Question of the Day, April 11, 2010

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Where's the option for "there's room enough for both"? It's never been an either-or scenario, despite what the hardcore kiddies think.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Yet another vote for ``I think that they can both coexist''. Some games are inappropriate for motion-controls in the same way that some games would be impossible without them.

DeadMG

Oct 1, 2007
I agree with oppp7. The poll's loaded - you can only choose "ONLY MOTION" or "ONLY NON-MOTION", what's wrong with suggesting "maybe some of both"?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
SavingPrincess said:
Horrible poll options. Where's the "There's room for both" option? I don't think motion control is a "fad" as it's going to stick around, but it's not going to eliminate traditional gamepad/mouse & keyboard controls. This is one of those polls that asks "Which is your favorite, cocaine or PCP?" without giving you the option to say "I don't do drugs."
Agreed. They can coexist nicely - sometimes you want to flail your arms around, and other times you just want to sit down and relax. I voted "i'm not sure", just because two other options are DEFINETLY NOT what i think.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It's definitely a fad or at least I surely hope it is. I like the controller/mouse and keyboard. They're more precise than the Wii. Even if they could make motion controls completely precise, when I play video games I want to relax. Not get up and look like an idiot. That's why being lazy and video games go hand in hand. I want to sit down and relax and play some Gears of War without jumping all around.

The only motion controls I want is virtual reality. Where you actually run around inside the game. Nothing less will do.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
No, motion controls do not mean the end of hand-held controls. They'll both be there, but hand-held controls, I believe, will continue to be the most widely used for many more years to come. Sure, they aren't the most interesting things in the world, but they work.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I dont know, But I think sony and microsoft may be digging a hole they cant get out of, because after all their build up about being a hard core supporter, and they bring some cheap motion control rip off, it is a little sad.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
I want it to be a fad. As many people have said "No one comes home to unwind by wailing their arms like air traffic controllers."

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
TheNamlessGuy said:
Demented Teddy said:
Games with controllers can be very immersive, we do not need and I do not want motion control.
Games with controllers are often more immerse to me, since with motion controls, you feel that you're the one flailing your arms around, but with a controller you barely move, while the character moves like hell.

That makes it more immerse to me, at least.
Unless you use Virtual reality googles.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Unfortunately, I think motion control's the way of the future.

Which sucks. I love the extra weight of a wired controller, I love the sound of a cartridge clicking into place, I love pixel art. Sadly, those all went the way of the dinosaurs, and I think that controllers are next up. The golden age is long gone, and we're currently living in the brown age (I call it this because all games look brown for fear of being called "gay" by hardcores).

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
To reiterate the point made by several previous posters, I go for the excluded 'a bit of both option'. (I voted, 'I'm not sure' to try reflect this)

Motion controls are not a fad, they are great for somethings and enable you to do things which you simply can't do with a traditional physical controller set up. But in precisely the same way, I can't imagine there ever being a point when a motion or even touch system could replace a keyboard.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
I'm gonna go with Yahtzee and agree that you play video games to wind down and you can't really do that if you're flailing your whole body all over the place.

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
The future is in motion control. But it is not the kind of wii or wand. It is more to do with augmented reality tablets. A mix of natal and the keyboards of Mass Effect. Only even the keyboard will be obsolite as handwriting software becomes norm for typing.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I'm sure that way, way in the future, a lot of things will be, but in the more immediate future, I doubt it, and hope not.

pope_of_larry

Oct 18, 2009
not till it's perfected i mean how could would it be to swing a sword and the game swings it the same way.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I hate motion controls. I like using them for fun and simple party games but when it comes to more dramatic games built around a huge plot then theres no way id be able to spend nearly as much time playing games. AInt no way im standing up flailing my arms for more than one or two hours whereas with a normal controller i could spend days playing and not get physically tired