Question of the Day, April 11, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 11, 2010

Once the Move and Natal launch, all three major consoles will offer motion controls. Do you think this means an eventual end to hands-on controls?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I doubt it will end hand-held controls, not for a while at least. They are too clumsy and un-intuitive. Not to mention that a lot of people play games to relax rather than jumping round their room flailing their arms.

Jul 9, 2008
I can't see it taking over for the same reason I can't see Digital Distribution taking over: people simply like the other option too much.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Horrible poll options. Where's the "There's room for both" option? I don't think motion control is a "fad" as it's going to stick around, but it's not going to eliminate traditional gamepad/mouse & keyboard controls. This is one of those polls that asks "Which is your favorite, cocaine or PCP?" without giving you the option to say "I don't do drugs."

Elonas

Apr 16, 2009
I think controllers will always have a place in gaming, but I don't think it's a... Fad... That seems a bit silly, to me. I think it can be very very effective control means, Metroid 3, for example, was excelent because of the style of controls. So, I don't think it's a fad, because to a degree I quite like motion controls, it's just the *cough* -retarded- *cough* games that come out for the main motion control console right now. Carnival games XXVII is the same as Carnival games XXIV.

Controllers will always have a place, they are my preferred method of gaming next to ye olde mouse and keyboard. But I don't think motion controls are simply a "fad".

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I think there's room for both, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation, although motion controllers and to an extent the types of gestural interface controls as seen in films like Minority Report -seem- like the future, I've never found them all that intuitive and they often misread the motion you're trying to make (For me at least). Even if current controls are rather esoteric seeming to the un-initiated, at least when you press a button it will have an effect, and generally be the one you want instead of 'oops, that's not the correct movement!'. Still, that could just be an issue with the current motion technology, I'm sure they're already on top of improving it.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
It really depends on how good the tech gets, but in todays world the precision and speed of the motion-detectors cannot compete with the wired controller and mouse/keyboard interface.
That and the feel of a controller, the feedback from buttons and triggers is also a speed-enhanceing mechanism.
Flailing your arms around gives you little feedback, because it is hard to judge precisely where the triggerpoint is on a purely visual interface.. therefor its hard to judge how to improve your gamingskills, where to speed up motions, where to save a second.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
How would you perform moves in Street Fighter without a controller? Have you tried doing Ken and Ryu's spinning kick thing?
So no, it wont take over.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Controls need to change in order to advance videogames, but not in the form of motion controls.

Your fingers will always be more agile and precise than just waving you arms around.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Even if motion sensor controls become standard over the crude and barbaric controllers we use now, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Eventually will be. Eventually physical controllers will become obsolete. But, IMO, not anytime soon. I give it a good 20 years at least before the good'ol mouse and keyboard or controller setups go the way of the dodo.