people didn't like the PSPGo's price tag but to readily accept the 3DS's price tag without seeinf how it works it a bit silly.
PSP to PSPGo had absolutely nothing new about it. No new control schemes, no huge leap in graphics or mechanics. It just allowed you to download digitally.

... a matter of a fact, it ONLY allowed you to download digitally. And mind you, not every PSP game is available for download on the go (correct me if Im wrong, but Birth By Sleep isnt available). Not to mention the lack of good titles, compared to the DS.

The 3DS is a huge leap in graphics, as well as glasses-less 3D, using a method thats proven to work unless your blind in one eye (in which case, you can shut the 3D feature off [or if science and those damn media bastards are lying to us]). The reason this technology isnt used in TVs or theaters is because the larger the screen, the more complicated and expensive it gets to do. For a handheld, its perfect. Small Screen, maximum efficiency). While the PSP to PSPGo didnt really do much in innovation, Nintendo is pretty much taking their handheld from the equivilant of the N64 to something on-par with the 360's accelerator.

Just looking at Nintendos DS back catalogue, it makes the 3DS worth it if you have the cash and want a new DS. Not to mention the remake of old favorites with a new layer of graphics, and even a PS2 game. Plus some new control (like the Analog Nub), plus a few new launch IP's. PLUS all those sexy games promised to us at E3. Meanwhile, the PSP has... Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep... Yeah...

Oh, and know that digital download thing the PSP has? Yeah, the 3DS gets that too, for its massive catalogue of GameBoy and GameBoy Advanced games.

People arent getting mad at the 3DS because the 3DS is doing something drastically different. The console is a vast upgrade over the DS and DSi models. Their launch may be a back-catalogue of remakes, but Im fine with that. Those games are classics that I didnt have the priveledge of owning back in the day; giving me all the more reason to shill out the money and feel like it was money well spent.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
AzrealMaximillion said:
PSPGo = $250
Main Feature: All Digigal Handheld.
Result: People mad about price.

3DS= $250-300
Main Feature: Glasses-less 3D which the mass public has had no chance of seeing yet...
Result: People accepting 3DS price due to software line up.

Really people? I mean I can see why people didn't like the PSPGo's price tag but to readily accept the 3DS's price tag without seeinf how it works it a bit silly.
To be fair, there was nothing to the PSPgo other than its full digital media. It was still a PSP. The 3DS is entirely new hardware, not just a 3D-enabled DS.

If Sony had released a beefier PSP2 at $250-300, people would probably be more inclined to accept it.

Edit: Beaten to it :)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:
I would be very, very surprised if the 3DS was $300. $250 seems infinitely more likely to me.
They already announced it, it's been covered on a few other sites.

EDIT: LoL, and there's even one on Escapist
No, they've announced the Japanese pricing of 25,000 yen.

Which, as I said in the original post was the launch price for the PSP and Wii, which were released here at $199 and $250, respectively.

To my knowledge there has been no official announcement of a European/US price. Everything else is speculation.

Please read more carefully next time :)
Wow, attitude much? Considering you're merely speculating, why don't you get back to me when you have some hard facts, other than the announced price for Japan.
Wait, what?

I made a remark on the US/Euro price for the 3DS. You told me "They already announced it, lol and there's even one on the Escapist," giving me lip like I was not aware that they had announced the (US/Euro) price, I corrected you that they'd only announced the Japanese pricing and that there was still plenty of room to speculate on how much it'd cost over here, and I'm the one giving attitude?

That is a very skewed view of the world, friend. The only one here who ever spoke in terms of "hard facts" is you. That is the difference between "It seems likely that..." and "They already announced it."

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
AceDiamond said:
SilverUchiha said:
Long awaited sequel... re-release, Sequel (maybe a re-release), same, re-release, re-release, and Mario Kart... again...

While I'm looking forward to the 3DS, the launch games do not inspire me with much confidence that we'll be getting the best thing ever. Why not make a new Star Fox? Why not make a new Zelda? Why not stop making Mario Kart? Kid Icarus, yeah, nice change of pace... but that's maybe one of the several things listed. A bit disappointed.
Yes why not make a new Starfox, it's not like everything since Starfox 64 has been various forms of absolute failure or anything. Oh wait.

It makes a lot more sense for them to do a remake to test the waters than to do a sequel that people will play twice for 30 minute total and return because it's shit (speaking from experience)

Also Nintendo's lineup is not the entire 3DS lineup. Given their strong third party support (hopefully) we'll be seeing more than just the "blasphemous" remakes and sequels you all seem to abhor so much as long as it's Nintendo doing them.

As to your Mario Kart question, it's because Mario Kart DS was the 5th best selling game in a year 5 years after it was released, that's why. Mario Kart is popular. Deal with it.

Also, Mega Man Legends 3
First off, remakes are shit. Nintendo or not. It just shows lack of innovation or creativity. I'm not against sequels if they make sense or build more onto a series and help it evolve into something good (so to speak). But remakes are just annoying.

And also, Star Fox Adventures and Assault were fine. So a new Star Fox game would be nice, especially to make up for the god awful StarFox Command the DS was so proud about upon release.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:
Mornelithe said:
John Funk said:
I would be very, very surprised if the 3DS was $300. $250 seems infinitely more likely to me.
They already announced it, it's been covered on a few other sites.

EDIT: LoL, and there's even one on Escapist
No, they've announced the Japanese pricing of 25,000 yen.

Which, as I said in the original post was the launch price for the PSP and Wii, which were released here at $199 and $250, respectively.

To my knowledge there has been no official announcement of a European/US price. Everything else is speculation.

Please read more carefully next time :)
Wow, attitude much? Considering you're merely speculating, why don't you get back to me when you have some hard facts, other than the announced price for Japan.
Wait you're accusing HIM of attitude when you're the one who mocked him for not being aware that they'd "announced the price," even though they hadn't announced the price he'd been talking about?

Who's the one who claimed to have "hard facts" again?

This is a kind of ego you don't see every day, folks.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
epsilon246 said:
ZeroMachine said:
... Holy shit...

... I actually REALLY want a new Nintendo system. I... I didn't think that'd happen for years, if ever again.

And it looks like it has great quality games...

My god.

My gamer-life has been turned upside down.
You say that but you have a metroid avatar?
... Yes?

I'm a fan of the older pre-Wii (... heh...) stuff Nintendo had. I'm more of an XBox guy now. Plus, Metroid Fusion introduced me to the Metroid series, which I absolutely love. I like only a very small amount of stuff on the DS, and even less on the Wii, so I figured my serious interest in Nintendo for excellent quality games had ended.

Plus, somewhat unrelated, but I just haven't changed my Avatar in probably almost a year. Haven't been coming on here much. :p
I must say i've had alot of fun with fusion, when are they gonna continue from where that left off anyway?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Needs more Metroid and Castlevania... but other than that, very impressive.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The price will phase down, slowly. Right now the DSi will be your go to "Cheap" hand held. When another, new version of the 3DS comes out in a year or two, the price on the original model will drop.

Once they make this thing into a phone, Apple will shit it's pants.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
KEM10 said:
John Funk said:
But it's certainly helping me justify the purchase to my own wallet.
Right, like you would buy this with money out of your pocket and not end up saying it was a work expense.
Every editor here buys their personal consoles with money out of their own pocket. There is no such thing as the "office DS." We can add them to our taxes as a write-off, but generally speaking, unless you're a freelancer, you don't accrue enough work-based expenses to really make that worthwhile.

So, yes, John will be forking over his own cash for this. Me personally, I'm not convinced. Oh, the technology is marvelous, yes, but I'm just not sold on the idea that this is a gaming experience I need yet. Perhaps further down the line, when the 3D aspect is better married to actual gameplay, as opposed to just being a visual enhancement, I don't know. Or when developers begin taking advantage of the better specs in ways other than just 3d imagery. Let me actually play the games, and we'll see. But for now, I'm not sold on a launch 3DS. (This is just for me personally, mind.)

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
I'm actually going to wait on some more original titles before committing.
Remakes to me are interim titles (nice to have around); but they shouldn't form the absolute base of a system's gaming library since they're games we've already seen before.
But if you've played Metal Gear Solid 3, you know how awesome it would be to play that on the bus or a plane... and in 3D. I'm excited for this...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
Atmos Duality said:
I'm actually going to wait on some more original titles before committing.
Remakes to me are interim titles (nice to have around); but they shouldn't form the absolute base of a system's gaming library since they're games we've already seen before.
But if you've played Metal Gear Solid 3, you know how awesome it would be to play that on the bus or a plane... and in 3D. I'm excited for this...
Don't get me wrong; the 3DS system hardware is among the best I've seen in my life for functionality; and considering that I've been gaming since the Atari, that's saying a lot.
I'm just curious if/when Nintendo is going to drop some other original titles for the 3DS, rather than reselling games that have already proven their worth elsewhere.

To be fair, I have never played through a MGS game. Why? Because I watched my friend play through MGS2, and I didn't really want to bother with the series after that.

Though my policy for new consoles, as always "4 Strong titles worth playing, preferably unique to the system". I just don't count remakes as those required titles.

So counting MGS3, I'm up to 1 of 4.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Don't get me wrong; the 3DS system hardware is among the best I've seen in my life for functionality; and considering that I've been gaming since the Atari, that's saying a lot.
I'm just curious if/when Nintendo is going to drop some other original titles for the 3DS, rather than reselling games that have already proven their worth elsewhere.

To be fair, I have never played through a MGS game. Why? Because I watched my friend play through MGS2, and I didn't really want to bother with the series after that.

Though my policy for new consoles, as always "4 Strong titles worth playing, preferably unique to the system". I just don't count remakes as those required titles.

So counting MGS3, I'm up to 1 of 4.
The thing is... there's so much potential here. Sure, right now there are remakes and additions to already existing series but that's just for right now. Once we get some more developers working on it we could have a handheld that's truly great and not just "great for a handheld."

Maybe I'm just being an optimistic fanboy but the games announced look great and there could be even better games to be announced in the future. Plus I'm pretty sure it's backwards compatible so there's the whole extremely strong catalog of regular DS games.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
normally i go for gameplay/story but the graphics look really good. the new Kid Icarus should be fun. looks like Nintendo have a gem there

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The main problem I see with these games;

Most of them are worn out franchises.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that to an extent. But I'm failing to see the definitive 3DS game that will really show how powerful it is.

Then again, I am being incredibly biased since I'm extremely skeptical of the whole thing. I've said it before multiple times, but I've never really been a Nintendo gamer, or a handheld one for that matter. They've just never really done it for me, and as pretty looking as those are (Though PSP has had some pretty games for a while now) I doubt that I would ever play them for more than a week, then drop them for something more fulfilling.

I want to love Nintendo and the 3DS, I really do, but it's just...they're not for me, I guess.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
You know what the 3DS needs? A muhmorpuhguh. Fantasy themed MMORPG, especially for handheld consoles. It would spread like the hypothetical child of herpes and a californian bush-fire.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...Waiting for a release date on that Paper Mario title...then ordering it so fast my wallet won't know what happened.