First F.E.A.R. 3 Promo Art Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
First F.E.A.R. 3 Promo Art Revealed

A Spanish gaming magazine has unearthed what is apparently a first look at F.E.A.R. 3 [http://www.amazon.com/F-E-R-3-Xbox-360/dp/B003GSZ9ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278962898&sr=1-1], the rumored third entry in Monolith's creepy horror-FPS franchise.

Information about leaked [http://www.lith.com/] last month via a casting call for a web-only promo for the game. F.E.A.R. 3, which by all appearances will actually be known as F.3.A.R., will feature the return of the characters who made the first game so great: Alma Wade and her deranged, devoted son Paxton Fettel. Her other son, the hero of the first game who was sadly never given a proper name of his own, will also be involved but this time will apparently join his mom and bro on the side of darkness.

A proper look at the new game will be coming next month, according to an unnamed Spanish gaming magazine dug up by Ethan Thomas [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390998]. Beneath them, along the bottom of the frame, a city burns.

It's all rather generic and unexciting save for one thing: What appears to be a well-advanced fetus growing inside Alma (or, perhaps, floating magically above the city.) Gamers who made it to the unspeakably disturbing end of F.E.A.R. 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Fear-2-Project-Origin-Playstation-3/dp/B00163LW7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278962927&sr=1-1] will know what that's all about and it could possibly suggest that despite not having been mentioned in the original rumor, Michael Beckett, the protagonist of the second game, will be returning as well.

Thoughts? Are we looking forward to a return to the more horror-oriented gameplay of the first F.E.A.R., or the greater focus on action that Project Origin brought to the party? And what's this business of replacing letters with numbers in the titles of sequels, anyway? "F.3.A.R." just looks silly. Maybe it's just a placeholder? Keep your eyes open in April to find out!

Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully its as scary as the first one. That and hopefully the AI is as good as it was in the first one.

Both of those seemed absent in F.E.A.R. 2

D_Vanquish

Oct 21, 2009
I'm still recovering from the end of the second game. Oddest Boss fight ever... in away I felt like I lost even when I beat the game.

Sad to hear Point Man is going to be evil this time round, I don't know why but he was awesome despite being a faceless/speechless protagonist.

Ahwell have to wait and see what the actual gameplay and such will be like before judgement is passed.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
The only thing I think these games need to improve is the transition between horror and action. You just had to look around to see whether you needed to be scared or go in, guns blazing.
But even with that, I had a lot of fun with both of the previous two games, so I'll probably pick up this.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Hopefully it is more like the first. Second was still fun, but not scary (one part in the demo made me jump), and the weapons were lame. Was nice to have a real sniper rifle, but the shotgun was complete shit. F.3.A.R. is also a kinda meh name, but the art looks pretty badass...

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
i can only hope its as good as the first.. the second was just poor.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Meh. F.E.A.R 2 was shitty. And the title of this one is woeful. The next one will have to be F.E.4.R

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
When I first read this posts headline I thought: "Dark cover with explosion and a scarry girl that doesn't say anything relevant about the game"

But hey, apparently I'm gifted!

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Exterminas said:
When I first read this posts headline I thought: "Dark cover with explosion and a scarry girl that doesn't say anything relevant about the game"
Sounds like to me like somebody's learning to harness his untapped psychic ability.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its not exacrlyt what I thought of it...a little, underwhelming?

Its suffering from the ME2 box art problem of trying to be too generic and not offend anyone...despite the face thats what this series has been made to do...well, scare us to S*** anyway lol

RaZor921

Dec 30, 2009
Well, he wasn't entirely faceless, you could see his reflection in water, but he had a balaclava over his head with red tinted googles covering his eyes, which made me wonder why the game didn't have a red filter all the time

FretfulGnome

Jan 11, 2010
The cover artwork is horrible, I mean what the hell? And the title F.3.A.R? Are we using 1337 speak now Monolith?

No but seriously, I loved both games, but F.E.A.R 2 wasn't as scary IMO. Looking forward to this one.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Sweet, I enjoyed the other two so hopefully this one will be as good. And feature an equally disturbing ending as the last one, although I am not sure that's possible.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Ah fuck... I just knew they where gonna exchange the E with a 3, I friggin' knew it... HAH. F.3.A.R... I'll probably get it anyways, it'l be awesome.

imp-caretaker

Feb 28, 2010
my sister will be very pleased when she hears there's a new F.E.A.R. coming out.. she was nutters about the other two..

even I was scared a bit(looking over her shoulder as she was playing the game)

FretfulGnome

Jan 11, 2010
Khell_Sennet said:
FretfulGnome said:
No but seriously, I loved both games, but F.E.A.R 2 wasn't as scary IMO.
It's hard to pull off "scary" when they give you an unstoppable mecha exo-frame with limitless ammo and regenerating shields. Try those same levels, but on foot and with the theme from 28 Days Later playing in the background, and the adrenaline might pump a little harder.
You're probably right, but I don't think the theme song for 28 days later would do it for me. It makes me feel more depressed and lonely than it does anything else. I can't be that afraid if I'm too depressed to care ;)

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
xDHxD148L0 said:
I heard these games were good, are they worth checking out?
Yeah, absolutely. The first game had more of a horror thing going on, which I thought was very effective (although there were those who disagreed) while the second is more of a straightforward shooter. The AI was a little less impressive in the second too, I thought, although that could be a consequence of the level design: The original was almost all indoors, office environments, which took some criticism for being overly repetitive but also maximized the capabilities of the enemy AI and made for some incredibly intense fights. The second one... again, just a bit more average, but still well worth playing.

If you're interested in the story, you really need to play them in order (although you can easily skip the expansions, since they're essentially non-canon at this point; fun enough to play as action games but meaningless to the story). There's a lot going on in the second game that will only really make sense if you have knowledge of the original.