Rumor: Sonic Playable in Super Mario Galaxy 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Sonic Playable in Super Mario Galaxy 2

Will a certain spiky-headed blue anthropomorphic hedgehog be joining everybody's favorite mustachioed plumber on his next adventure through space?

UK Magazine NGamer might have uncovered a 1990s Nintendo fanboy nightmare: Sonic the Hedgehog could soon be a playable character in a Mario game. twitter account [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279307743&sr=1-1], of all places.

The tweet reads: "We've just had some shocking news from an inside source at Nintendo: Sonic will be a playable character in Mario Galaxy 2! Wha?" I'm going to chalk this one up as an EXTREME rumor (note the bold caps), because it's such an outlandish claim.

I know Mario and Sonic have already teamed up to take on the Olympics (and the Winter Olympics), but would Nintendo really allow Sonic to encroach into one of its core franchises? Or, is the company banking on the popularity of Sonic to draw more gamers to purchase Super Mario Galaxy 2? Even though didn't sell as well as Super Mario Bros. Wii [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000FQ9QVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280157456&sr=1-1], so maybe Nintendo wants to use the iconic popularity of two characters to sell the Super Mario Galaxy sequel.

NGamer's tweets didn't end there. The magazine emphasized that this information comes from a "trusted source," and even that "Sonic['s] levels will be in the 'Green Hill Galaxy.'" While completely possible, I can't help but feel that this sounds like a joke made out to goad people like me into making it news. Stories like this are why they invented the word rumor. Sonic's 3D adventures haven't exactly gone very well for him, so if this is true, I hope Nintendo can show Sega how to create a platforming hedgehog that really works. I'll only believe this when I see it, and play it.

(Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=233965&site=cvg])

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sonic had better not come and ruin my good Mario platformers. But, if he does, at least I'll never have to play as him.

Unless he has story specific missions...
[small]ohgod[/small]

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
That sounds cool. I'm just wondering how they can reconcile Sonic speed with mario style platforming which is usually much slower paced.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well, it would be pretty cool.

It's doubtful, but possible.

[sub]And he is not my favourite mustachioed plumber[/sub]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008

Sonic is a much better character than Mario, but Mario has had better luck with 3D level designs. This could be perfect...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Not content to languish in his own fecal matter, Sonic now feels the urge to bring his shit to other games as well. Well, at least we can say he learned his Sesame Street lessons well; share and share alike.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Aw jeez, at this point you have to either love it now or hate it now

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
So let me get this straight: if Nintendo thinks Galaxy 2 isn't going to sell as well as they hope for, their solution is to put in another character whose games have not been selling at all. Is this some form of reverse-psychology, or are they trying to play the Brawl card?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Very, very doubtful. Sonic and Mario have appeared in the same games before, but not usually in games centered around Super Mario's eponymous protagonist.

This has the potential to have a kernel of truth hidden in it, but for now I'll just assume this is false.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sonic is a much better character than Mario, but Mario has had better luck with 3D level designs. This could be perfect...
What? By what measure? They're both pretty one-dimensional. How can you say that Sonic is a "much better" character than Mario?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
BrainWalker said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
What? By what measure? They're both pretty one-dimensional. How can you say that Sonic is a "much better" character than Mario?
Well, not in personality. But his gameplay is faster paced, he's not a fat dude with a mustache, he doesn't make silly sounds when he jumps, and him hurting things by jumping makes sense. Because of the spines.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
OH HELL! Its the apocalypse! Mario has finally run out of ideas! FLEEEEEE! TO THE HILLS!