Kirby Puffs Up for a Return on the Wii

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kirby Puffs Up for a Return on the Wii

Nintendo's cutest little rotund creature that isn't Jigglypuff apparently still has a game in development for the Nintendo Wii.

Through a list of upcoming titles contained within Nintendo's recent financial results briefing [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100507e.pdf], it looks as if Nintendo is still bringing Kirby to the Wii. If you scroll all the way down past the boring stuff, a title called Hoshi no Kirby is listed, which is the name for the Kirby games in Japan.

The name is temporary and the game's release date is TBA. Hoshi no Kirby, as you should be able to tell by the title, is only listed for release in Japan as of right now. Seeing that it was revealed in a financial results briefing, no details were provided.

Kirby is Nintendo's pink platforming puffball with ruby slippers that can inhale enemies to gain their powers. He made his first appearance in Kirby's Dream Land [http://www.amazon.com/Kirbys-Dream-Land-Game-Boy/dp/B000035XB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278513395&sr=1-1] for the original Game Boy, following it up with later titles on the NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Gamecube, and the DS. Kirby is also a character in the Smash Bros. series, and has starred in his own golf game. As the ball.

Gameplay of the new Kirby would presumably follow a similar vein as that of earlier games, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here, so this Hoshi no Kirby could take almost any form. It's notable that the game is being developed for the Wii, hinting that it might be more than a platformer this time, if it ever materializes. The Kirby series has had plenty of off-shoots, but plenty of regular platformer entries as well, so it could go either way.

(Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245614])

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
And I thought Nintendo had already re-packaged every game they've made before to the Wii. What are the bets that you need to shake the Wiimote to fly.

GnomeThief

Apr 9, 2009
Finally they're making a stand alone Kirby game for the Wii. I was starting to worry Nintendo had abandoned the little guy.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I thought the NES title was the first, and then the gameboy title followed it shortly behind?

Sorry, more of a fact checking my own memory than a specific response to the story.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
If I had to pick a favorite gaming franchise it would be Kirby. Those games have provided me with endless hours of entertainment, all the way from his first one (which I still have by the way) to the countless remakes of his older games.

Why I enjoy them so much has always eluded me; all I know is that I can't get enough of him and always bring him on long trips to keep me occupied.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Rodyle2 said:
FUCK YEAH, THE ONE SERIES WITH NO BAD ENTRIES.
Kirby Air Ride

I used to love Kirby when I was a kid, but I got older and the games didn't get any harder. I'm hoping this game puts up a challenge.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
I hope they just embrace the full blown spectacle fighter nature and all, but they really need to make these games much, much harder.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Hasn't there allegedly been a Kirby Wii game in development for ages now? If I remember correctly, some kind of Kirby title has always been listed on Nintendo's initial upcoming releases in Japan for as long as the Wii has existed.

Hope it's true, though. Kirby Super Star Ultra was awesome.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
blalien said:
Rodyle2 said:
Kirby Air Ride

I used to love Kirby when I was a kid, but I got older and the games didn't get any harder. I'm hoping this game puts up a challenge.
Air ride was awesome. The games didn't get harder because Kirby was designed to be for beginners.
Also: No bad Metroid games.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Kirby is one of those games that I heard a lot about, but never played aas I never had the right system to play it. *fingers crossed* for it to be as awesome as Super Mario Galaxy.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Souplex said:
blalien said:
Rodyle2 said:
Kirby Air Ride

Air ride was awesome. The games didn't get harder because Kirby was designed to be for beginners.
I LOVED Air Ride.

Though I do think that the Zelda series (CD-I outings excepted) hasn't had any bad games either.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Timbydude said:
Souplex said:
blalien said:
Rodyle2 said:
Kirby Air Ride

I LOVED Air Ride.

Though I do think that the Zelda series (CD-I outings excepted) hasn't had any bad games either.
Zelda: Four Swords Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training
Metroid: Metroid Prime Hunters. I'm sorry but that game was unplayable. I didn't like Metroid Prime Pinball either but my ex loved it, so yeah.

If you want to stick just to core adventure games, then Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, and Mario all have perfect records.

Jul 9, 2008
Timbydude said:
Souplex said:
blalien said:
Rodyle2 said:
Kirby Air Ride

I LOVED Air Ride.

I was going to say the same. And dude, you don't need to say "except the CD-I games", that's just understood. I don't think many people count them.

EDIT: Oh yeah, OT: I've only played 2 Kirby games (Nightmare in Dreamland and 64), but I loved them both.