More Dark Knight Talent Arrives to Save Superman

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
More Dark Knight Talent Arrives to Save Superman

The co-writer of The Dark Knight [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Knight-BD-Live-Blu-ray/dp/B001GZ6QEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279057268&sr=1-1] has been officially confirmed as a scribe for the next Superman movie.

It looks like Warner really wants to make its next Superman movie a success on par with The Dark Knight, and is using top talent from the Batman reboot to do so. After bringing on Dark Knight director Christoper Nolan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98189-Superman-Could-Get-Dark-Knight-Treatment] as a guiding light, Warner Bros. has now also hired David S. Goyer, co-writer on The Dark Knight, to pen Superman's next theatrical tale.

The movie's current title is planned to be The Man of Steel. It won't be an origin story, which is a good thing, because everybody across all dimensions, even those without Superman in them, already knows the origin of the world's greatest hero. Thomas Tull, head of Legendary Pictures, allegedly went straight to Goyer, who pitched a storyline that would bring Superman back to when John Byrne revamped him in 1986 with The Man of Steel comic miniseries.

Goyer's modern sort of narrative, where The Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet, includes major villains Lex Luthor and Brainiac doing something evil-ish in Metropolis. It also supposedly sets up a "huge Kryptonian mythology." Superman Returns star Brandon Routh will not... return, nor is the film's director Bryan Singer likely to work on The Man of Steel. And no, Nicolas Cage isn't going to star in it either.

Source: io9 [http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-david-goyer-hired-to-write-superman-the-man-of-steel-9286]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Hopefully it won't be as disappointing as I found the other Superman movies.
The Dark Knight was pretty good, and I hope that same goodness appears in this.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
But what about Nicolas Cage's son, Kal-El [http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/02/01/kal-el-cage/]?

Anyhow, I really liked Superman Returns, but what they're doing sounds like a good move anyway.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I don't think you can make a good movie about Superman. It just doesn't feel like a kind of hero you could make a good movie about. Then again, I've always hated Superman. How can a guy with almost no weakness constantly get surprised when the villain pulls out kryptonite for the 100th time?

Styphax

Jun 3, 2009
Hubilub said:
I don't think you can make a good movie about Superman. It just doesn't feel like a kind of hero you could make a good movie about. Then again, I've always hated Superman. How can a guy with almost no weakness constantly get surprised when the villain pulls out kryptonite for the 100th time?
Read All Star Superman. That should be all they need. They can tweak the ending a bit, and if they really want they can wedge the current Superman arc, or Final Crisis in there. But Grant Morrison is all they need. I'm Wary about Goyer; he has made some very bad things as well as some good ones.

Also I know I cry "All Star Superman" on most forums, but it's only because I'm right :)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
DC's President Diane Nelson came out and said that Nolan was/is not involved with the Superman reboot, it was nothing more than a rumor.

thepopeofatheism

Jul 14, 2008
Now, I've never read an actual Superman comic in my life, but...I think there's enough Superman out there to get a pretty damn good impression of the man of steel.

And quite frankly, I really don't think he [i/]has[/i] a third dimension. Creating any kind of script to give Superman any kind of depth should be grounds for a nomination to sainthood because that would be a dolphin-humpin' miracle.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Styphax said:
Hubilub said:
Read All Star Superman. That should be all they need. They can tweak the ending a bit, and if they really want they can wedge the current Superman arc, or Final Crisis in there. But Grant Morrison is all they need. I'm Wary about Goyer; he has made some very bad things as well as some good ones.

Also I know I cry "All Star Superman" on most forums, but it's only because I'm right :)
You're right about what? All you said is "Read All Star Superman". That's not being right, that's just saying stuff.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Hubilub said:
I used to think the same think about Superman... and then I read The Death of Superman and all the stuff that came afterwards. That was pretty much the best super hero comic I have ever read.

I can see Superman in a good movie, and I hope he finally gets one.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
As I said many o' times, it'd be a damned shame that they wouldn't go on in the Reeve superman universe. It's not like comics don't change in style all the time.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I think this could be good news, and hopefully lead to a well done Superman flick. I personally was a bit underwhelmed with Superman Returns. Kevin Spacey was a great choice for Luthor but he was given nothing to work with and had possibly the dumbest plan I'd ever heard of from a movie villain. No one would have wanted to live on that island.

Plus maybe this time around they'll cast someone as Superman who doesn't look like a teenager. Not saying Mr. Routh did a terrible job... he just didn't look the part to me.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I personally enjoyed Returns.
The only hiring news that can excite me is Bruce Timm/Paul Dini. being brought on as a writer, director, or consultant.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Good news, might actually make a good film this time. Although, I'm slightly saddened by Brandon Routh not being in it, I thought he did quite a good job.

Styphax

Jun 3, 2009
Hubilub said:
Styphax said:
Hubilub said:

You're right about what? All you said is "Read All Star Superman". That's not being right, that's just saying stuff.
Read it you'll know what I'm talking about.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
A superman movie i'm actually looking forward to. My problem right now is idk how superman will survive in a dark gritty atmosphere when he's indestructible lol