Valve Announces Steam and Source for Mac

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Valve Announces Steam and Source for Mac

Brace yourselves, PC gaming stalwarts: Valve's has announced its digital distribution service and first-party library of games are coming to the Mac this April.

Hear that? It's the sound of millions of PC gamers crying out in agony as the last bastion of PC elitism finally succumbs to Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, and mil- err, thousands of Mac gamers breathing a collective sigh of relief at no longer having to boot into Windows to play TF2.

OK, maybe it's not that dramatic. But it's hard to understate how huge a development this is for Mac users who have wanted to game on their machines but were severely limited by the number of titles available to them. And while only Valve titles, including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal and the Half-Life series, will be available when the Mac Steam client is released next month, third-party titles will undoubtedly follow suit.

"Our Steam partners, who are delivering over a thousand games to 25 million Steam clients, are very excited about adding support for the Mac," said Valve's Director of Business Development, Jason Holtman. "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge." Steam Play (in conjunction with Steam Cloud) also allows players to stop playing a game on one platform and pick up where they left off on the other>

Mac gamers will be heartened to hear that this isn't a side project for the Bellevue, Washington, developer, either. Not only will the Mac version of Steam run games in OSX natively, rather than via emulation, but they will adhere to the same release schedule as well, starting with the upcoming Portal 2. "We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360," said Director of Steam Development John Cook. "Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth."

As a regular user of both Macs and PCs, this is fantastic news. Good riddance, Boot Camp partition. And three cheers to Valve for bringing gaming to a younger, hipper and better dressed audience!

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Okay valve this PS3 boycott is taking the piss now, am I the only one on this site still wanting to slit gabe newell's throat?.

Anyway I hate steam and its forced digital distribution so the mac port won't help me.

Apr 28, 2008
Well thats nice. Although I doubt it will help stop the elitism of the Widows PC crowd or the arrogance of the mac crowd.

(I know not all mac owners are arrogant, but most of the ones I have met have been complete assholes to me)

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Well, I still have a Macbook, so no gaming for me! Oh well, I can still use the chat.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
As much as I hate Macs for the horrible overpriced and malfunctioning crap hidden under pretenses of hipness that they are... This is a good thing. No reason not to extend the market.

... Wondering though, will the extra coding time be justified by the 10 whole sales they'll gain from this? /facetious.

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
Well, this means I won't have to scrounge up some cash to get a PC anymore...hello team fortress 2....

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Hooray for VALVe and Mac! However, as far as I know the PS3 is still being ignored so they should get to that too.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
Okay valve this PS3 boycott is taking the piss now, am I the only one on this site still wanting to slit gabe newell's throat?.

Anyway I hate steam and its forced digital distribution so the mac port won't help me.
as I have heard it is easier to port a mac game to ps3 then a pc game. So maybe in the near future support will be seen for the ps3.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I mean, of course, good on the mac for having fun like the rest of us ;)

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
wasalp said:
Ninjamedic said:

as I have heard it is easier to port a mac game to ps3 then a pc game. So maybe in the near future support will be seen for the ps3.
They better hurry the fuck up as im polishing my samurai edge right now.

Eldamar

Dec 24, 2008
I am bursting with happiness at this news. Being a PS3 and a Mac owner, I had gotten used to not playing Valves games. I got more and more excited as I read more and more. April cant come soon enough!

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Great to hear! One of my best friends was afraid she wouldn't get to play Portal 2 because she's limited to PS3 and Mac.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ninjamedic said:

I own a good pc but im with ya!