Pachter: Microsoft Wants to Own the Internet

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pachter: Microsoft Wants to Own the Internet

Microsoft needs to get paid if it's going to allow Xbox 360 users to access the internet.

In his weekly video feature on Nintendo DSi [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-117-pach-attack/100358] touting one as a prominent feature. It's primarily because Microsoft's goal is to own the internet.

Pachter says that the Xbox 360 [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-120GB-Elite-Spring-Bundle/dp/B002I0J8ZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276638386&sr=1-2] will "never" include a browser "because Microsoft's vision when they made the original Xbox was to own the internet." The basic idea is that Microsoft doesn't want you going outside of their box unless it "controls your access."

Microsoft allows users to visit Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix, because they "aren't actually going to those sites," says Pachter. "You are going to a Microsoft-controlled site where they know exactly what you are touching."

This level of control held by Microsoft comes down to the company being "all about making money." Eventually everything users do through the Xbox that involves the internet and payment will additionally enrich Microsoft, including purchases on Amazon.com and such. "Microsoft is going to end up charging you for everything you do, but they won't charge you; they'll charge the person you're paying," predicts Pachter.

On a similar topic, Pachter said there is "no chance in hell" of games becoming download only anytime in the near future as long as consoles don't require 100% of users to connect to the internet. He guesses that the Xbox 360 has about "two-thirds" of users connected, with the PlayStation 3 at around 85%, and the Nintendo Wii at 50% or lower. Until those percentages are higher, brick-and-mortar videogame stores will continue to exist and remain a necessity. Half of all household don't have wireless internet after all, and it's a pain to get that console right next to a router to run a wire most of the time.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-117-pach-attack/100358]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Another case of "industry analysts" saying what gamers have known for a long, long time.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I really dont like this Pachter guy?

He seems to get a lot of air time here and never really has anything to new to say.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
AC10 said:
Another case of "industry analysts" saying what gamers have known for a long, long time.
Quite. It's like reading about shifts in Internet culture in a newspaper months after they become old hat.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
Microsoft is all about making money?! Breaking news, everybody! Tell your friends!

Seriously. I don't understand why people go "OMFTASDFJIOASF M$$$$$" because they want to make money. That's the goal of the game here. Every company wants, needs, and seeks to earn money. Thinking otherwise is completely bass-ackwards.

Fiend13

Apr 15, 2010
Doesnt matter what Microsoft wants cause as we all know will the world be owned by google in a not too distant future.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Oh this guy can go fuck his himself really. If you dont like paying for XBL then buy a ps3. Thats what I did

The title is ridiculous and I dont even know why ramblings are news worthy these days, Hurr durr mcrosoft wants to own the internets. Yeah like anyone wouldnt. Now go back to your basement and stop pretending like youre making breaking news

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
although Microsoft wants to own the internet (which is just plain retarted.. something worse is happening in america.
i heard about a bigger problem of president Obama wanting to control the internet.

Maybe that's only in America, and if so, I'm not to thrilled about the thought police coming into my house and repossessing my freedom of the internet.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A business plan built with a genuine monopoly in mind: Control your customers. Leech their finances. And browbeat others into your system, or out of the market.

Welcome to Microsoft

....in 1995

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Wow, way to be an impartial journalist. Seriously, you've got to be pretty deluded about the world if you don't realise that companies are out to increase wealth and appease shareholders. Hell, there's a reason why non-profit organisations are designated that instead of there being the distinction of for-profit companies because for-profit is the standard.

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
The walled garden version of the net had its day long ago Microsoft, something you helped put an end to in the first place if my memory serves me correctly. If walled gardens were still relevant then the world would still be "happily" using AOL, Compuserve and the like.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Ildecia said:
although Microsoft wants to own the internet (which is just plain retarted.. something worse is happening in america.
i heard about a bigger problem of president Obama wanting to control the internet.

Maybe that's only in America, and if so, I'm not to thrilled about the thought police coming into my house and repossessing my freedom of the internet.
My god man, fact check sometime.

OT: Really? The massive company wants money? Didn't see that one coming. Oh industry analysts, is there anything you can't tell us that we already knew?

Fiend13

Apr 15, 2010
I recently heard in a TED talk that the internet is the first medium created by humans that humans cant control. So no worrys as far as im concerned. (Cause TED talks never failed me till now :p)

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Fiend13 said:
Doesnt matter what Microsoft wants cause as we all know will the world be owned by google in a not too distant future.
Google controls almost all the knowledge in the world. Knowledge is power. Google has already won, we just don't know it.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
Every one wants to own the internet right?
Incidentally, I can't stand Pachter.
He gets to talk more than the other guests in the Bonus Round and his opinions rarely interest me. I think he's just there for Geoff Keighley's amusement. Shane Satterfield is more interesting than Pachter IMO.

brandon237 said:
Google controls almost all the knowledge in the world. Knowledge is power. Google has already won, we just don't know it.
So if we (the people) don't know it yet, but you do...
That must mean that you're from Google!
Crikey, this is going to be like Skynet all over again!