Street Fighter: Legacy Dragon Punches Every Street Fighter Movie

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Street Fighter: Legacy Dragon Punches Every Street Fighter Movie

Joey Ansah's fan film Street Fighter: Legacy is short, but it makes up for every terrible Street Fighter movie released before. Yeah, it's that good.

Wow. Joey Ansah is best known for his role as an assassin in The Bourne Ultimatum [http://www.amazon.com/Bourne-Ultimatum-Widescreen-Matt-Damon/dp/B000VWYJ86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278514857&sr=1-2], but I love this guy for a completely different reason now. He's behind the three minute Street Fighter: Legacy short film, showing the world how to make a Street Fighter movie that isn't a complete piece of garbage.

And not only is it the opposite of garbage, Street Fighter: Legacy is downright awesome. It starts off acknowledging the game's lore, with Ryu having a nightmare of his fight with the enigmatic Akuma. After waking, he resumes his journey to become the strongest in the world, when Ken catches up to him. They fight, of course.

Ansah's version of Ken vs. Ryu is almost a perfect recreation of one of their in-game battles, but better. Everything from the heaving "at rest" animations to actual basic moves are performed by Legacy's actors and they really fit their parts. Plus, just when you think there won't be any special effects, Ryu busts out a Hadouken (fireball). Ken busts out a flaming Shoryuken (dragon punch). And just as I finish saying "Holy Crap!" the film ends.

So what's next for Legacy? Nothing yet. Ansah was sick of all the Street Fighter movie sadness [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97466-Street-Fighter-The-Worst-Movie-of-2009] given to the world and worked hard with a bunch of other people to make this fan project happen. But for now, that's all it is: an incredibly amazing fan film that needs to be turned into something more. Lightning has been known to strike sometimes.

Via: Collider [http://www.collider.com/2010/05/06/street-fighter-legacy-live-action-short-film-two-behind-the-scenes-featurettes-designing-the-fights-costume-design/]

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
They keep shutting down amazing fan movies, they need to do the opposite with this, give these people a couple of million bucks and let them have at it.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
That was pretty cool. I'd definitely pay money to go see this if it was actually made into a full fledged movie.

Noxshadow

u mad?
Jan 12, 2010
I love it, but they got one but wrong.
It's Ryu who has the absolutely absurd eyebrows, not Ken.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
That was actually quite good.

If they made a full movie I might consider downloading it illegally...

Harley Duke

Apr 20, 2009
Noxshadow said:
What? Have you seen the things on Ken's forehead? They're every bit as insane as Ryu's, if not more so because they don't even attempt to match his hair color.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
that was the best street fighter movie i have ever seen. These guys should get 3million pounds to do this and ign should get 2 million to do the legend of zelda

Noxshadow

u mad?
Jan 12, 2010
Harley Duke said:
Noxshadow said:
What? Have you seen the things on Ken's forehead? They're every bit as insane as Ryu's, if not more so because they don't even attempt to match his hair color.
Wait...
(Checks SSF4 manual)
Ok. I just always will remember Ryu's crazy Night Elf eyebrows, go off his head and over his headband.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
It's hard to compare a 3 minute short with a full length movie, but that was pretty good. For a fan film, the special effects were pretty good too. Still a bit campy though.

I think video game movies suck because writers and directors try to make them into more than they actually are.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Low Key said:
It's hard to compare a 3 minute short with a full length movie, but that was pretty good. For a fan film, the special effects were pretty good too. Still a bit campy though.

I think video game movies suck because writers and directors try to make them into more than they actually are.
and now i have a chill up my spine because i remembered the guy who directed the Pirates movies (which i hate) is doing the Bioshock movie... *Cries*

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I'm amazed at how awesome that just was. Simply incredible. I'd pay double to see a full length movie with that kind of work put into it.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
I'm not sure I agree with everybody above in assuming that, just because a short film is fantastic (which, don't get me wrong, this is), a feature-length one would be as good. An actual feature-length movie needs extensive plot, cinematography, lighting and pacing work, amongst other things.

The problem with Street Fighter in film has always been the bare-bones level of plot development - the game was meant to be played on an arcade machine for five minutes before you walked away in frustration to get more quarters. Making a full-length movie that would be bearable would require fleshing out an entire backstory for every character which doesn't involve "Character A beat up Character B at some point in the past, resulting in Character B wanting vengeance".

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
You should mention that this was officially sanctioned by Capcom, because I've noticed some misconception about this fact, and it's easier to just answet this at the source so everyone else knows.

Anyway, more on topic, that was awesome. I think the only thing I have a problem with is that Ken blocked a Hadoken with his sholder. Yeah, that's how it happens in game, but, yes, sometimes very minore things can change. It would have been okay for him to have blocked that with his hand or something.

It's a very minor gripe.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
I definitely give full credit for the time, skill and resources required to make any short film, much less an exceptional one as with Mr. Ansah's work. Ignoring that however, it's not hard to be better than a piece of crap, even the promotional material for SF4 was leagues above any of the major SF movies (Ah Mr Raul Julia, how I grieve for you).

I did like the cheesy bits here and there (what was up with the nature cutaways though), and it really did look like Street Fighter, plus huge kudos to the two actors, they did really well with the stage fighting.The post team did very well indeed, although as someone else pointed out the haduken does look out of place (maybe giving the haduken more of a light bleed onto the fighters and the environment would have helped, plus being less defined) but the shoryuken was spot on aside from the 360. Very cool indeed and the subtle black ink blotch "swipes" ala SF4 added a really nice touch.

Btw, did anyone else feel like they were watching a ripped Owen Wilson and John Cho trade blows?

blarg363

Nov 19, 2009
This really ticks me off 'cus i know that this will never have a chance to be made into the epic street fighter flik we all want

i mean, i just shed a tear as i watched this it is by far the best street fighter fight seen EVER.