Can You Game While Drunk?

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
What better party game to drink with than the rhythm games with your mates. I swear we seem to do better on both Rock Band and GH when we've tipped a few. I suppose the theory is that we are 'loosening' up a bit and more relaxed.

However, there is a point on that bell shape curve where one more sip and our skills begin to slide again to Courtney Love proportions. The trick is maintaining that buzz where we're all in that groove at the same time but not fumbling over notes.

As a matter of fact, I beliive we are playing tonight and we were already discussing what the drink of the night is going to be.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I don't drink much anymore.
I actually prefer to smoke a little something while I game. It certainly doesn?t make me any better (although I swear that I used to be better at Xwing Vs/and Tie Fighter when I was baked) but I don?t think it makes me play much worse; besides it makes some of those colors pop and claptraps funny.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I watched a guy playing Red Faction Guerilla drunk. That game must've been designed with drunk-off-their-ass chavs in mind....

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MancalaManiac said:
I don't drink much, but a friend once told me that I was the only person he knew that could tank and instance in WoW with a bong in one hand. If I do play inebriated, I just play whatever game I'm currently into, and I usually find that inebriation enhances the experience, if not my skill.
You're really not.

[sub]What? No, not me. Some of my guild mates. Stop looking at me like that. Nothing I do is outside the boundaries of the law...in space.[/sub]

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I disagreed with the article...

I've seen more stoned off their tits Killing Floor, L4D2, CoD 4 players then any other games.

And they were having FUN (and doing kinda bad but meh)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MancalaManiac said:
Actually, I probably am - that friend of mine doesn't know many people who smoke.
I blame the fact that my reading comprehension drops the more alcohol is in my blood stream. *swig*

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Given that I can drink and still play drums on Expert in Rock Band just fine...I'm not entirely inclined to agree that you can't drink and still play something that requires precision.

lleulogyll

Nov 18, 2009
Overall, I pretty much always play games with a drink in hand! I can say that I may not be as good when I'm drunk because I get my a$$ handed to me in MW2 multiplayer but with every other game I play I seem to get by just fine! That's why I stopped playing MW2! ...so I'm a lush! Don't judge me! ;)

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
WoW battlegrounds while drunk is one of the great joys of gaming. It doesn't help you win, but when you do, the taste of victory is so much sweeter. Plus I usually needed 2 or 3 to tolerate the ponderous pace and endless uninformed explication of my guilds raids. A couple while grinding doesn't hurt either.

Performance-wise, inebriation kills any hope of precision targeting, but strategy is usually not affected badly unless you are really plastered.

ArmsAkimbo

Nov 27, 2009
Done this quite a few times playing smash melee, which quickly becomes Super SMASHED Bros. Melee... Oh puns... But yes, it makes it hilarious. Especially when my friends walks into my bat about 20 times while I'm playing Ness.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I tend to get better at my Battle field games with some hard liquor in hand. I stick to 7/7 or Gin and Tonic.

jakeEHTlovless

Dec 8, 2009
well, i have to say, playing the wii is definently not a good idea drunk, especially when there are glass objects involved.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I'll find out if I can game drunk when I'm 21.

I get a little tence during dificult parts of a game so a drink may help a little. Thankfully, I've waited years for sex without any probems, and I can wait three more for beer. I really just don't care enough.