48÷2(9+3)=?

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Breadzombie said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Breadzombie said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Breadzombie said:
Seriously? That's like third grade stuff right there!Second grade even!

It's 2. No other answer is true or acceptable in any form or way.

How you people even pass math if you can't solve this.And I'm not trying to be a douche or anything , but this simply amazes me !
Yes indeed, it's amazing how wrong (and proud of it) you are.

Multiplications and Diversions have to be interpreted from left to right, otherwise any computer would get confused with longer equations. Try something like 4/3*(2+1)/5 and then what?

so 288 is the correct answer. Any math software including google and wolfram alpha tell the same.
4/3*(2+1)/5 isn't hard at all.It's 0,79(or 0,78 depending on how many numbers you take from the repeating decimal)
the answer is 4/5 or 0.8. Parsing from left to right. I have no idea how you end up with 0.79 but if you meant 0.8 then you were parsing correctly and you would end up with 288 at the OP's formula

4/3 = 1,3333333inf
3/5 = 0,6
1,333333infx0,6 = 0,79 or 1,3 x 0,6 = 0,78

I have no idea how you end up with 0,8 and as i said it's second grade math , so no i'm not proud of it at all.
By using decimals you've rather confused yourself. Do it as fractions:

(2+1) = 3

4/3*3/5 = 12/15 = 4/5 = 0.8

Or else learn to use limits.

Breadzombie

Jun 7, 2010
Broady Brio said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Broady Brio said:
48÷2(9+3)=?
48÷2x12=?
48÷24=?
=2
At 48÷2x12 <- why do you assume "2x12" belong together? There is your mistake, they are not married :)

so ... 288
Married? Can't say I've heard that term in Mathematical situation before.

I only assumed because when for example 2 is next to a bracket like so, I've been taught it's 2 times whatever's in the brackets.

For example;
2(8)
I've been taught that is equal to 2 x 8, which is 16. Unless both me AND my scientific calculator is wrong...
Ye , actually it's exactly as you say.I couldn't find the words to phrase it since I'm really sleepy.

Jun 11, 2008
Broady Brio said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Broady Brio said:
48÷2(9+3)=?
48÷2x12=?
48÷24=?
=2
At 48÷2x12 <- why do you assume "2x12" belong together? There is your mistake, they are not married :)

so ... 288

I only assumed because when for example 2 is next to a bracket like so, I've been taught it's 2 times whatever's in the brackets.

For example;
2(8)
I've been taught that is equal to 2 x 8, which is 16. Unless both me AND my scientific calculator is wrong...
No the problem is when it is written as shown here there is no ambiguity like with the other equation. What you really have after brackets have done which you have stated is 48÷2*12=288. In this case you solve the equation from left to right as division comes before multiplication so 48/2 = 24. Then 24*12= 288.

Stamaris

Sep 13, 2010
It's 288.

Everybody gets to 48/2(12), but 2(12) != (2*12)
It should be read as 48/2*12 (with no brackets) => 288

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Lizardon said:
Why does this thread keep coming up?

I find it hilarious that everyone is using the Order of Operations, but arriving at different answers.

To add my two cents, 288. Brackets first, then multiplication and division going left to right.
i can't wrap my head around how so many people seem proud to get things wrong cause they use "BEDMAS" or whatever (we were never taught this in school as an aid, we understood how * and / were before + and - but were equal since division by a number is infact a multiplication)

in this case dividing by two means multiplying by a half, which gives you 2 multiplications and left to right applies even in this weird universe where people think division > multiplication

if

48÷2(9+3)=?

equals

48*0.5*(9+3)=?

than

48*0.5*12=?

and finally

24*12=288

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Cogwheel said:
Well, you'd handle the division first.

Which would mean it's 24x12, so yes, 288.

Edit: Apparently I'm a complete idiot.
No you're right.(The order is technically wrong but you have correct answer.)

48 divide by 2 times(9+3)= 48/2(9+3)

The 1st step should be adding what's in the " () " which is 9+3 which equals 12.
48/2(12)

Now that there isn't any work to be done with in the parentheses you don't use the sign anymore however if you don't have a Plus,Minus or Division between the parentheses and the rest of the math question it's assumed it's a times signs which puts it as the second priority to the division sign already present to the left in the question.
48/2x12

Because of P.E.M.D.A.S. if have times and dividing you do them left to right unless a Parentheses or exponent is present then you'd do those first but none remain now so you divide 42 by 2 and then multiply the product "24" by 12 equaling 288

48/2x12, 48/2=24, 24x12=288

4li3n

Jan 3, 2009
Except unlike the last time the symbol used kinda makes it clear that the 48 is divided by 2 and then you get the brackets...

And one last time: DIVISION AND MULTIPLICATION HAVE THE SAME PRIORITY IN MATH (as do addition and subtraction)... the equation should be read like this:

48*0.5*(9+3)

Now everyone tell me what that equals.

Unless you interpret x(z+y) as one element like some guy was that one time because the math level/type he was at used that symbol or something.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Glademaster said:
So since there is no ambiguity here as he has not used the / which can be used for either a fraction line or division
In what way do you imagine fractions and division to be different?

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
Iznat said:
BEMDAS

2(9+3)
= 2(12)
= 24
therefore 48/24
= 2

There is no argument to this >_<
Doesn't multiplying out brackets count as multiplication and therefore come after Division in BIDMAS?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Titan Buttons said:
must not be a scientific Calculator, normal ones are not programed to prioritise brackets
cookyy2k said:
Most calculators also say sqrt(-1) is syntax error and that ain't right. those things need to be used as a tool not trusted completly. Also different calculators say different results for this since it's ambiquous.
My calculator is a Casio fx-82AU and it clearly says "Scientific Calculator" on the front. They're given out by our school for use from years 8-12 and are approved by the Board of Studies to use in all exams. Trust me when I say that this calculator is the correct one to work an equation out with.

Besides, I showed you how I did it on paper with the working so the calculator is irrelevant.

4li3n

Jan 3, 2009
Sikachu said:
Glademaster said:
So since there is no ambiguity here as he has not used the / which can be used for either a fraction line or division
He doesn't what he meant is that a fraction symbol can be seen as including everything after it below the fraction if you use it in a straight line of text instead of the classical way of stuff being clearly under and above.

Daniel Charlton

Feb 24, 2010
Division and multiplication are treated as equals so its just the closest one to the left is done first, the same goes with adding and subtracting

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Edit: There is a reason I use my TI-89, apparently I fail at math. without it.

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
Broady Brio said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Broady Brio said:
48÷2(9+3)=?
48÷2x12=?
48÷24=?
=2

so ... 288

For example;
2(8)
Yes, your calculator assumes this too. But that interpretation is just because because the formula is written 2(x)not 2*x (or so i assume, because otherwise your calc is simply wrong). In my school scientific calculators were forbidden because of stuff like this.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
4li3n said:
Sikachu said:
Glademaster said:
He doesn't what he meant is that a fraction symbol can be seen as including everything after it below the fraction if you use it in a straight line of text instead of the classical way of stuff being clearly under and above.
So what one would write as (a+b)/(c+d) if they wanted to be understood. Yeah ok, I get it now.

Aug 21, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Titan Buttons said:
must not be a scientific Calculator, normal ones are not programed to prioritise brackets
cookyy2k said:
Most calculators also say sqrt(-1) is syntax error and that ain't right. those things need to be used as a tool not trusted completly. Also different calculators say different results for this since it's ambiquous.
My calculator is a Casio fx-82AU and it clearly says "Scientific Calculator" on the front. They're given out by our school for use from years 8-12 and are approved by the Board of Studies to use in all exams. Trust me when I say that this calculator is the correct one to work an equation out with.

Besides, I showed you how I did it on paper with the working so the calculator is irrelevant.
They do complex numbers at school now? Sorry to burst your bubble but I think your calculator was chosen not for its superior functionality but for its modest retail price.