Stuff Bob Likes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Stuff Bob Likes

Ever wonder what makes The Escapist's movie critic tick?

Read Full Article

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Bound is such a good movie. I continue to rate it above...hell, every other Watchowski brother movie.
That is all.

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
I love the fighting with honor thing. Like in Saints Row 2 in the
Kanto Connection
Oh yeah, movies.
Can't think of any honourable fighting bits there. Sorry.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I am going to have to disagree about that scene in Doom. In any other movie, that may have worked, but in a movie based on a first person SHOOTER , ending with a fist fight was incredibly stupid. Not that there was anything that wasn't stupid with that movie.

Besides that, great article. If only there was a movie with monkeys, monsters, and lesbians (but not monster or monkey lesbians, that's just gross).

zjspeed

Jan 19, 2010
Good list, but it's not a formula for a good movie. Some elements contradict:

Heroes who are jerks don't fight with honor.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
You liked the hills have eyes remake? That movie was a pile of shit.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Yea I pretty much got to agree with all but the 80s. This is because of the fact that I haven't scene it as good, unless its making fun of itself. The 90s, and whatever you have probably fall into the same category. Most decades don't have a visual landscape(in my opinion) unless it is in jest. Back to the Future II gives the best example of this with the restrant. It comes from the fact, most things don't change that often.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Ho movie Bob not liking Ultimate Fighting... I'll have to take you to the octogon some time and show you why it's good -flex-. Okay though in all seriousness I have to agree I prefer my movie fights to be over the top and not exactly realistic... Ong Bak is probably in my top ten for best fights... even if the scenes are preformed with no wires or special effect, this movie shows an unrealistic depiction of Muay Thai (no matter what any "I'm a black belt in Muay Thai"(yes I actually read that comment on Youtube) fan will tell you). Enter the Dragon being close to the top :D. Monsters is also another big thing for me... though some monsters are a little hit and miss... adding the right monster can do wonders for a film (Imagine the original Predator movie without the predator).

zjspeed

Jan 19, 2010
I've found that I also enjoy heroes who are jerks.

House
Spock
Larry David
Dexter
Jack Bauer
Cartman
everyone on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
and many others

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... Nice list... I guess...

Personally I will take character developement, story, or great artistic direction over action, monsters, over the top gadgets, etc., but I can respect your tastes.

However, don't give Michel Bay any ideas. Given he can't even do a "robots smashing against each other" film right, and how ungodly irrating his 13 comic relief characters were in Revenge of the Fallen, how badly do you think he could mess up a freaking monkey?

loudmouth

Jul 17, 2009
I think i've got to stop lissening to everything you say now. most of that discribes the worst films in the world for me.
I mean dog in a main role in a film automaticaly sings bad film to me and monsters, bad horror film.

Only thing i can agree with is the scripted fight scenes.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Rubbav1 said:
The 50's? Monkeys? You must have loved Indiana Jones 4 then!
Temple of Doom especilly...

lol, well, at least we know you got a soft spot for somethings ^^

Dangerious P. Cats

Dec 21, 2008
I know I'm going to get in trouble for this but I dispute that realistic fighting technique makes for bad fight scenes, in fact I'd go so far as to say the tread away from having authentic techniques in films had degraded them highly. First off I am going to note that not all realistic fighting works as a visual medium. Grappling is really hard to make work. I'm actually quite surprised that UFC/MMA is more popular than boxing, especially with a great many people that aren't martial artists, but there you go. Many of the best martial arts movies come from people trained in and employing real martial arts. Bruce Lee is one of the most defining figures in modern martial arts and his films where visionary for their time, heavily influencing the action genre as a whole. Compare the work of people like Jet Li or Jackie Chan who have trained in Martial Arts and utilise real techniques to action stars with little actual martial arts training, like Matt Damon in the Bourn movies. O.K that's a bit a straw man argument because we've established that we hate shaky cam, but I want bash shaky cam some more and I think this makes my point. Shaky cam seems to have risen in popularity after the trend of having actors train intensively in Kung Fu so that they look half decent at it went into decline (ignoring the wirework most of what is done in Kung Fu movies is real Kung Fu). My theory is that much of this was because not all actors were in sufficient physical condition to do the training and so measures needed to be taken to conceal their lack of skill. Kurosawa needed to do similar things in some of his movies since not all actors were trained in Japanese Swordsmanship (most were, and it made the movies awesome). The few times shaky cam has worked it's because you're not meant to see what's going on. In Batman begins you hardly see batman fight, but that's kind of the point since the scenes are meant to communicate that Batman is stealth incarnate. Likewise in the Bourne Identity the bits where the shaky cam worked were bits where we are introduced to Bourse's fighting ability by being shown that he moves too fast to be seen. In both cases the flighty bits of the scene are over very quickly, to the extent where I wouldn't call then an action sequence. When shaky cam is used in actual action sequences it's annoying and confusing, and if you ever see a making of, much of the time the actor look uncoordinated. I really think that film would benefit from greater authenticity in martial arts, one of my favourite fight scenes of all time is the opening fight from Fearless because it showcases the martial arts ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMKMGhwWxo ). Beyond the obvious Jet Li, Anthony De Longis (the sabre fencer) is a very capable fencer in real life ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7VBxc8WsXc ) and his fencing work in the scene is both compelling and accurate, as is the German Pike work (German systems tend to be quite aggressive). The bare knuckle boxing is not so accurate, but I have a soft spot for fencing so can overlook it. The Kung Fu episode of Human Weapon does go some way to detailing the links between real and film Kung Fu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MWIrSS_sYQ

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
zjspeed said:
I've found that I also enjoy heroes who are jerks.

House
Spock
Larry David
Dexter
Jack Bauer
Cartman
everyone on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
and many others
Cartman? A hero? Just because he's a main character doesn't mean he's a hero. He's not even an anti-hero. He's an evil, mean, selfish prick. We love him for it, but he's still more of a villian.