4chan Powers Kim Jong Un in Time's "Person of the Year" Poll

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Lizardon said:
Wait a minute...

How did the Curiosity rover get into a Person Of The Year Poll?
Didn't you know it gained sentiance 3 days ago? some think the Martians reprogrammed it to hide their invasion force.
Either way, I for one welcome our new robotic overloards!

clicketycrack

Apr 6, 2009
Ed130 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
FUN FACT! They actually manipulated it to read (going downwards, first letters only): KJUGasChambers.

Which was meant to stand for: Kim Jong Un Gas Chambers.
So while done mainly for the LOL's, there is a hidden meaning that insults Kim-Jong.

And that people is why this 4chan operation gets my approval.

(Time should have a little side-note to point this out)
The reasoning behind your approval would enrage any member of 4chan.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Bad Jim said:
Well it's not as bad as making Adolf Hitler the real Man Of The Year in 1938. And giving it to Stalin twice.

Or worse, giving it to George W Bush.
Yes, you're very clever, joking that Bush is worse than Hitler and Stalin. In 2012. May you be forever lauded as a comedic genius years ahead of your time.

Ahem. Anyway, this is probably a good opportunity to point out that Time's Person of the Year [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year] status isn't meant to be an Award For Being An Awesome Person. It basically means "This person had more of an affect on current events than anyone else this year." They've had to clarify this a number of times, in fact, for the benefit of people stupid enough to believe that a major American publication would openly support people like Joseph Stalin or Hugo Chávez.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
well that is def. a surprise, yeah not much to add to the discussion value...............

yeah... his hair is a lie

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Rocklobster99 said:
I hope they don't throw this out.

I'm still mad that I can't drink "Hitler did nothing wrong" flavored Mountain Dew.
Me too, my friend... me too.

OT: This is definitely one of the funnier things that 4chan has done recently. I also like how TIME is being a good sport about it.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
Anoni Mus said:
Nantucket said:
One day the North Koreans will realise the world is laughing at them and blow us all up.
That's one country nobody seems to mess with because they're that unstable. A bit like a toddler holding a gun in a locked room with a few people. They'll either shoot themselves by mistake or somebody else.
That's propaganda.
The West loves to say to someone they don't like that they are crazy, insane or monsters, all ways to dehumanize them, they did it with Stalin, they did it with Sadam, Kadaffi and with N.Korean leaders.

And what annoys me it's that it works, a lot of people out there really think the guy is crazy, and his father was too, and that they could put everyone's lives in danger by owning Atomic bombs.
But it isn't just propaganda when you look at how the citizens of North Korea are treated, and how far behind they are in every aspect of living... The US isn't just going "bad man", there are horror stories constantly coming out of that country.

Aug 1, 2010
Ed130 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
FUN FACT! They actually manipulated it to read (going downwards, first letters only): KJUGasChambers.

So while done mainly for the LOL's, there is a hidden meaning that insults Kim-Jong.

If that is how the meaning came across, it was COMPLETELY unintended.

The point of that spelling was to pay homage to the Glorious Leader's power.

OT:
[spoiler/][image/]http://i.qkme.me/3omzen.jpg[/IMG][/spoiler]

Twas fun.

Also, click "No Way" twice and read the first letters again.

These people should really learn to stop making their polls open to the internet.

Vardermir

Jan 18, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
Nantucket said:
One day the North Koreans will realise the world is laughing at them and blow us all up.
That's one country nobody seems to mess with because they're that unstable. A bit like a toddler holding a gun in a locked room with a few people. They'll either shoot themselves by mistake or somebody else.
That's propaganda.
The West loves to say to someone they don't like that they are crazy, insane or monsters, all ways to dehumanize them, they did it with Stalin, they did it with Sadam, Kadaffi and with N.Korean leaders.

And what annoys me it's that it works, a lot of people out there really think the guy is crazy, and his father was too, and that they could put everyone's lives in danger by owning Atomic bombs.
Perhaps the reason everyone thinks Kim Jong Il was crazy is because, well, he was crazy. He has his own top 10 list and everything.

1. He kidnapped Shin Sang-ok in order to have him make a North Korean version of Godzilla. (Move bob even made a couple episodes about them i think)
2. He was, for a time, the purchaser of the largest amount of Hennessey whiskey.
3. He claimed he invented golf, and scored 11 holes in one in one game
4. He composed 6 operas in over two years, and had them performed
5. His birth was apparently marked by a double rainbow, and a bright star in teh sky.
6. He has a song with lyrics that claim, "We cannot exist without you, Comrade Kim Jong Il!"
7. He claimed to have invented hamburgers
8. He had constructed a fake town near the South Korean Border in order to show the people of that obviously inferior country how wonderful life would be if only they defected.
9. He at one point hoped to solve North Korea's famine via breeding giant rabbits.
10. He does not defecate.

But don't believe that list is all that there is to the worlds greatest leader, look up some trivia for yourself!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Ed130 said:
AnarchistAbe said:

OT:

Twas fun.

These people should really learn to stop making their polls open to the internet.
It was unintentional? That makes it even funnier!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I think people misunderstand when it comes to most important person and Time Magazine. It's an opinion based poll that is not a popularity contest. The most important person is the person that people feel have had the greatest impact on society. That is why people like Hitler and Stalin win these things. It's the person with the greatest impact on society. This person is not usually good, but they can be. Now on to the biggest question: Why did they do this? Just to do it? That seems stupid.

Jun 16, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
I'm talking about dehumanization from the West, not saying N.K is a good place to live. It certainly is place where the conditions aren't very good, but they are not crazy or monsters. If they were they wouldn't teach everyone how to read, build schools and colleges and provide free healthcare.
If you want to apply that sort of twisted logic, then Hitler was actually a hero because he made the most economically sound decision possible to secure Germany's financial stability: rounding up all the Jews and seizing their assets. In doing so, he managed to bring his country out of one of the greatest economic depressions in modern history and actually made it a superpower for a time. Sure, he had millions of innocent people killed and precipitated the worst war of all time, but the ends justify the means right?

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Baresark said:
I think people misunderstand when it comes to most important person and Time Magazine. It's an opinion based poll that is not a popularity contest. The most important person is the person that people feel have had the greatest impact on society. That is why people like Hitler and Stalin win these things. It's the person with the greatest impact on society. This person is not usually good, but they can be. Now on to the biggest question: Why did they do this? Just to do it? That seems stupid.
Thats what I was thinking, Kim Jong Un was likely to win the main editor choice anyway. 4chan thinks they are accomplishing something funny when they really aren't. Maybe they can be funny next time.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
Anoni Mus said:
vasiD said:
Anoni Mus said:
Nantucket said:
That's propaganda.

But it isn't just propaganda when you look at how the citizens of North Korea are treated, and how far behind they are in every aspect of living... The US isn't just going "bad man", there are horror stories constantly coming out of that country.
I'm talking about dehumanization from the West, not saying N.K is a good place to live. It certainly is place where the conditions aren't very good, but they are not crazy or monsters. If they were they wouldn't teach everyone how to read, build schools and colleges and provide free healthcare.
Sort of, I mean they have work camps that are about on nazi levels, and the crimes that will get you there are mostly free speech related (or trying to leave the country, for which they will kill your entire family).

Mind you, not saying North Koreans are monsters or insane, just saying their government is an insane dictatorship.

Aug 1, 2010
Ed130 said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Ed130 said:
AnarchistAbe said:

OT:

Twas fun.

It was unintentional? That makes it even funnier!
In some ways, yes. It's funny that people mistook it as activism.

Honestly, I was hoping for Kumabear, but the trips that got KJUGasChambers were pretty decisive.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
So, if 4chan never intervened with the polls, would that have meant Jon Stewart would have been the Person of the Year? What exactly did he do to earn that, besides calling out Fox News on it's bullshit frequently?

Actually, I'd say that's more than enough to earn the title. Go Stewart!