Question of the Day, Feb. 25, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, Feb. 25, 2010

The Limited Edition of BioShock 2 came with plenty of goodies, and even a few surprises. Do you buy the Special Editions of games, or just stick with the less expensive version?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I've never bought the special edition for anything.

Ever.

Its just a bunch of overpriced crap

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I got the tin case version of Bioshock 1. but that is about it. not even a SE version I don't think

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I only buy limited editions if it's a game I've been looking foward to a while, or if I can find it cheap.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
GotY editions yes, Special editions no. If the game hasn't changed why should I pay more for it? No, I don't want a bunch of random crap to litter my room with. I'd rather do that with the oodles of money I'd save, Scrooge McDuck style.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
It really depends on what is included vs the price of special edition.
I really wasn't that interested in special editions until the last few years, previously the really were lame (at least in my opinion). I'm not really a tin person or art book kind of guy, I primarily keep my games in a case that strong sleeves. Granted some people like having tins and such as decoration, I'm just not that kind of guy.
I'm also not a huge fan of special editions that have extra content or other game features that will never be available through any other means. This particularly stings for those of us who don't buy the game around launch or those of us who buy the normal edition and love the game and would want to buy the special edition.
That said some like the Bioshock SE was really cool, I mean a vinyl record is just cool.
But other games and their SE where they throw in like a little toy with unmovable parts or a poster that is just lame.

Dec 14, 2009
If I really like the series then yes, I like to have shiny boxsets too. I could watch all my favourite TV shows and animes online for free, or I could buy a shiny boxset... I like shiny boxsets.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I'll only buy the special edition of a game if it is a game I love, or has something I want. And if I have the necessary funds.
I won't bother buying the special edition normally. Unless it is one of those occasions when the special costs the same or less than the normal :D

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I'd buy the special edition if it contained something REALLY bad ass...

Like a big daddy suit with working drill.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
I bought the special edition of Lord of the Rings Online and was a bit disapointed. The goodies were "meh" but the box-design was pretty though.
Then my friend got Fallout 3s bubble-head and tin casing. ENVY! .. if its a game you have been waiting for, or a title you really love, then a special edition is nice. Its like the difference of a hardcover or paperback.

In an ideal world there would be better special editions and cheaper 'basic' games

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I just want the game but I do have a handful of collectors editions from when they were the same price or the only version available.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
I never buy the Special Edition. I might one day, but it had better be coming with lots of bonuses.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I only buy the SE if it's for some reason the same price as the regular edition and those SE's usually aren't that exciting. I don't really care about all the merch you get with a game, especially before I've even bought it. These things just seem overpriced to me and there's only a handful of games where I'd actually want an action figure of the main character. Even then, it's only going to sit in my room looking pretty so it's not really worth the high price.

Silverhawk65

Feb 25, 2010
I ussually only buy the special if it has free downloadable content or a cool little collectible trinket. Most are not worth the $70-80, too expensive.

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
It comes down to a choice. For the same price, I can get two games, or one game with a book and a little toy. The former has always won for me.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Depends on the game, but I voted for the content.

I don't care much for soundtracks, and while looking through the concept art for some games is quite fun most of it usually ends up on the wiki for the game, especially if it's a larger game that gets its own (Dragon Age, for example). However, things like figurines, special boxes and other nifty trinkets can sometimes make me buy a special edition of a game. I didn't get the Dragon Age CE because it contained nothing interesting, but the ME2 CE came with so many nice things I couldn't pass it up, and I don't regret buying it for a second.

Though as I said it depends on the game. If it's something large and possibly groundbreaking I've been waiting for for a long time, I'll get a special edition. I didn't think I'd actually end up loving Fallout 3 so I didn't shell out the extra 5 (oh yes, five) euros for the CE. Man I hated myself when I saw what it contained.

In short, it's a split between content and the game in question.