Question of the Day, May 19, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, May 19, 2010

A report by Newzoo states that nearly one-third of all gamers never pay to play their games, relying on free versions and demos to supply their habit. Do you consider these people "true" gamers, and if not, what should they be called?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
As in pirating or playing free games? Because you're not a real gamer if you're a pirate. But there are tons of free games, mostly made by Nexon, that are big enough to be considered real games and are by far not casual.

RobThePrezodent

Oct 2, 2009
i wouldn't call them "gamers" i don't think, but I struggle to think of a better term. semi-gamers? idk. I think you have to atleast have bought a game at some point, I think that's kinda the default for being classed as a gamer.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
F2P MMOs are games, Which I assume the poll is talking about.
as opposed to pirates, which I feel this thread is aimed at.

All pirates will have bought one game at one time or another.
And even if they haven't, they may be scum, but they are still gamers.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Konrad Curze said:
Yes. Because to put it simply. Games started with shit like pong and tetris. Stuff that nowadays "gamers" would say do not make you a "real" gamer. Yet as someone who started their gaming life with these things I can happily say "fk you" to anyone who claims you have to play X shooter for X hours a day to claim the title gamer.
You play a game, no matter what it is or if its free and you can call yourself a gamer. End of story.
"a person who plays games; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games"

Apparently you need to regularly play games. I will say that if you played the demo for Guitar Hero at a Wal-Mart once then you're not a real gamer, but if you're a regular, and this even includes "games" like FarmVille, then you're a gamer. Casual or not.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Free To Play MMOs are perfectly fine as a game. In fact, some of them are pretty good!

Calumon: The Digimon one is pretty cool!

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
What's with all the tr00 kvlt "real gamer" business lately? Aren't we fringe enough without further dividing ourselves? If you don't think games rot the brain and turn kids into spree killers, you're a real enough gamer for me.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
If it's just demos then no, but if it is a proper full length game I don't see why not.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I'd like to say that if you game, your a gamer and thats the end of it. But I can't help but feel that if you don't ever pay for anything your not really contributing to the many people who get paid little to slave over a game for years. I'm not sure where I've developed this idea from, I can watch football on tv but have never bought a ticket yet I can consider myself a fan, yet with gaming it's different. Maybe it's because socially most of us have spent our lives thinking of it as an exclusive group because those outside it mock us and that makes our commitment to gaming stronger.

The more I think about it, the more I think Gamers and Sport fans are alike, in our devotion to a group, our rage at decisions (DRM, Dedicated servers, Battle Rifle change to list only a few) and how much time we can spend discussion it. The fact is, you only have to participate in sport to enjoy it and be a fan you don't have to have all the club shirts. So i'd say that yes they are gamers, but we are the devoted ones that make it what it is.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Free To Play MMOs are perfectly fine as a game. In fact, some of them are pretty good!

Calumon: The Digimon one is pretty cool!
There's a digimon f2p mmo?

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I think if gaming is your primary hobby, then you're a gamer. It doesn't matter what games it is, or how you aquire them. If you game, you're a gamer.

Yarr Harr and a bottle of rum.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
It depends on the game, the bollocks that Scamga make aren't games and yet some people insist that they are a gamer because they are foolish enough to use them. But if someone played games online, free browser based ones like the cheap knock-offs of tetris/breakout etc. then I suppose they could be considered a gamer. But I think it's more about how much you play as well as what you play, someone who plays solitaire on their PC to avoid work probably wouldn't be a gamer but then again someone who plays on a wii fit every now and then isn't going to be much of a gamer either.

dough

Dec 17, 2008
Being free does not stop a game from being a game.

Now that different payment models are in place, free games are a common thing and it doesn't make sense to distinguish on that fact. Well, except for the fact that some of the free games I've played to date have in-game advertising. I find it amusing right now, but I expect that it will soon become a serious annoyance.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I say no. If you are a "real" gamer, then you should support the developers that actually make the games. Most free-to-play games are only free-to-play for so long, then they expand to microtransactions. If you really are passionate about gaming, then you should be supporting the people that actually make the games.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
In order to be a gamer you must game...(DnD!!!)
In all seriousness, people must by games in order to be gamers so people that play ONLY facebook games cant be considered gamers. We dont want "scum" (sarcasm) getting in our nerd circles now do we?