Blockbuster Considers Games-By-Mail, Netflix Bashes Idea

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
As I live in Canada, a market Netflix doesn't bother servicing, I don't care a whit about the competition. Blockbuster exists here and if they actually served their customers in the GWN with a mail service for movies and games they'd have NO COMPETITON!. ZIP.ca is still a nogo on games...

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I think this will give them a boost, but a small one. The biggest problem is that if I take, say 3 weeks, to beat a video game, will I be going without my weekly movie for that time?

If BB makes it so you have one game and one movie out at a time, I think they could get a leg-up as people could consolidate their Netflix and GameFly into a possibly lower payment. Otherwise, I don't think it will do them any good.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
As I live in Canada, a market Netflix doesn't bother servicing, I don't care a whit about the competition. Blockbuster exists here and if they actually served their customers in the GWN with a mail service for movies and games they'd have NO COMPETITON!. ZIP.ca is still a nogo on games...
If Netflix was smart they'd buy Zip.ca and get and almost assuredly have an account with virtually every XBL Gold subscriber. Naw instead they try to stream HD capable movies to the Wii so owners can watch them in SD... It's almost as bad as the Hulu disease.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
If they also incorporated the Watch Instantly service type of thing, this would be enough to get me to consider moving from Netflix to Blockbuster. I'd say that Netflix is way wrong on this one, I'd love to get both from one service instead of having to have two subscriptions.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
qbanknight said:
And don't even bother with a PSX disk, the PS3 will just laugh in your face.
Wrong. I play all of my old PSX games on my PS3 all the time. FFVII, VIII, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto etc. Its just the PS2 games that have troubles, and thats because the environment for those to run in required both a emulation program, and a seperate processing chip. The processing chip was cut from the console in order to drop price.

igotsakabob

Mar 17, 2010
I've been a Netflix subscriber for about 3 years now, but if Blockbuster does this right, I might be switching over. It's just too convenient to be able to get both movies and games from the same source with no extra fee, rather than subscribing to two separate services.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The VP has a point, but he fails to notice that Madden isn't the only popular game. People are still buying Halo 3 and Modern Warfare despite their releases being over 2 years ago. People would still love to play old games that are diffcult to find and would gladly order from Blockbuster if they had them.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I haven't used Gamefly in years but I recall their turnaround time being pretty slow. I can see the appeal of the combined subscription as I don't think they even offer that in their stores. It's not going to make me switch from Netflix to Blockbuster, though, unless their movie rentals can top Netflix; specifically where new-releases are concerned. We waited months for "Couples Retreat" to hit our mailbox, it was forever in "very long wait" limbo. Same for some other new-releases, which my wife has been trying to circumvent using those Redbox rental kiosks. Only pain with those is having to go to and from them (and waiting behind the yokels who browse forever...know what you want, rent it, get out of the way!) ala the classic video-rental stores. Granted, renting games would probably make my kids happy...the more I type here the more I'm intrigued with BB's proposal. Might have to keep an eye on it, chat with the missus.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
might just get a total access membership because it's a gamefly and a netflick in a combo

and now I feel that netflicks will try to merge with gamefly to compete

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
There's already a service that does this. It's called Gamefly.

Oh sure, I WISH they'd re-introduce, say, NES and Genesis games into their service, but I know they're not gonna.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Poor Blockbuster. I haven't rented a game since I was a kid. Nowadays I see no reason to rent games. I buy them, play them, and eventually sell them in exchange for another game. I feel sorry for Blockbuster because who goes to video store when you can rent movies at the grocery store or local fast food place. I don't think they can do much else besides close up all their retail outlets and jump into the online business with both feet. I can only imagine someone going to the video store out of loyalty and not out of common sense.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Uhhh...Gamefly?

http://www.gamefly.com/

That's what I use. Rent most FPS games. Because they're short.

They'll be beat on TWO fronts. Netflix and Gamefly. Kicking dey ass.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
go Blockbuster
I really like the store close to where I am, it's very convenient and the people are nice

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Blockbuster needs to expand their video game services to include PC games. I'd definately drop Netflix if Blockbuster could send me DVD rentals along with PC games. It'd be the one stop shop for PC entertainment!

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Blockbuster: That sounds like a good idea.
Netflix: Hey! That's OUR multimillion dollar genius idea! F*ck off!

You can just smell the hypocrisy . . .

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Well, it would mos likely work. Here in britain we have lovefilm, which I use, and that charge extra for the ability to rent games as well s DVDs. I think it's. Good idea for blockbuster, maybe it will make them competitive