Blockbuster Considers Games-By-Mail, Netflix Bashes Idea

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
Seeing as how I exclusively rent games, this would be a worthwhile feature. My favorite place to rent them has been Blockbuster because up until a few months ago, there were no real late fees for them. You could rent them out for weeks and pay essentially nothing more than a miniscule restocking fee. It made the initially high rental cost so worth it, and they were my store of choice. They've since done away with that business model, which is smart on their part considering the best games were almost impossible to find in after their release date, and I've been forced to go elsewhere.

If they were to start this up I'm absolutely certain it would be a success. There are tons of people subscribing to both Netflix and another by mail service for their games, like GameFly. If someone was able to get both movies and games for the same cost of just one or the other, without a doubt people would flock to it. The real question is can they implement it smoothly? What will the turnaround be like? How will the supply vs. demand be?

If they can get on par with GameFly and Netflix, their will be an immediate shift in power. Also, the the whole argument from Netflix is total and complete B.S. for many reasons. They can easily sell used games on their site, just like they sell used movies. That way when games stop doing well they can turn a nice profit just like Gamestop does on the used games.

Skinny Razor

Mar 9, 2010
qbanknight said:
Given that older titles cannot be played on newer consoles (unless you have a PC or download via XBLA, PSN, or WiiWare) Netflix has a good point. DVDs can be played anywhere, even on Blu-Rays, but older video games (even from the last generation) might have backwards compatibility issues with newer consoles. I know the PS3 is the worst of the three, which is a shame since the PS2 had most of the best games of the last console generation. And don't even bother with a PSX disk, the PS3 will just laugh in your face. Downloading older games is a fine option for now, but it would be nice for downloads to have a rent option instead of a purchase option
This was my first thought when I read the article.

Also, I've been using Blockbuster-by-mail for a long time now and if you don't want to play the gaming equivalent of The Blind Side but instead something similar to an obscure HK flick, be prepared for a big fat disappointing "Unavailable" in your queue. Maybe not a problem for many, but still.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
We already use a Total Access account to watch tv series season by mail, and exchange in-store for new release movies... We get to catch up on past shows we wish we hadn't missed, and then watch a new Blu-Ray every once in a while.

Adding the chance to preview a game before purchasing it sounds great to me. My PS3 library is very small, both due to monetary constraints, but also because anything I DO own has to have more replayability than simply multiplayer fragfests. (Like finally playing AvP, but not feeling obligated to go online rather than delegate the $40+ disk to coaster duty.). And, if they have an affordable-enough purchase system in place, it'll be just that much cooler to come across a rare gem and keep it.

Ossum

Apr 19, 2009
Well... Blockbuster around here is synonymous with ridiculous pricing and terrible game catalogues. If they actually can let me rent games for pretty much any console without suddenly finding older stuff dropping off the list, then cool. But I doubt it.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Dendio said:
Blockbuster needs to expand their video game services to include PC games. I'd definately drop Netflix if Blockbuster could send me DVD rentals along with PC games. It'd be the one stop shop for PC entertainment!
That would be Gametap. http://www.gametap.com/

However beware if you use a 64 bit operating system you won't be able to play the PC games on it. At least thats what happened to me last time I tried to use it. They may have fixed it I don't know.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
it actually has a valid point. There are some SHITTy gams out there that will just sit in their warehouses. I'd much prefer a download service or streaming service to game oldies but that mail rent a game thing would be cool for recent titles.

|CoD|Sonic

Apr 3, 2010
-Ahem- I am actually a Manager at A Blockbuster and this Program they are speaking of is a huge success I can't tell you how many people are so excited that we can do this for them.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
if it was fifteen dollars a month and i could have out two movies and one game at a time and it was the "rent to own" set-up then I would be interested.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I think it sounds great. I'm a PC gamer, but if I can't rent games, that would encourage me to buy a console too. I would even forgive Blockbuster for buying out Major Video.

What does he mean "Madden 95?" as if they'd be renting out PC games, or cartrages & discs for last generation consoles?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
As an employee for Blockbuster, I gotta say this not only sounds like something that needs to be done [about two years ago] but the buster should be putting up blue boxes to compete with those red ones

of course, neither of those are likely to happen and I'll likely be out of a job in the next few months weeks

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
My small town in Alaska has a Blockbuster and I've been using Blockbuster Online for over 3 years.
I pay $21.19 a month for unlimited(I was a member before they changed plans around) 3 movies out and 1 print out coupon for free movie per month.

The franchise here used to accept BBOs previous plan of buy 2 previously viewed DVDs and get one free *equal or lesser value* with their print out coupon.
Which is how I came to end up with slightly over 200 DVDs(at last count)

This plan,if it doesn't add any more cost..sounds good.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...Gamefly? So the failing giant wants to emulate it's two near-murderers, Netflix and Gamefly, by doing what they both offer?

Bit late, isn't it?

egglsenmarten

Apr 12, 2010
Yaaaaaaaaaaaa,its a very nice thought about this topic,i read this artilce in this artilce have more information.tHANKS TO share your thought with us.

Cho Yung Tea [http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/cho-yung-tea-review-amp-free-trial-2124982.html]

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
I gotta give it Blockbuster, I don't know how a company that has been on the verge of bankruptcy for at least five years can stay in business.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Netflix is just pissed they didn't think of it first. To bad there isn't a Blockbuster in my town.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Thus, the world just go lazier.

Calumon: Does this mean we're going to get fat?
Going to?
Look Around you. I think I'm the fittest person in my office here.

This is a great idea Blockbuster should've had 5 years ago. Even console owners will want to stick with Netflix because of the streaming feature.

I'm already subscribed to Netflix and Gamefly, so unless this is significantly cheaper, I'll be sticking with them. And even then, we like having a separate list of games and movies. Will blockbuster lump them all together?