PlayStation Network Gets Back to Normal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PlayStation Network Gets Back to Normal

The Apocalyps3 is over and it turns out that the whole thing wasn't really all that big a deal after all.

By yesterday morning, it looked like the end of the world as we knew it: PlayStation 3 consoles everywhere were failing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98736-Mysterious-Bug-Cripples-PS3s-Worldwide] due to a suspected "calendar bug" which trapped them in a looping error when they tried to access the PlayStation Network and scuttled Trophy collections and purchased PSN content. One or two hysterical alarmists actually floated the ridiculous idea that Y2PS3 could actually be the harbinger of a much more widespread failure of technology, as computer clocks everywhere suffered time-related breakdowns a decade later than we expected them to.

Alas, the world has not ended, it just got a little glitchy over the weekend. Sony [http://www.sony.com] sounded the all-clear last night; it turns out that it was in fact a calendar bug, caused by the internal clock in "fat" PS3 models recognizing 2010 as a leap year. But it now appears that the problem has pretty much taken care of itself.

"Having the internal clock date change from February 29 to March 1 (both GMT), we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved and that users are able to use their PS3 normally," Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/playstation-network-service-restored/]. "If the time displayed on the XMB is still incorrect, users are able to adjust time settings manually or via the internet."

In a statement to CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=237230?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS], Sony said users who are still having issues with missing Trophies "will need to re-access the game to reinstall the trophies, then exit the game and sync their trophy collection to the server in order to regain previous achievements." Some PS3 owners have reported that their Trophies aren't fully restored even after following those instructions but they are still listed on PSN, presumably meaning that Sony will be able to fully restore them with a future update.

It's good news for the PS3 squad, I suppose, but fixing the problem by just waiting it out for a day isn't exactly the kind of big-bang-boom ending I was looking forward to. Anyone else out there feeling just a little let down by all this?

ElZeru

Nov 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
It's good news for the PS3 squad, I suppose, but fixing the problem by just waiting it out for a day isn't exactly the kind of big-bang-boom ending I was looking forward to. Anyone else out there feeling just a little let down by all this?
That's what I wrote in my E-Mail to Sony. What kind of service is that to keep people waiting for 24h? As a customer I want better service.
Sony makes it really hard to not hate the PS3.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
2/29/2010(?) : A day(?) that will live in infamy. I'm just glad that it was easily resolved (and that I didn't lose my Brutal Legend and Bayonetta trophies).

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
"Yay", I guess...

I'll probably not use my Ps3 today though.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, that's a relief for Hubilub.
It sure is!

I can stop living again!

And to think I spent time with "friends" while trying to survive this awful wait. Good thing I can throw them all away now.

Nothing comes between me and my ps3! Except perhaps the recharging cable for my controller... and some cheetos... and maybe my dog.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I was kind of hoping for an end-of-the-worldsian genesis. So that 30 years from now when Humanity is rebuilding society from the scorched Earth surface, I could say; I was there when it happend!

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Damnit, Sony have foiled the plans that us XBL-Knights had taken so long to hatch.

We'll get you next time sony! Next time!

OT: Didn't affect me, I'm not phased :p, Xboxs don't have such problems ;) :p

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
So it wasn't the start of dreamcast coming back from the dead and destroying the other consoles so it could be the only one? I am disappointed but at least the problem is solved

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hubilub said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
It sure is!

I can stop living again!

And to think I spent time with "friends" while trying to survive this awful wait. Good thing I can throw them all away now.

Nothing comes between me and my ps3! Except perhaps the recharging cable for my controller... and some cheetos... and maybe my dog.
What if you attached the dog to the PS3, and the Cheetos to the side of the controller?

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Zepren said:
Damnit, Sony have foiled the plans that us XBL-Knights had taken so long to hatch.

No, your problems are much, much worse.

Oh, I'm not talking about the RROD. I'm talking about the way it's all green lights everywhere. I hate green! Blue is a much better color.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
Zepren said:

RROD your post is now irrelevant.

Anyhow i have a slim so this didn't really affect me much apart from having no one to play with online.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hubilub said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
It sure is!

I can stop living again!

What if you attached the dog to the PS3, and the Cheetos to the side of the controller?
I would accidentally eat my own controller when not busy trying to remove my dog from the console.

There's a reason why he comes between me and my PS3. He's a douche who likes to try and violate me.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
so there is an advantage to a subscription cost? XD G0 360 go!

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Man that was annoying. I'm just glad I didn't lose any of my trophies or anything.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Anyone else out there feeling just a little let down by all this?
It does have a feeling of apocalyptic-might-have-been.

When Humanity goes, it won't be with a bang or a whimper, just a
"We are sorry for any inconvenience. Things will be fixed in a future update. Thank you for trying the beta of Earth."

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
w-Jinksy said:
Zepren said:

RROD your post is now irrelevant.

Anyhow i have a slim so this didn't really affect me much apart from having no one to play with online.
I've had my Xbox for well over a year now and had no problems at all :p. So now half your post is irrelevant. Whatcha gonna do? huh? huh?

Gincairn

Jan 14, 2010
I'm more concerned that the same thing will happen next year, especially since we know that they did nothing but wait it out.