Question of the Day, April 11, 2010

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
think there will be a bit of both but the standard controllers will win out i recon, the motion controllers will have their niche but it wont ever beat out the controllers we have now.
Also, why is everyone forgetting about the PC? there is a motion controller for us coming too, looks to have some potential still don't think id fork out for it tho [link]http://www.razerzone.com/motionsensing/ [/link]

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
While motion control is important, the current version seem very faddy to me.

There is however good reason to suspect that it is the future of interfaces, after all the mouse has proved to be very popular.

It just needs more freedom.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Probably not, but I'm not sure. The motion controls on the Wii are fun, but I prefer handheld controls for more complex stuff.

Hopefully it'll be a bit of both.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
This is a really stupidly worded poll. The question is if they will replace the pad, and yet there's ntohing saying, "They'll be side by side" as they will be and that's hte most accurate prediction for the next oh... ten years or so at least.

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
The answers are a bit extreme. I think motion controls are here to stay but that they will never replace hands-on controls.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Why not coexist? There is room for both.
Best way is to mix them and use both efficiently.

Aug 25, 2009
Hopefully motion control is a fad, until the introduction of full Virtual Reality, which would be awesomeness beyond anything my humble words can describe. Besides, it's just too tiring, which I know was sort of the point, but there's not much market for real gamers who like to wave their arms about all the time.

Jun 13, 2009
God no..
Until a full VR environment with 360 movement and physical feedback is invented, motion control will just be a fad.

Without physical feedback, motion control is just a way to make yourself look like a complete prat while having a lot less fun for the time spent there. Not forgetting most of the games are incredibly basic and not that fun (see: Eyetoy).

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
It's a fad.

No, you don't get a choice. It's fad. I'll make it one if I have to. I will personally burn Wiis, Arcs, Natals and their foul ilk. Thus they will become a fad, like it or not.

Bill_Stanbrook

Oct 13, 2009
I can see motion controls being around in the long term - but as another available control option, rather than a replacement for existing hands-on options. Some games are suited for motion controls, and others favor hands-on controllers.

Now if the console developers want to impress me, they can come up with something with the precision of the PC mouse + keyboard game control setup, as a game console controller.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Sebenko said:
It's a fad.

No, you don't get a choice. It's fad. I'll make it one if I have to. I will personally burn Wiis, Arcs, Natals and their foul ilk. Thus they will become a fad, like it or not.
Yikes whats with hate. Fads don't last this long, It's a gimmick most of the time yes but yikes I got some seriously bad vibes off of you.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Towowo2 said:
Sebenko said:
It's a fad.

Yikes whats with hate. Fads don't last this long, It's a gimmick most of the time yes but yikes I got some seriously bad vibes off of you.
The world is burning.

Run.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I put "not sure" because, as has been pointed out, there is no middle ground. I think the faddishness of motion control will eventually die down, and become part of the regular controller, like analogue buttons. All I can do is hope they keep the "point at the screen" bits, rather than the "enjoy Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" ones.
I doubt either poll option will ever go away until someone gets off their ass and invents the datajack.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
direct brain to game linkages are the thing that's going to put an end to hand held controllers not fancy motion control

hardband

Nov 21, 2009
Although i believe it is just a fad, i actually hope that it is not only if virtual reality happens. I think virtual reality would be amazing! Although i don't think the controller will ever be entirely replaced.

ThePocketWeasel

Mar 24, 2009
I really really hope not. I'd much rather use a control over well a lack of control.
I think it'd make some games incredibly difficult to play without a controller and hell, I'm just too lazy to sit there and wave my arms about like a crazed lunatic. Due to this, I have toned thumbs....if that is in anyway possible.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
A good motion controller, with force feedback and a virtual reality headset, would rule. Currently, we have nothing close - the Wii doesn't have force feedback, virtual reality, or a good system to keep track of the controller.

However, for a motion control system to actually be more immersive than a button controller, the system would have to cost hundreds of dollars. As long as controllers are inferior but much cheaper, people will continue to use them.

sessionxiii

Mar 29, 2010
arcade games like time crisis have been using motion control for awhile, or at least a form of it. if it was really gonna catch on big i think it should have already. even though i prefer a controller or keyboard, some of the motion control games are still fun.