Rumor: Sonic Playable in Super Mario Galaxy 2

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
black lincon said:
Tenmar said:
Umm no. First off it just wouldn't work at all because of the powerup system between mario and sonic. Could any of you imagine Sonic wearing the Bee suit? Or getting ice powers from flowers? Or even riding yoshi?

Luigi makes sense because well...it is Luigi and he was in SMG so it makes sense to make him playable again.
And Mario cant use the chaos emeralds, it is possible that sonic just cant use powerups. Imagine sonic like another power suit, can bee Mario use the ice flower? no, so the same concept applies here, Sonic cant use the bee suit.
Or, a Sonic Suit! Mario dresses up as a blue furry hedgehog with red shoes and socks and can run really fast to complete speed challenges!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
The Great JT said:
/headdesk

Mario, you're getting too generous to your old nemesis, man.
he's just helping a guy extremely down on his luck.

You'd help a friendly rival when they were at the point of suicide, wouldn't you?

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Seems... kinda pointless.
Then again, I think both game franchises are aimed at the kiddies, so it could be a pretty clever marketing idea.
The same way I "freaked out" when I found out Crash and Spyro were going to be in the same game.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Maybe just an unlockable bonus character. Really, why would this surprise us at all at this point?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
What happened to the days when they were Enemies? They need rivals, Rivalry makes them stronger.

Putting Sonic into the game would most likely end up feeling tacked on, as if they di it for the 'Ell of it. Here's hoping it's a false rumor.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
From a business standpoint, this is AWESOME.

It would be like making a Batman/Spiderman/Donnie Darko movie.
Sure, it sounds like a cash grab, but you just KNOW it'll be a hit because fans from all three genres will RUN to see it.

I mean, you couldnt have set this up better if you had let DON KING announce it at a press conference... two of the most arguably well known/iconic mascots in gaming history, the faces of what was the ORIGINAL console war some 20 odd years later appearing together in a title... the only thing that could have made it better would have been to make a Super Mario Sonic Universe cross over game with huge 3d levels incorporating elements from both franchises made by Sega for Nintendo.

Then publish it on the Xbox 360.

The known universe would cease to exist shortly thereafter.

ska_tastic425

Dec 13, 2008
I sure hope not. Sonic was never in a Mario game, and he sure doesn't belong in one; Mario has his own great merits of which he can boast. He surely doesn't need Sonic ruining things for him. Although I love Nintendo, it has been known to annihilate any traces of a good thing. Hopefully they'll keep the hackneyed hedgehog out of a good (but almost equally hackneyed, mind you) series.

Deleric

Dec 29, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
What is it with these two lately?
It's like Sonic has nothing to do so he begged an old rival to give him a job, just long enough until Sonic 4 comes out. And Mario is a man with morals!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Deleric said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
What is it with these two lately?
It's like Sonic has nothing to do so he begged an old rival to give him a job, just long enough until Sonic 4 comes out. And Mario is a man with morals!
That actually sounds about right to me.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
who actualy has a WII lol and actualy cares about the continued violation of mario and my childhood memories with him :(

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I highly doubt this is true, but I think this would be cool. I've always wanted to see a Mario & Sonic platformer, not just them competing in sports.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
BrainWalker said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sonic is a much better character than Mario, but Mario has had better luck with 3D level designs. This could be perfect...
What? By what measure? They're both pretty one-dimensional. How can you say that Sonic is a "much better" character than Mario?
Well, not in personality. But his gameplay is faster paced, he's not a fat dude with a mustache, he doesn't make silly sounds when he jumps, and him hurting things by jumping makes sense. Because of the spines.
The way I see it the slower pace of Mario and emphasis on jumping has made his games more successful.

See, Sonic just moved so fast you pretty much had to memorise a side scrolling level, you couldn't take your time and get a good rhythm of jumps and stomps.

Not that sonic games were bad... they just strayed too far from classic platforming into more like a race-game.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I'm calling bullshit, and will be laughing in everyone's face when it turns out to be false.

On second thought, this is the first 3D Mario game to be an almost exact copy of the previous (sure, they've all used the same control scheme, but each felt different- I very much doubt Galaxy will feel any different), so maybe they need to throw something like this to boost sales.

It's still insane.