5 animes you find enjoyable.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Anime is I think by definition a cartoon based on a manga. Miyazaki's work isn't based on Manga (except Nausicaa where he created a manga to get his film made). So in that way his work is just more of an animated movie. In fact I think I've heard that he specifically wants to disassociate himself with "anime" because he had some unpleasant things to say about it. (ie that it was bland, unoriginal, copy one another, etcetera)

A lot of anime just copy one another (Eureka 7 seems like a huge ripoff of Evangelion), and other anime should have never left manga form (Death Note) and God knows why it's popular, death note's just a frakking audio book. But hey if viewers like watching little boys fiddle with chess pieces and twirl their hair for 22 minutes all the power to them.
No, you're mistaken there, although it is a common mistake.

Japanese animation does not need to be based on a manga to be anime. In fact, in Japan all animation is referred to as anime, regardless of it being based on something or even if it originates from Japan at all. Outside of Japan, particularly in the West, the term anime has been generally accepted to describe animation produced explicitly in Japan. Sometimes the term is also used for the typical visual style in anime. That's why cartoons like Avater: The Last Airbender and Teen Titans are sometimes called 'anime-influenced', but since they're from the US, they're not 'real' anime.

Off course, with the advent of anime influences in western animation the line starts to blur a little, especially in cases where there are collaborations with Japanese anime creators. Or when the production process is partially or wholly outsourced to Japan. You could call The Animatrix an example of this.

There is some truth to what Miyazaki says about anime. A lot of shows are unoriginal, repetetive and shameless crowdpleasers, filled with pointless fanservice to the point where entire shows are dedicated to it (Ikkitousen, Queen's Blade, ...).

But sometimes fanservice can also make a show fun. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is IMO so enjoyable because it takes a tongue-in-cheek approach to fanservice, creating an over-the-top parody of old super robot shows. Similarly, FMP Fumoffu would be like any other high school comedy if it weren't for one addition: throw in a teenaged elite commando with no common sense or knowledge of civilian life and you get hilarious situations.

OutaTime21

Dec 5, 2008
I find these enjoyable
1.DragonBall Z
2.Hellsing Ultimate
3.Full Metal alchemist
4.Sailor Moon
5.Rosario+ Vampire

Zeroghee

Jun 25, 2009
1)Evangelion
2)Berserk
3)Read or Die(TV and Ova)
4)RaXephon
5)Bleach

Honorable Mentions: Bleach and Samurai X(Yes the Kenshin OVA's)

I base it on which anime I can sit and watch the whole series again and again

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
1. code geass
2. hellsing-only read but will have to watch at some point
3. deathnote-you've got to watch this through from the begining or its half as good

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FLCL
Full metal panic FumoFu (or something)
godannar
anything by myuzaki
paranoia agent

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Code Geass, Dragon Ball series, The Gundams, Pokemon, and Digimon. I have a feeling someone is gonna rag on me for the last two but f you I watch them as a kind and I was happy as a kid so they let me remember being happy.

kewlrabbit

Aug 6, 2008
Top 5, no real order:
-Midori Days
-Basilisk
-Neon Genesis Evangelion (not nostalgia, either, I watched it for the first time a few months ago. It's genuinely a good anime.)
-School Rumble (Though so far I've only seen the first season.)
-NieA_7

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Trigun
Gungrave
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Hellsing

There are others as well, but you said "five".

GirlGamer

Jun 27, 2008
Hmm... Just anime? Can it be the manga too? I might not be able to do 5, but here goes:
1. Naruto
2. Ouran High School Host Club
3. Shaman King
4. Wallflower (aka Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge or Perfect Girl Evolution)
5. Gakuen Alice
Hey look I did it! *applause* These are my five favourites.