Valve Teases Mac Support With 6 Images

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Valve Teases Mac Support With 6 Images

Valve will be porting its most popular games to the Mac platform, as pointed out in 6 teaser images.

If you own a Macintosh PC, chances are that you've missed out on playing recent hits from Valve including Team Fortress 2, Portal, Half-life 2, and Left 4 Dead, as well as the support of an application like Steam. That's all about to change. After rumors swirled on MacRumors.com [http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/26/valves-steam-heading-to-the-mac/] when Mac code was discovered in Steam's back end, Doug Lombardi, the marketing VP at Valve, has confirmed that the Bellevue-based developer will indeed be porting its games to Apple's OS X. In typical Valve fashion, this knowledge was teased with 6 amusing images which reference everything from the Mac vs. PC commercials to Apple's famed 1984 ad, substituting Valve characters where appropriate.

The pictures were leaked individually to different sites: Eurogamer [http://www.macworld.com/article/146840/2010/03/valve_mac.html]. We've compiled them here for your amusement.

Here are all six of the images:

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Oooof course. I order a windows laptop to have steam work on it and NOW they say they will port it to macs.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Always interesting to see the creative ways they waste time they could be better spending making Episode 3.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I love the subtle jab at macs in the "I'm a mac, I'm a pc" picture.

For those who didn't get it, they compare Mac's to Portal's gun turrets, and PC's to the TF2's Engineer's Sentry. Portal's gun turrets have a sleek design, and look way more advanced... But they have limited firepower, are easily destroyed by being tilted, and can only fire in a straight line. The TF2 Sentry can rotate 180 degrees, does a lot more damage and survives a lot more.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Oh sweet creator juices! I am excited. Looks like I got a new iMac just in time then...

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Hooray! Happiest day ever!

Also, thank you for calling them Macintosh PC's in the article.

I hate how everyone calls non mac's PC's.

PC stands for personal computer!

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Once again, Valve show their incredible marketing power at work. I've got to say that they're at the top of game companies who know how to handle their IP (though BioWare comes close).

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
"...and I'm a PC."
BahahaHAHAHAHA.

THIS is why I'm a shameless Valve fanboy. I love it when they do stuff like this.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
DarkSaber said:
Always interesting to see the creative ways they waste time they could be better spending making Episode 3.
Since I don't like their games that much (Portal notwithstanding), I much prefer this to the actual games.

It's a revolution in your base. It's... the iSandvich.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Hold on... I already own copies of these games through Steam for the PC, but I'm running them (somewhat poorly) in virtualization through Parallels. Will I need to buy other copies of these games, or will my previous purchases be transferable to the Mac half of my computer?

Also, this is awesome. Those images made me laugh quite a bit.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
ABOUT FREAKING TIME.

Sorry, I just get annoyed at people saying Mac is bad because it's not a good gaming platform, as if it's Apple's fault. If more companies, like Valve, went multiplatform, Mac would be just as valid as PC. This looks to be a pretty big step in that direction.

Count me in!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Well I honestly never thought I'd see that. I'm not convinced I'd get any of the games though, the idea just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I'll at least get Steam though, because I can't think of a reason not to.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
If they get enough games for that platform I might just buy a mac.
They have to lower their prices a bit first, they are like alienware overpriced.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
bassdrum said:
Hold on... I already own copies of these games through Steam for the PC, but I'm running them (somewhat poorly) in virtualization through Parallels. Will I need to buy other copies of these games, or will my previous purchases be transferable to the Mac half of my computer?

Also, this is awesome. Those images made me laugh quite a bit.
I would imagine they should be, and if not straight away, Valve would likely release a patch so that you can, they're the sort of company who would do that.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
basically what everyone is going to say is WERES EPISODE 3
oh and im going to say this

wait ten years for half life 3 not episode 3 but half life 3 yes thats bull but trust me that is what will happen

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
For anyone interested, Portal just got updated once again. Looks like more news on the way!!!!

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Thaius said:
Sorry, I just get annoyed at people saying Mac is bad because it's not a good gaming platform, as if it's Apple's fault. If more companies, like Valve, went multiplatform, Mac would be just as valid as PC. This looks to be a pretty big step in that direction.
You sir deserve a cookie! :D