Blockbuster Considers Games-By-Mail, Netflix Bashes Idea

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blockbuster Considers Games-By-Mail, Netflix Bashes Idea

Blockbuster thinks that consumers might want their movies and videogames mailed from a single source, but Netflix doesn't.

Blockbuster was once synonymous with retail movie rentals, but has seen a huge decline in business since the advent of movie-by-mail rental services such as Netflix. Perhaps in an attempt to get back on top, Blockbuster may be adding videogames to its own mail service called Total Access that the company implemented to compete in today's new rental market.

An email forwarded to the Consumerist [http://consumerist.com/2010/04/blockbuster-considering-adding-games-by-mail-service.html] read:

In addition to sending your favorite movies by mail, Blockbuster is considering giving Total Access members like you the ability to rent video games by mail for no additional charge. You would be able to choose from over 3,000 different games, including many popular new releases. All you'd have to do is add them to your Queue, and we would send them to you just like we do your favorite movies! Please take a moment to complete the following short survey so we can gauge your interest.

The key here is that Blockbuster wouldn't be charging its customers anything extra, in effect merging both movie and videogame rentals into one service for free. Depending on if Blockbuster ends up implementing these videogame-by-mail rentals, and gets them properly up to speed, Total Access might be worth subscribing to.

The Consumerist picked the brain of Steve Swasey, VP of Corporate Communications for Netflix, on the issue, who expressed zero interest in the videogame-by-mail market. Swasey said that: "Videogames are a different economic model than movies and TV episodes ... A great movie from 1972 is still a great movie but who wants to play Madden '95?"

I'm not a business guy, but Swasey's view seems awfully skewed by sports videogames like Madden that come out every year. Even in their case I would guess that there is still profit to be made on rentals of Madden even if the game discs become coasters in a year. Disregarding EA Sports titles, there are plenty of people that will conceivably still want to play titles such as BioShock in 10 years, and for goodness sake even those that will still want to play Atari 2600 or NES titles as they do today. Could videogames be a way for Blockbuster to get a leg, or at least a pinky toenail, up on Netflix?

Source: Consumerist [http://consumerist.com/2010/04/blockbuster-considering-adding-games-by-mail-service.html]

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
FUCK YES!

Pardon my language, but I am so god damn giddy. I rent a lot, and my local blockbuster seems on the verge of going out of business and the nearest other one is a couple towns over. This is perfect!

Hooray!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
"Videogames are a different economic model than movies and TV episodes ... A great movie from 1972 is still a great movie but who wants to play Madden '95?"
And therefore Blockbuster won't need to waste money on buying a massive back catalogue. Score 1 Blockbuster.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
For once I've got to go with Blockbuster on this. Especially if they kept an inventory of last-gen games (lots of people still have PS2s and original XBoxes) up for rental. It could make them a tidy sum.

Although with the USPS considering stopping Saturday deliveries [http://enidnews.com/opinion/x1687701193/Dropping-Saturday-delivery-may-only-make-U-S-Postal-Service-s-problems-worse] possibly screwing up things with all sorts of Netflix-like services, it might behoove Blockbuster to hold off on the idea for a bit.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
That Netflix guy seems to be wearing massive irony blinkers. People said similar things about how netflix's model wouldn't work out and look at them now.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Although with the USPS considering stopping Saturday deliveries [http://enidnews.com/opinion/x1687701193/Dropping-Saturday-delivery-may-only-make-U-S-Postal-Service-s-problems-worse] possibly screwing up things with all sorts of Netflix-like services, it might behoove Blockbuster to hold off on the idea for a bit.
... Man, Canada Post gets enough schtick that it doesn't deliver on Sunday, let alone that.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Netflix is just complaining because they don't want to do business, not because they think its a bad idea. If marketed correctly blockbuster could take over in sales.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Cryo84R said:
Gamefly anyone?
Except that I could get Demon's Souls and Iron Man shipped to me at the same time while only paying for one sub fee. Sounds like a much better idea to me.

barinelg

Apr 9, 2010
I think that it could give them a somewhat larger market, especially if they have it as a separate service. Could then directly combat GameFly. If they make it affordable, then gamers who use Netflix may be persuaded somewhat to switch. Time will tell.

Punkgasm

Mar 1, 2010
yeah i side with blockbuster on this. it would be like having netflix AND gamefly, but only paying for one. sounds like a good deal to me!

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Um... yeah. Freakin' awesome idea! (Not sarcasim, by the way). I like to rent stuff, and having just one price for movies and games would make life a whole lot sweeter. I'm surprised they haven't done this already.

Also, I don't rent by mail, but this might change my mind.

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
For me Gamefly was kind of a waste of money because I don't have a lot of time for video games, but if I could get a rental service for both movies and games, I'd definitely sign up. The Netflix guy is obviously completely clueless about the matter if the best argument he can come up with is that people won't want to rent old versions of Madden, which isn't necessarily true.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
The main deal breaker for me on this one would be netflix like services on the 360/PS3/Wii. Since you can be assured there wont be 'Buster on demand on 360, I wont cancel netflix, and since i already pay ~ $5 for every game i buy (Buy it day one, beat it in 2-3 days, ebay it for 55 + shipping) I have no need for a gamefly like subscription. Sorry BB, you wont be getting my vote.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Given that older titles cannot be played on newer consoles (unless you have a PC or download via XBLA, PSN, or WiiWare) Netflix has a good point. DVDs can be played anywhere, even on Blu-Rays, but older video games (even from the last generation) might have backwards compatibility issues with newer consoles. I know the PS3 is the worst of the three, which is a shame since the PS2 had most of the best games of the last console generation. And don't even bother with a PSX disk, the PS3 will just laugh in your face. Downloading older games is a fine option for now, but it would be nice for downloads to have a rent option instead of a purchase option

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Well, people won't rent Madeen '95, so Blockbuster doesn't need to get it. How about that idea, not getting things that people won't buy. Complete madness, isn't it? [/sarcasm overload]

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
The netflix guy seems kind of butthurt. I'm not really a game/movie renter, but this plan seems like a good idea. Even better that it's one service.