400 Unqualified Schmucks Sign Up For One-Way Mission to Mars

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
D Moness said:
random_bars said:
Anyone else think this would be an awesome premise for an RPG?
Either that or stick in a mass murderer and you have the plot for the worst scifi movie i have ever read.

And i write fanfiction >.<
It would be an excellent game though. The playable character could be the only properly qualified person on the ship who has to run around making sure the entire thing doesn't fall apart...

Either that or something like dwarf fortress in space...

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
TimeLord said:
Red Right Hand said:
TimeLord said:
ae86gamer said:
Let them go. Maybe something cool will happen, like maybe they'll all get sick with some sort of alien virus and turn into hideous monsters.

[small]*I've been playing a lot Dead Space[/small]
But then we would have to send a poorly equipped, unsuspecting mechanic who has to use industrial weapons tools to fight his way to the source of the madness only to find that his love interest back on earth who continently disappeared 20 years ago was actually one of the original crew and was now super badass queen monster and he has to kill it with laser pistols.

[sub]Disclaimer: I really like Dead Space, I just like making fun of parts of the story too xD[/sub]
Dude, spoilers. I haven't played Dead Space yet, so thats not cool.
That isn't the plot of Dead Space, I was making fun of the poorly equipped, unsuspecting mechanic. The final boss is in no way related to the protagonist emotionally or physically!
Ah sorry, I thought you were just making the plot sound more ridiculous than it really is. My bad, I guess.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Squilookle said:
This needs to be a TV series.

Like now. Make it happen people.
Indeed, and make it a reality show. I would love the chance to vote as to who gets blown out the airlock every week!

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
philosophicalbastard said:
I actually think this is a good idea. It would not only fix the population crisis, but also unemployment. We could also find valuable resources that could be mined by the colony.
There is absolutely no way this could even remotely solve the population problem or unemployment and if you have to resort to mining other planets to allow your bullshit economy to continue then you have a useless system. You couldn't possibly build enough ships fast enough to send away people to have any effect on population, that and the obviously unmeetable fuel needs.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
HAHA good for them, that an old fashioned explorer attitude. I really do hope it goes well.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i dont think those people realize what this mission entails, and how incredibly disappointing it will be.

were not talking about going to Pandora, were talking about MARS. theres nothing exciting about it. no life, water, or weather to be seen. (although something might be long lost beneath the surface)

these people arent even thinking

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Shouldn't we focus on colonising something closer to Earth before going after Mars? Like, say, the Moon? Space 1999 anyone?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I don't care weather or not this fails or succeeds (I will mourn for the people if it fails): This will probably be the first attempt to getting people on Mars! And that's exciting! I hope they succeed and form a Colony on there or something!

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Mars? A suicide mission? Space travel?

You know what to do!

In all seriousness, I don't know what to say other than "Sure, why the hell not?"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Um, remember what a mild case of ineptitude did to the Starship Titanic in the Douglas Adams universe?

What would happen with a VERY MAJOR case of ineptitude (as these people sound)?

Time to get out the soap, water, and bloodstain cleaner.

Mar 26, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
emeraldrafael said:
Still... I kinda like the idea, though I think we should just stick menaces to society and people that cause the world's culture to go through retardation [on the ship].
Bad move, unless you want to create MARS AUSTRALIA!

Note for any mods: (Before you assume I'm insulting Australians, it's their history. Just stating that outright here before I get modded or some nonsense.)
Hey! We've done pretty good considering our origins thank you very much. The whole convict thing is blown out of proportion. People would get deported for stealing loaves of bread, it's not like they were all sociopaths and thugs for hire. That and the majority of land owners / settlers were free men.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
vrbtny said:
Look, just because they ain't university qualified is probably a good. The people who signed up may know how to actually fix mechanical stuff, unlike University grads..... who know how to write a good essay.

Honestly, if I was going, I would prefer to be with the guy who could fix the oxygen generator -- and not the guy who can write a highly literate report about the advantages of repairing the damn thing.
You got something against intelligent people, man? It's obvious you never got past high school...You seem to think that universities consists entirely of a glorified writing class.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I imagine it'll be great the first few hours, assuming they don't kill each other during travel (didn't anyone read Red Mars?). After that they'll probably react like this. (clip from Madagascar)

<youtube=_g_uQ5zJRVs>

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
20 years? Sweet, that still means I have a chance! Seriously though I wouldn't mind going. It would be an interesting event (for the whole human race, the rest of you will be watching I'm sure) and I don't really feel like I have anything here to keep me. So, hell, why not?