Can You Game While Drunk?

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Can You Game While Drunk?

Alcohol and gaming don't tend to mix very well, but there are some games where a drink in the hand doesn't automatically mean "Game Over."

It seems obvious that combining a beer or two with any game requiring even a modicum of preciseness or skill would be a huge no-no. However, if there are games that go hand in hand with a pint of beer, what kind of characteristics should they have? According to L.B. Jeffries, from Issue 180 of The Escapist, they should have plenty of downtime, pauses for social interaction and a lower level of complexity. These criteria produce games that even the sober can enjoy:

[blockquote]The obvious places to start are bowling and golf games. Since players are drunk, you can't really expect them to handle multiple buttons. Or even a joystick, if it's a Friday after happy hour. Enter the ball controller. With one delightfully uncoordinated spin, you can launch a golf ball, throw a strike or arc a Frisbee. It's hard to refer to any particular game in this instance because there are so many variations and knock-offs, but we've all seen them before: You spin the ball, then kick back to watch 15 to 20 seconds of instant replays - plenty of time to take a sip or two.[/blockquote]

Jeffries cites Big Buck Hunter and Wii Sports as games made for alcoholic gaming joyrides. I'd say The Sims 3 would make for some hilarious drunken antics. Read "One Button, One Scotch, One Beer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_180/5568-One-Button-One-Scotch-One-Beer]," and share your opinion on how you like your scotch - on the rocks, with a twist of WoW, perhaps?

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/33797582@N06/3714700401/])

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
well, it takes me a bit of rum for my friends to become competitive at SSB64 (old-school FTW)

i think plenty of games go well with drinking, as it makes one more prone to not caring about 'scores' and just having a fun time with either friends or online people.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I'm still convinced my crit rating went up in WoW the more drunk I got.

urglen

Nov 23, 2009
Rock Band all the way. A rye in one hand and a mic in the other makes me feel like a rock star ;P

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I find with most skill games Rock band, Wii Sports, (Pool and Darts for the non-electronic) etc a few in the Tank often help to loosen you up and relax into hitting the optimum level of performance. there is a tip on the scale where it all starts going downhill, but luckily it normally meets apathy coming the other way so its all good.

Games not to play Drunk

Final Fantasy 7 (passed out and lost to diamon weapon)
any contact sport (rugby, tackle football)
Tony Hawk Ride that is a ticket to the ER waiting to happen

TyroSe7en

Sep 7, 2009
I haven't tried gaming and drinking... yet, but my friend SWEARS he actually gets better at halo 3 or Call of Duty (pick one) when drunk

BishopOfBattle

Jul 14, 2008
"No Fail Mode" in Rock Band 2 had to have been made with drunken partying in mind. Any other uses are just coincidence. As Crotalidian mentioned, getting a few drinks in you loosens you up and often lets you play better. A few more tips you past that point, but with "No Fail Mode" on, everyone still gets to enjoy the music even if someone's so blasted they can't play.

And just like liquid courage helps at karaoke bars, its equally helpful in getting singers to volunteer for Rockband.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I remember, years ago, that Andy Mahood of PC Gamer (US Version) did a test where he decided to use Grand Prix Legends (at the time the most accurate racing game in terms of driving physics and mechanics) to test the effects of alcohol on driving. The results were...amusing to say the least. The only part I can really remember is "at this point my notes became incoherent and were lost to me, but I do remember waking up at 3AM with the desire to fire up USAF and perform a bombing run on the Ferrari factory."

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
my friend almost died from alcohol poisoning but he still kicked all our asses on super smash bros melee that night.

but his reflexes were really bad in halo. He justsniped us cu'z his drunken head couldn't handle a close fight.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
I don't play drunk but i do play high, although most the people i raid with in wow are always drunk and high and we do just fine ;D

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
I've always maintained that the reason I got 5* on many Rock Band songs was due to alcohol. Hightens senses before draining all energy and collapsing nearby. Just like a true rockstar.

klarr

Mar 9, 2009
ohhh god is red faction gurrila and GTA 4/the lost and damned/ ballad of gay tony sooo funny when your drunk off of vodka.

best night ever with my friends!!!

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
My friend and I always play Super Smash Bros.(N64 Lol) when we're drunk. The only time ever I can come close to beating him...(He's a machine, really, I lost when playing in team, 2 lvl 9 Npc's and myself in 1 team, him in another...)

Usually I suck worse at games when drunk. I also seem to lose the ability to keep my gob shut or play the guitar...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
RPGs work well with this, since it requires a minimum of skill and a bit of tenacity. Civ4 too, just because it's such a relatively laid back game already. Hell, I might go do that right now!

jwstowe

Nov 2, 2009
Back when I played WOW I did quite a bit of drinking while raiding. One time in particular I was the off healer for an Onyxia Raid and I had to pee REALLY bad. Not thinking about it I just got up and went to the restroom, my roomate was a Warlock in the raid and had a room right next to me. He saw that the DPS and off tank was dropping health and wasn't getting any heals, started cussing at me and ran over to my room to heal until I got back... O well, Drinking and raiding only 1/2 work..

SuperGilfer

Jan 21, 2010
Never tried it before. It would probably make MW2 or Halo 3 an interesting spectacle, though...

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Alcohol and Dead Rising is the bomb, my survival rate increases by about 50% but my ability to be bothered with missions drops 100%