48÷2(9+3)=?

Jun 11, 2008
Sikachu said:
Glademaster said:
So since there is no ambiguity here as he has not used the / which can be used for either a fraction line or division
In what way do you imagine fractions and division to be different?
They are different but in the formation of the equation 48/2(9+3) it can be view as 48/2 then multiply by 12 or 48/24 as to add the necessary brackets (48/2)(9+3) and 48/[2(9+3)]. Without the extra brackets the equation 48/2(9+3) could be either if you view it as as 48 over 2 * 12 or 48 over 2*12 if that explains it any better.

Breadzombie

Jun 7, 2010
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Breadzombie said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Breadzombie said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Breadzombie said:
Seriously? That's like third grade stuff right there!Second grade even!

It's 2. No other answer is true or acceptable in any form or way.

How you people even pass math if you can't solve this.And I'm not trying to be a douche or anything , but this simply amazes me !
Yes indeed, it's amazing how wrong (and proud of it) you are.

Multiplications and Diversions have to be interpreted from left to right, otherwise any computer would get confused with longer equations. Try something like 4/3*(2+1)/5 and then what?

so 288 is the correct answer. Any math software including google and wolfram alpha tell the same.
4/3*(2+1)/5 isn't hard at all.It's 0,79(or 0,78 depending on how many numbers you take from the repeating decimal)
the answer is 4/5 or 0.8. Parsing from left to right. I have no idea how you end up with 0.79 but if you meant 0.8 then you were parsing correctly and you would end up with 288 at the OP's formula

4/3 = 1,3333333inf
3/5 = 0,6
1,333333infx0,6 = 0,79 or 1,3 x 0,6 = 0

I have no idea how you end up with 0,8 and as i said it's second grade math , so no i'm not proud of it at all.
4/3 = 1 and a third. (4/3) * (3/5) = (12/15) = (4/5) = 0.8. Go back to 2n class, mate.

oh, and (48/2)*12 is still 288.
Okay, I admit I fucked that one up since it's not really a repeat decimal , I calculated it in my mind witch I guess is not a good think when you haven't slept for 2 day.So yes, the answer is 0,8.

But this is also true.
Broady Brio said:
Thomas Rembrandt said:
Broady Brio said:
48÷2(9+3)=?
48÷2x12=?
48÷24=?
=2
At 48÷2x12 <- why do you assume "2x12" belong together? There is your mistake, they are not married :)

so ... 288
Married? Can't say I've heard that term in Mathematical situation before.

I only assumed because when for example 2 is next to a bracket like so, I've been taught it's 2 times whatever's in the brackets.

For example;
2(8)
I've been taught that is equal to 2 x 8, which is 16. Unless both me AND my scientific calculator is wrong...
So yeah , it's 2.

L3G0kees

Mar 25, 2010
48÷2(9+3)=?
48÷2*12=?
24*12=?
24*12=288
first do the brackets
the ÷ and * are threated ase equals so you work them out from left to the right

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
2 sayeth the dude with the math degree, although 288 is also valid. And the pox be upon anybody who write such terribly stated problems he continued. And to those who who cite BEMDAS or other such mnemonics, Google, or Wolfram-Alpha...kindly take derivatives of yourselves with respect to...living(?) until you vanish.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
endnuen said:
48÷2(9+3)=?
48/(9*2+3*2)
48/(18+6)
48/24

I would say the invisible multiplication between 2 and the left bracket makes it so.

For it to be interpreted as a fraction, when written in a computer format, there would have been need for a bracket around 48/2.
So (48÷2)*(9+3)=?
But since there isn't it isn't.
no you can't use distributive law when you can still simplify your equation in parentheses

Mar 9, 2010
Always deal with brackets first. So, if you expand the brackets fully you get:

48÷2(9+3)
= 48÷24
= 2

Why is this even a question? It's a basic maths priniciple that you always expand your brackets before doing anything else. The 2 is a part of the brackets, like it or not, and you must include that into the answer. The answer is and always will be 2.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
This is like the 5th time I've seen this thread. When BEDMAS or whatever you've been taught says to do brackets or parenthesis first, it means WHAT IS INSIDE OF THEM ONLY. You don't multiply whats beside it next just because there used to be some brackets there, that doesn't make any sense.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
:sigh:

Granted, we're all supposed to be using PEMDAS (or something similar, depending on country of origin), it seems strange how quickly we forget how it really works.

48 / 2 (9 + 3) = ??

As I've been taught ages ago by those more qualified in mathematics than I am, whenever presented with ambiguous problems of this sort, group operations together to prevent FAIL - add in another set of parentheses and the implied operator:

(48 / 2) * (9 + 3) = ??

Which works out to:

(24) * (12) = ??

And from there it's easily solved:

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Glademaster said:
Sikachu said:
Glademaster said:
So since there is no ambiguity here as he has not used the / which can be used for either a fraction line or division
They are different but in the formation of the equation 48/2(9+3) it can be view as 48/2 then multiply by 12 or 48/24 as to add the necessary brackets (48/2)(9+3) and 48/[2(9+3)]. Without the extra brackets the equation 48/2(9+3) could be either if you view it as as 48 over 2 * 12 or 48 over 2*12 if that explains it any better.
I get what you mean now (I think) but I don't think it's ambiguous. If one wants to use '/' as a fraction line denoting numerator and denominator, the only way to write it if there are any operations to be done is by bracketing the numerator and denominator on either side.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
48 ÷ 2 * (9+3)
= 48 ÷ 2 * 12
= 24 * 12
= 288

Do not, do not, do not multiply the 2 and the 12. Multiplication/Division are of equal priority and go left to right.

You wouldn't say
48 - 2 + 12
= 48 - 14
= 34
Would you?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Durananrananrananran said:
MercurySteam said:
Titan Buttons said:
must not be a scientific Calculator, normal ones are not programed to prioritise brackets
cookyy2k said:
Most calculators also say sqrt(-1) is syntax error and that ain't right. those things need to be used as a tool not trusted completly. Also different calculators say different results for this since it's ambiquous.
My calculator is a Casio fx-82AU and it clearly says "Scientific Calculator" on the front. They're given out by our school for use from years 8-12 and are approved by the Board of Studies to use in all exams. Trust me when I say that this calculator is the correct one to work an equation out with.

Besides, I showed you how I did it on paper with the working so the calculator is irrelevant.
They do complex numbers at school now? Sorry to burst your bubble but I think your calculator was chosen not for its superior functionality but for its modest retail price.
Well if the whole county uses them and has no issue, I fail to see how the RRP ($20AU) matters at all.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
You would get 2 since you first calculate the brackets, so:
48/2(9+3)=48/(18+6)=48/24=2

When calculating brackets you first multiply in, then solve the bracket and then use that result in the rest of the equation.
This is standard mathematical procedure.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Cogwheel said:
Well, you'd handle the division first.

Which would mean it's 24x12, so yes, 288.

Edit: Apparently I'm a complete idiot.
Axolotl said:
There is no correct answer. The whole BEDMAS or Order of Operations thing is primarily based on custom and is taught differently in different parts of the world. The question uses that to be ambiguous, it is not a "real" mathematical question so much as hook to try and start semantical arguements based on pointless mathematical principles that nobody above the age of 12 should be bothering with.

TL:DR It's a troll thread.
you know a computer actually uses these operations in a uniform fashion right? and without that uniformity, you wouldn't be able to write that message.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Breadzombie said:
Seriously? That's like third grade stuff right there!Second grade even!

It's 2. No other answer is true or acceptable in any form or way.

How you people even pass math if you can't solve this.And I'm not trying to be a douche or anything , but this simply amazes me !
Order of operations is usually left to right.
Sources:
http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_operations.html
http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/operations_exponents.html
http://www.math.com/school/subject2/lessons/S2U1L2GL.html
http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html
http://www.aaamath.com/pro73c-order-of-operations.html

Yeah, I agree, it's a wonder some of these manage to pass math. So many who don't know the difference between left or right I guess. It's 288.

Jun 11, 2008
Sikachu said:
Glademaster said:
Sikachu said:
Glademaster said:
I get what you mean now (I think) but I don't think it's ambiguous. If one wants to use '/' as a fraction line denoting numerator and denominator, the only way to write it if there are any operations to be done is by bracketing the numerator and denominator on either side.
Yes but that is the problem with the other equation is that some people may view it as one way or the other. The original problem that brings the flames of war to forums really just needs another set of brackets to fix all problems.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
JWRosser said:
BIDMAS!!!

(Or BEDMAS).

It's 2.
BODMAS

Not BIDMAS
or BEDMAS

Bracket. OF. Division. Multiplication. Addition. Subtraction

I aplogise it is just how I was taught.