50 Americanisms That Brits Apparently Hate

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Even though I hate Americanism's I don't hate the fact that the AMERICANS use them. America isn't England, so they shouldn't have to use English in all fairness. American English is their own adaptation of the language. I just hate the fact the people in the UK use Americanisms. But it's fine for Americans to do it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Heartcafe said:
"Gotten" is a real word though? It's the past participial of got.

38. My worst horror is expiration, as in "expiration date". Whatever happened to expiry?
This made me die of laughter. I facepalm'd myself when I read this. They mean the same thing but different ways of saying it. (Right? I hope.)
AE uses gotten, RP uses got as past participal

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
As you've probably guessed, as a Brit I'm fine with most of these (some are nonsensical).

However *puts on top hat, monocle and ludicrous moustache*
You dastardly Americans have destroyed our fine, Uniquely British and there for vastly superior? language and you should be ashamed of yourselves
*takes off top hat, monocle and moustache*

had to do that :p

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
"Deplane"?

That sounds like some weird fictional French character surname.

The Adventures of Pierre DePlane!

"24 hours, 7 days a week" instead of "24/7"

Because it's 4 syllables faster, that's why, who can seriously be bothered saying "24 hours, 7 days a week" in conversation?

Myabe when asked about the time we can go; "oh, it's 3 minutes past the fourth hour of the afternoon".

Or I could just go "it's 4", unless you don't have a basic education you should know what I mean.

Forsvaine

Jun 16, 2011
Those are the most elitist British nationalists I've ever seen. Maybe I don't think "bloody" is very clever because saying that something is "bloody" implies that it's either lethal or is smeared in blood.

Some of the points were funny, though. "Least worst option," haha.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
Hah! This is really amusing! I'm Scottish, and I've not heard of half of these, don't care about most of the others and use the rest fairly frequently!

Don't get upset Americans! Not every Brit is like these easily infuriated whingers!

Finebrew

Apr 13, 2009
*Warning my spelling is gonna suck right now*

Tell me how many different chinese dialects are there? So why do some Brits get their pantys in a bunch when it is shown that English has for a better way of putting it split off to have an "American" dialect. Look on the bright side, we all love football. Granted what you call football I call soccer. That being said what do you call American Football? Only asking out of a genuine thirst for knowledge, I can admit I lack that knowladge.

(I gave you a warning, drinking a bottle of bacardi 151 doesnt help in the typing)

Finebrew

Apr 13, 2009

Tell me how many different chinese dialects are there? So why do some Brits get their pantys in a bunch when it is shown that English has for a better way of putting it split off to have an "American" dialect. Look on the bright side, we all love football. Granted what you call football I call soccer. That being said what do you call American Football? Only asking out of a genuine thirst for knowledge, I can admit I lack that knowladge.

(I gave you a warning, drinking a bottle of bacardi 151 doesnt help in the typing)

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
While some I looked at in total confusion (24/7, train station, season, etc.), some I do have to agree with. Particularly number 16. If you're alright, or ok, say so for gods' sakes. If you're good it means... that you're good, that you're better than the normal, that things have gone well. Not that you're just the same as ever and nothing's gone wrong yet.

That maybe my cynicism talking (Americans do tend to be a sight more positive that us Brits, and myself in particular), but still. Just really gets on my nerves.

Hydro Imp

May 30, 2009
Being British I will say that most of these are ridiculous, there are a few that I will agree with but I wouldn't stop anyone else form using them if that's the way they speak. Diversity is how language evolves

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Honestly? As a Brit I will admit that a lot of American spellings and phrases make more sense then their British equivalents and I'm glad we're adopting some of them into our daily language.

The people in the list are probably just joking around, but if they're not than I imagine them to be the type of people sitting in chairs reminiscing about years gone by while simultaneously moaning about anything and everything.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Here's a couple that I don't get and I'm a Brit;

Train station? I've never heard anyone say anything different.
Season. I don't have a big problem with it because it helps to distinguish a show (that I call a series) from different parts of it (a season).
Free and for free? It means the same thing.
And finally 24/7. I find nothing wrong with it!

I will say "I could care less" annoys me because it means the opposite of what you're trying to say >_<

SilentBobsThoughts

Dec 29, 2009
Finebrew said:

We call it American Football :) Well, I can't speak for all of us Brits though :)