5 Ways J.J. Abrams Could Ruin Star Wars

Phil Owen

Aug 11, 2014

We don't know if Abrams will do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek, but there are a lot of ways he could misstep with this fan-favorite. These are some of them.

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Retconning in an Illuminati style master plan sounds unfortunately plausible.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I own the literary copy of Dreamcatcher and have read it. I have also seen the movie (and consider it a fucking abortion, if you're conducting a poll). So, while I understand what the shit-weasels are, I don't get what all that about redeeming them and how we'll love them all is supposed to mean. Anyone mind sharing the story on that?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
5 ways J.J. Abrams can ruin Star Wars? Oh, that's easy!

1. By directing it
2. By helping someone direct it
3. By doing any other major role, like writing or producing it
4. By starring in it
5. By being present in the same building where someone else is making it

There, question answered! :)

Traviltar

Aug 21, 2013
Phil Owen said:

We don't know if Abrams will do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek, but there are a lot of ways he could misstep with this fan-favorite. These are some of them.

Read Full Article
Every point you have made I have made in the past year or so about Episode VII being not only a bad movie, but a bad Star Wars! (But then again great minds think alike.. :D)
As a huge fanboy all I care about he gets the lore right because almost anything can be done in the Star Wars universe... A story about a scientist being hunted for his work, a man on the quest to save his family only to find out about betrayal of loved ones, space cowboys, military.. but I guess those things fit better with spin-offs than the actual movie.
I just want them to get the world(s) of SW right and maybe a reference to KOTOR every now and then.

But fuck the whole Illuminati idea. Just no.. No...

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
& as an honourable mention: 6. Using Lens Flare // But that is a visual aspect rather than a story one // It'll still ruin the films thou because the man doesn't know the meaning of the words 'over use'

-M

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
1. Possible, though I suspect its more likely going to be stealing from Star Wars Legacy. Sets up a conflict for the empire to be still doing stuff, has a Sith bad guy. I mean that rumour about Jedi hunter a while ago (probably mainly false) sounds a little like the opening to Legacy.

2. might work if you had it as another level of Sith controlling the galaxy and all are leaders of megacorps etc. This wouldn't be impossible considering early idea of the emperor being a puppet and Bane's rule of two being thrown away. On the other hand the idea doesn't really fit into the star wars style and would remind people too much of the separatists from the prequels.

3. Another strong possibility though I would go larger, what if fox takes the view that the hate for the prequels means we don't want to see massive alien cities and loads of world and galactic politics. Instead we get a smaller scale story across a few worlds using the recycled continued rebellion idea (would feed into the idea of using Legacy).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jandau said:
5 ways J.J. Abrams can ruin Star Wars? Oh, that's easy!

1. By directing it
2. By helping someone direct it
3. By doing any other major role, like writing or producing it
4. By starring in it
5. By being present in the same building where someone else is making it

There, question answered! :)
Or you could sum it up with "by being JJ Abrams" and save four slots.

I don't think Abrams is necessarily bad, but hooboy are there a lot of ways he could ruin Star Wars. And many of them don't involve the actual story the movie will be telling.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I read the artical and it was a good laugh. But now I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that in a year's time we will look back on this artical and think 'Damn, if only the movie was as good as these suggestions'.

Jan 12, 2012
exobook said:
2. might work if you had it as another level of Sith controlling the galaxy and all are leaders of megacorps etc. This wouldn't be impossible considering early idea of the emperor being a puppet and Bane's rule of two being thrown away. On the other hand the idea doesn't really fit into the star wars style and would remind people too much of the separatists from the prequels.
Plus, that always struck me as a cheap out on storytelling. "Oh no, the bad guy from the past 3 movies/year of comics/series of novels/etc/ is actually being controlled by this other person/ Guess you have to go and fight them!" It undercuts the entire threat that the original person posed if they were just a secret lieutenant.

OT: This felt kind of like a Chris Bucholz article from Cracked; started with a plausible premise, then gradually became more insane. I liked it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You talk about the first KOTOR, and proceed to use an image from the much better second game.

Phil Owen

Aug 11, 2014
This must have been the most difficult '5 list' ever. Regardless even if it was a 5000 list, JJ, will still find 5000 other ways to ruin SW.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I'll mostly be let down if he makes a high octane action movies stuffed with explosions and lightsaber duels. I'm hoping for something a bit more patient, something that takes its time, just like the old movies. If he delivers that, then i don't think i can be too dissapointed. I know he's capable of something like this, the first half of Super8 had a lot of potential, just too bad that Abrams has problems ending his movies, something Kasdan might be able to fix.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
the fact he's actually built life sized sets for the falcon and other ships and seems to be aiming for a more original trilogy feel for the film makes me hope he's going to avoid the usual jjisms and tell a really fun star wars story....im expecting lens flare though as a jj film without it just doesnt seem possible :)

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Phil Owen said:
Because this is a J.J. movie, we're probably not going to know anything about the plot or story before the metaphoric film (RIP) begins to metaphorically roll into theaters around the world...
Or rather we will, but he will tell us we don't and the movie will pretend we didn't, until we are ultimately shown we've actually known for months.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
5 five ways J.J Abrams could make Star Wars better

1. Kill Jar Jar Binks
2. Use practical effects instead of relying to CGI
3. Have multiple people to guide him like Lucas's first film.
4. No Lens flare
5. Don't overhype everyone like Phantom Menace.

Bonus* Make it fun again. People are more open to Wangst when they are connected to the characters. Make them fun and lovable instead of putting them into crisis mode.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Less sabre action. In the prequels they were used for everything and it made them boring. I bet they would open a can of beans with them if they couldnt fine the can opener.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
As someone who mainly enjoyed the giant space battles of the originals, just do more of that than the prequels did JJ.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
After midichlorians and Jar Jar, apart from recruiting high school students to star in it, could it really get worse?

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
1.) I don't think this could work because we got to see Vader's face just as he died in Return of the Jedi... Or are we forgetting about him taking off his mask so he could see Luke for the first time with his own eyes? Also there is the whole him appearing as a force ghost in the final scene in the original edit which also confirms that he did actually die... Oh yea and we saw quite a bit of Anakin during the prequel trilogy which again makes it hard to suddenly completely change the character into someone else.

I highly doubt this idea would come to pass in any form unless it involved bringing someone like Boba Fett back but again we saw him as a child in Attack of the Clones and he was also featured in the animated series The Clone Wars.

2.) Something tells me Disney/Lucasfilm aren't looking to retcon anything from the original trilogy. Considering how upset fans have gotten in the past over minor tweaks and edits to the original cuts going in and overhauling pretty much everything to completely change relationships, character development, conflicts, and the over all setup seems like a great way to leave pretty much everyone upset at the whole situation.

3.) Again this just seems like a really obviously bad idea that Disney wouldn't let fly. Pretty much the biggest appeal of Star Wars is use of the force, Jedi vs. Sith, light saber battles, all of that. Suddenly stripping that away because the prequel trilogy dealt with it (are we forgetting that's the whole damn setup of the original trilogy too?) sounds about as stupid as you can get. Abrams may be directing but he's working for Disney/Lucasfilm and they aren't about to let him make incredibly bad decisions like this.

4.) And once again we're looking an obviously bad idea. Midichlorians was a much hated aspect of the prequel trilogy and I doubt they would make Episode VII all about midichlorians let alone even mention them. Abrams is working for a Disney/Lucas Film and neither of those companies are about to let that sort of train wreck out of the station let alone even consider using it in the first place.

5.) This one makes zero sense... Dreamcatcher was an obviously bad film and came out over 10 years ago. I'm not sure why Phil Owen thinks Kasdan has some sort of special attention to the... shit weasels... and wants to force them onto the world but here I am repeating myself once again by stating that Disney/Lucasfilm are overseeing this and both Abrams and Kasdan work for them. I doubt shit weasels are making their way into anything Disney will be producing ever and least of all a Star Wars film that is supposed to get back to the original trilogy.

I feel like this entire list was written with the use of common sense or even a vague understanding of how movie making happens. Abrams and crew aren't the ones calling all the shots and don't have the end all be all power to decide where this movie goes from here. This isn't Abrams company doing a film he wrote and his company is backing, he was hired on to direct and everything has to get approved for production by Disney/Lucasfilm. Does Phil Owen think that someone like Kathleen Kennedy is just gonna let this movie tank because Abrams had some weird idea about the plot which makes no sense or Kasdan wants shit weasels in this?

A vast majority of this list can be immediately tossed out because of Disney/Lucasfilm's involvement and/or past experiences with fans turning on the franchise over bad decisions made with the script.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Keji Goto said:
1.) I don't think this could work because we got to see Vader's face just as he died in Return of the Jedi... Or are we forgetting about him taking off his mask so he could see Luke for the first time with his own eyes? Also there is the whole him appearing as a force ghost in the final scene in the original edit which also confirms that he did actually die... Oh yea and we saw quite a bit of Anakin during the prequel trilogy which again makes it hard to suddenly completely change the character into someone else.

I highly doubt this idea would come to pass in any form unless it involved bringing someone like Boba Fett back but again we saw him as a child in Attack of the Clones and he was also featured in the animated series The Clone Wars.

2.) Something tells me Disney/Lucasfilm aren't looking to retcon anything from the original trilogy. Considering how upset fans have gotten in the past over minor tweaks and edits to the original cuts going in and overhauling pretty much everything to completely change relationships, character development, conflicts, and the over all setup seems like a great way to leave pretty much everyone upset at the whole situation.

3.) Again this just seems like a really obviously bad idea that Disney wouldn't let fly. Pretty much the biggest appeal of Star Wars is use of the force, Jedi vs. Sith, light saber battles, all of that. Suddenly stripping that away because the prequel trilogy dealt with it (are we forgetting that's the whole damn setup of the original trilogy too?) sounds about as stupid as you can get. Abrams may be directing but he's working for Disney/Lucasfilm and they aren't about to let him make incredibly bad decisions like this.

4.) And once again we're looking an obviously bad idea. Midichlorians was a much hated aspect of the prequel trilogy and I doubt they would make Episode VII all about midichlorians let alone even mention them. Abrams is working for a Disney/Lucas Film and neither of those companies are about to let that sort of train wreck out of the station let alone even consider using it in the first place.

5.) This one makes zero sense... Dreamcatcher was an obviously bad film and came out over 10 years ago. I'm not sure why Phil Owen thinks Kasdan has some sort of special attention to the... shit weasels... and wants to force them onto the world but here I am repeating myself once again by stating that Disney/Lucasfilm are overseeing this and both Abrams and Kasdan work for them. I doubt shit weasels are making their way into anything Disney will be producing ever and least of all a Star Wars film that is supposed to get back to the original trilogy.

I feel like this entire list was written with the use of common sense or even a vague understanding of how movie making happens. Abrams and crew aren't the ones calling all the shots and don't have the end all be all power to decide where this movie goes from here. This isn't Abrams company doing a film he wrote and his company is backing, he was hired on to direct and everything has to get approved for production by Disney/Lucasfilm. Does Phil Owen think that someone like Kathleen Kennedy is just gonna let this movie tank because Abrams had some weird idea about the plot which makes no sense or Kasdan wants shit weasels in this?

A vast majority of this list can be immediately tossed out because of Disney/Lucasfilm's involvement and/or past experiences with fans turning on the franchise over bad decisions made with the script.
You said it better than me... except I'd like to add that like it or not Abrams' Star Trek reboots have been successful and critically acclaimed. And I'm part of the rottentomatoes 90% who loved Into Darkness.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Keji Goto said:
You said it better than me... except I'd like to add that like it or not Abrams' Star Trek reboots have been successful and critically acclaimed. And I'm part of the rottentomatoes 90% who loved Into Darkness.
Thank you for that.

And I wasn't a fan of the original Star Trek show or movies so I'm not in that group loved the originals. However I did enjoy both films for what they were and look forward to seeing where the third movie goes from here.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Keji Goto said:
Keji Goto said:
Thank you for that.

And I wasn't a fan of the original Star Trek show or movies so I'm not in that group loved the originals. However I did enjoy both films for what they were and look forward to seeing where the third movie goes from here.
I actually loved both the originals and the reboots but also realize they're different things and both exist in different timelines. I must be a rare person because I don't let my past loves color new things. I judge them on the merits they have as is. Of course I'm also a gamer who liked ME3, and other unpopular things... Sometimes I feel I don't fit with the majority of this site with my opinions, but that's ok with me. I like being the outsider.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Well at least if JJ ripped of KOTOR it would get a few more people into SWTOR and they could afford to actually make some content for once.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
The Emperor/Palpatine is a perfect villain, in that there's nothing left to add to or take from him that could be an improvement. If they change anything about him, then they're undercutting all the other movies.

Which sounds exactly like the sort of thing you'd do if you wanted to make the new movie relevant. Fuck me.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Keji Goto said:
Keji Goto said:
Thank you for that.

I actually loved both the originals and the reboots but also realize they're different things and both exist in different timelines. I must be a rare person because I don't let my past loves color new things. I judge them on the merits they have as is. Of course I'm also a gamer who liked ME3, and other unpopular things... Sometimes I feel I don't fit with the majority of this site with my opinions, but that's ok with me. I like being the outsider.
I'm in the same boat as you over here. Adore the Original Star Trek shows and movies (except for half the TNG movies, Enterprise... and sometimes Voyager.) And I like the reboot movies (the first more than the second) and really enjoy the Ongoing Comic based on those movies. Also being a comic fan I never complain or nitpick about differences between the comics and movies.

Also liked the ME3 ending.

Hmm... are you sure you're not me?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
Keji Goto said:
Keji Goto said:
Thank you for that.

I'm in the same boat as you over here. Adore the Original Star Trek shows and movies (except for half the TNG movies, Enterprise... and sometimes Voyager.) And I like the reboot movies (the first more than the second) and really enjoy the Ongoing Comic based on those movies. Also being a comic fan I never complain or nitpick about differences between the comics and movies.

Also liked the ME3 ending.

Hmm... are you sure you're not me?
Well, could be a quantum event that tossed one of us into this timestream... Who knows?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Well, could be a quantum event that tossed one of us into this timestream... Who knows?
Well I'll just bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish. Then I'll use my multi-spectral quantum tachyon anti-proton device and we'll see if we can get this all sorted out.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
Well I'll just bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish. Then I'll use my multi-spectral quantum tachyon anti-proton device and we'll see if we can get this all sorted out.
We could do a slingshot around the sun and pray our shields and SIF hold up under the stress.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think Mr Abrams can ruin Star Wars anymore than Lucas did in the prequels. The bar is so low that just about anything would be an improvement.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
th3dark3rsh33p said:
I don't think Mr Abrams can ruin Star Wars anymore than Lucas did in the prequels. The bar is so low that just about anything would be an improvement.
To loosely adapt a quote from the Plinkett reviews:
"Well it can't be worse than the Prequel Trilogy. Maybe we'll just look back at those as 'those really bad ones'. You try to rationalize that at least this time there wasn't going to be a little kid or anything. You had no idea that the nightmare of your existence had only just begun."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
After midichlorians and Jar Jar, apart from recruiting high school students to star in it, could it really get worse?
Pardon my presumption, but I'm less worried about Star Wars getting worse and more worried that it won't get any better.

How do I explain this concisely..

OK, remember Star Trek?
Rick Berman spent a decade mismanaging Star Trek, eventually fans got fed up and fled the franchise in droves.
Eventually it died.

Years later, during this explosion of Hollywood nostalgia-sploitation, some exec decided to reboot Star Trek for easy money, and handed the project to J.J. Abrams.

So Abrams took what he knew of Star Trek, dissected the culturally recognizable bits, and plopped them into a generic Hollywood action movie.

Star Trek 09' has Star Trek on the label and it has some flavorful bits from Star Trek in it...but it isn't Star Trek.
It's the Bacos version of Star Trek. Either way, the public loved it, so naturally it was a "successful" reboot.

But I can't help but feel that nothing has really improved for Star Trek as a result because...it isn't really Star Trek.
I don't hate the films, but I never once had this sense that I was watching Star Trek; just a bunch of references to them.

5 years later, and I find myself in an eerily familiar situation with Star Wars.

I won't beat around bush here: George Lucas obviously had no idea how to write a good script for the prequels, and ended up making three shitty, but popular action movies. While Lucas made a lot of money, hindsight has not been kind to the prequels.

And once again Abrams is up to bat to bring an old franchise back to the public eye...
Hell, even the elimination of the Expanded Universe feels kinda similar to how Abrams eliminated the original canon universe from the equation in his Trek films. Or at least that's how I take it.

So I'm apprehensive about this. Will Star Wars still be Star Wars with Abrams at the helm?

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
He will destroy it the following way:

Episode VII: Abrams will create some sort of mystery and he'll end the movie with a huge cliffhanger. We won't know anything about this mystery except that it's exciting!
Episode VIII: You'd expect at least some hints on how the mystery will resolve, do you? Nope. Even more mystery around that mystery!
Episode IX: Abrams remembers: "oh! That mystery! Right... You know what? I didn't even think about what the mystery even is about... some sort of resolution... Can't think of anything that makes sense. Here, take some overly convoluted stuff that explains nothing instead."

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Those are some truly terrible ideas. I salute you for thinking up so many of them.

Although, I do like the idea in number four. Having the Jedi turn out to be the bad guys, at least from the main character's point of view. Now the moment the Jedi do something truly evil, like kill an innocent or threaten the guy's family or something, they are no longer Jedi, but I think that story might have potential if done right.
J.J. Abrams is not an option for that though.

Mar 26, 2008
JimB said:
I own the literary copy of Dreamcatcher and have read it. I have also seen the movie (and consider it a fucking abortion, if you're conducting a poll). So, while I understand what the shit-weasels are, I don't get what all that about redeeming them and how we'll love them all is supposed to mean. Anyone mind sharing the story on that?
I really liked the book and I thought the movie up until the half-way point was incredibly accurate to it... and then it went to hell in the second half. Despite the acting being a touch wooden, at least he got actors who looked like and had the mannerisms of the characters (except for Donnie Wahlberg - wtf?).

Phil Owen

Aug 11, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
You talk about the first KOTOR, and proceed to use an image from the much better second game.
Yes but most have not played the second game, cant be assed to get it running on modern PCs (which contrary to popular belief, is extremely easy if you don't have an intel graphics card, with the first being possible even then), cant handle the heavy bugs, cant handle the extremely boring opening (felt like I was playing Final Fantasy VII all over again) or generally couldn't stand the fact it takes fucking ages to get a lightsaber and unlike KoToR 1, isn't really god damn obvious in when your going to get it, so you don't have that constant knowledge that "I'll probably get one after I save the Jedi"

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I thought the movie up until the half-way point was incredibly accurate.
In order to avoid a derail, I won't debate my intense distaste for the cinematic translation. I'd just like to understand what the talk about the shit-weasels being redeemed means.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I heard a rumor there will be Jedi Hunters who are highly trained by the Sith and not force sensitive, which sounds like Sith Assassins from KOTOR2 to me. There are a lot of Jedi Hunters across the board in Star Wars, but part of the rumors is these Jedi Hunters are left overs from Order 66. It just sounds very much like the Sith Assassins of KOTOR2 who were trained up by Revan and still hunting Jedi down so many years after the wars were over. Under new Sith leadership of course, but if Atton Rand's dark side mindset is any indication, these people are addicted to torturing and killing Jedi, with or without Sith leadership.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I love that we're speculating on things J.J. Abrams can do to ruin Star Wars as if George Lucas and LucasFilm haven't already done all of them. Repeatedly. For decades.

Anyway, I'll be blunt:
As far as I'm concerned, Episode IV and Episode V are the only good and great Star Wars films, respectively. The rest can fuck right off.

So for me, it can only go up from here. Or, at worst, stay the same.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Three, or something close to it, looks like a good idea to me. There's a lot of room for a lot of stories in the Star Wars universe. Would it be so terrible if some of them didn't involve lightsaber fights and pseudo-spiritual declamations every few minutes? The original trilogy was at least sparing with them, but the prequels went way overboard.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
VoidWanderer said:
Pardon my presumption, but I'm less worried about Star Wars getting worse and more worried that it won't get any better.

How do I explain this concisely..

OK, remember Star Trek?
Rick Berman spent a decade mismanaging Star Trek, eventually fans got fed up and fled the franchise in droves.
Eventually it died.

Years later, during this explosion of Hollywood nostalgia-sploitation, some exec decided to reboot Star Trek for easy money, and handed the project to J.J. Abrams.

So Abrams took what he knew of Star Trek, dissected the culturally recognizable bits, and plopped them into a generic Hollywood action movie.

Star Trek 09' has Star Trek on the label and it has some flavorful bits from Star Trek in it...but it isn't Star Trek.
It's the Bacos version of Star Trek. Either way, the public loved it, so naturally it was a "successful" reboot.

But I can't help but feel that nothing has really improved for Star Trek as a result because...it isn't really Star Trek.
I don't hate the films, but I never once had this sense that I was watching Star Trek; just a bunch of references to them.

5 years later, and I find myself in an eerily familiar situation with Star Wars.

I won't beat around bush here: George Lucas obviously had no idea how to write a good script for the prequels, and ended up making three shitty, but popular action movies. While Lucas made a lot of money, hindsight has not been kind to the prequels.

And once again Abrams is up to bat to bring an old franchise back to the public eye...
Hell, even the elimination of the Expanded Universe feels kinda similar to how Abrams eliminated the original canon universe from the equation in his Trek films. Or at least that's how I take it.

So I'm apprehensive about this. Will Star Wars still be Star Wars with Abrams at the helm?
Personally, I enjoyed the retellings of Star Trek. It isn't like Abrams negated the original series, he just left it alone and made a variation on it, which doesn't affect the original.

I am not too worried about Episode 7, but I am also not super enthusiastic about it at this point.

Kontarek

Nov 25, 2020
Country
USA
Why does everyone blame Abrams for Into Darkness? I thought it was fairly obvious that all of its problems were wrapped up in the terrible script, which was written by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon fucking Lindelof (aka the guy who ruined Prometheus). The direction was fine but it wasn't enough to save the film from it's alarmingly shitty script, which Abrams had little to do with.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Personally, I enjoyed the retellings of Star Trek. It isn't like Abrams negated the original series, he just left it alone and made a variation on it, which doesn't affect the original.
Well...by doing it the way he did, he didn't deliberately negate the original series, but he kinda did for all practical purposes.

Future Trek installments (if any) will be focused on the new universe and not the original because that's where the money and the audience is proven to be. While I don't hate Abrams films (they're fun), I cannot for the life of me call them real Star Trek films because it doesn't feel like Trek at all.

Neither of Abrams Trek films have the tone, or the intention, the style of writing or even the stupid quirks (they went out of their way to avoid technobabble, which I appreciate, but it kinda was associated with Trek all the same like a retarded cousin).

Of course, that just might be a sign of the times. There aren't really any sci-fi shows out there right now.
Lots of supernatural stuff, cop shows, and reality-show garbage but not really sci-fi. (nothing springs immediately to my mind anyway)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Consider all of the horrible Star Wars content that has been released since the original movie. None of this has ever managed to ruin the property. The fact that Episode 7 is being made despite Ep 1, 2, and 3 is proof of this.

EP 7 could focus entirely on Jar Jar along with his brand new even more annoying friends and it would make hundreds of millions in ticket sales. People will go see this movie if only to complain about how it's the new worst thing ever. They'll then do the same thing for Ep 8 and Ep 9.

Je-Tze

Aug 26, 2009
Dude?!! Really? There's nothing J.J. Abrams could do that could ruin STAR WARS worse than Lucas himself has done over the the last three movies. Not to mention nearly the entire collection of awful expanded universe novels.

That said, I would dearly love to see a GOOD writer/director get a hold of the franchise, and maybe make something decent out of it. While Abrams can't really "ruin" it, he's certainly not going to be GOOD for it. Oh well. I wrote Star Wars off a long time ago. If it ever reincarnates into something good it will be nice; otherwise I have long since ceased to have a reason to care.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
JimB said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I thought the movie up until the half-way point was incredibly accurate.
In order to avoid a derail, I won't debate my intense distaste for the cinematic translation. I'd just like to understand what the talk about the shit-weasels being redeemed means.
I believe Phil is being sarcastic. "No, no, you don't understand! The shit weasels will really appeal to our target demographic, we just need to find a proper context for it!"

The joke being that there is no "target demographic" for shit weasels, no matter how "proper" the context is. It's a bad idea, and a sure way for J.J to screw up this movie is to include them.

Krai

Jul 30, 2013
Star Wars is a tough series to kill. The prequels were awful movies and the series was not weakened by it. People saw what train wrecks the first two were and still went to the third installment of the prequels, being bad will not kill Star Wars. My theory is that the one thing capable of killing Star Wars is being boring. The prequels at least gave people something to talk about, as far as hatred goes the Star Wars prequels are one of the more fun things to hate. If the reaction to 7 is "It was OK but there there's nothing worth remembering" then Star Wars as a franchise will probably be hurt.

Creating this kind of reaction seems to be the specialty of Abrams. I do not remember what really happened in new Star Trek I remember not hating it, but it effected me very little, where by comparison I remember scenes and plot points from older Star Trek movies that were awful movies. Star Trek is a series I care about, Abrams made movies that I did not care about (until I realized the apathy he had inspired and was made angry by that.)

Looking forward I care about Star Wars but I worry that Abrams will make another movie I wont care about. There wont be anything to passionately love or to vitriolically hate. I think in order to matter Star Wars needs one of the two.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
USA
I could picture the midichlorians scenario actually working out in the movie's favor if done right.

I'm imagining a movie where some political entity is having some sort of eugenics war (like the Nazis searching for the master race! Not like the empire wasn't space Nazis already), and finding and haphazardly training Jedi to be war machines could set a suitable scenario for the movie to take place in. Bring in cloning of the kids/young adults that have the highest midichlorian counts, and you could have an army of Jedi for the protagonists to contend with. It would take a lot of effort to not suck, but I think it could be done, and still end up better than the prequels.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Mangod said:
I believe Phil is being sarcastic.
Huh, okay. I got the feeling there was, like, some history of Kasdan defending the bad movie, or something. Thanks for the answer.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I have said this all along but he should definitely rip off KOTOR for Episode VII!

I'm not talking about the twist with Revan, although I'm scared to think about how appealing it must be to Abrams; I'm talking about the looooove.

Jedis aren't supposed to get married and Luke Skywalker never got the girl even though he was the main dude. It also really fucked it up for his father when he got involved with a girl.

But Revan only became the legendary Jedi knight that he was thanks to his wife, Bastila Shan. I believe their love is what helped them triumph over Malack. I think it would be very interesting to see a star wars movie that addresses the role of true love with respect to the light side of the Force.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
He could make the entire cast inhale helium before shooting!

He could forget which end is the front-end on the cameras!

He could get the characters to switch accents randomly at 20 minute intervals.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
How about if he tries to make The Star Trek and Star Wars universe combine into some odd crossover event hoping to cash in on the Marvel Movie Money Train?

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I wouldn't actually mind if he toned down all force-related subjects. I think that would be the right way to go if you wanted to capture a more classic Star Wars feel, as the Force is supposed to be this largely unknown phenomena that's either whispered with superstition or dismissed as just another myth or vague legend. By playing it down it has the potential to be more intriguing when it actually does manifest in some way, by its own accord or through people.

It simply comes down to this: Don't overplay the magic, otherwise it just becomes another thing in the world. Like the lightsaber becoming far less appealing simply because hundreds of them were shown every other scene.

But of course, this isn't the original trilogy. It's a new age and much has changed since Endor. As long as there's no uncanny tonal shift there shouldn't be much cause for concern, not that we know what the director is planning.

He seems to know how to make a movie at least. Maybe not a Star Trek movie. But a fun, exciting movie experience. That fact alone is leagues better than what came before.

TheSanityAssassin

Jul 24, 2008
Poor guy, must be hard making a movie that you know people will hate because it's not the original and hating it is somehow a cool thing to do.

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Random Argument Man said:
5 five ways J.J Abrams could make Star Wars better

1. Kill Jar Jar Binks
2. Use practical effects instead of relying to CGI
3. Have multiple people to guide him like Lucas's first film.
4. No Lens flare
5. Don't overhype everyone like Phantom Menace.

Bonus* Make it fun again. People are more open to Wangst when they are connected to the characters. Make them fun and lovable instead of putting them into crisis mode.
6. Retcon the prequels like he did the entire Star Trek lore by involving time travel.

As long as he doesn't blow up the planet of Yodas it'll be awesome. =D

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I can't tell if this is supposed to be a really bad attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor, or if its just the most insultingly stupid thing i've read on this website in a very long time.

Seriously: "he totally would change the franchise name if Disney would let him"? Is there any rational basis for statements like this whatsoever? This was just three pages of 'WAAAAAAH JJ ABRAMS BOOOOO!!!' and 'I can't believe hes gonna replace the death star with Barbie's super-pink dream house!!'

I've either completely missed the joke, or JJ Abrams personally slaughtered the OPs puppy.