Rumor: Valve's E3 Surprise is Source 2, Maybe Half-Life 3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Valve's E3 Surprise is Source 2, Maybe Half-Life 3

Valve's mystery E3 surprise may not be Half-Life 2: Episode 3, but one unnamed source is claiming that it's the next iteration of the aging Source engine - and perhaps Half-Life 3.

In our industry, the moments surrounding E3 is always a time of year for surprises and announcements, and this year one of the biggest mysteries is, "Just what the hell is going on over at Valve?" While the PC developer had initially been planning to show Portal 2 off at a special event next week, it suddenly and abruptly canceled the event.

Rumors and (faked) images made the rounds, leading many to speculate that it would be the long-awaited announcement of Half-Life 2: Episode 3, but Valve big man Gabe Newell put the kibosh [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101146-Gabe-Newell-Valve-E3-Surprise-Isnt-Episode-3] on that idea.

Now, a source who "wished to remain anonymous" HL2 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/08/rumor-valves-e3-surprise-is-source-engine-2/] on Source), the source (that is, the other kind of sources) says we could also see the announcement and reveal of a full-fledged Half-Life 3.

Don't get too excited just yet, though. This is still an anonymous source and their information could be wrong - or could be little more than guesses. Dampening speculation is the fact that Valve's Newell will not be attending E3 - and if this were Half-Life 3, you'd think he'd probably want to be showing up, yeah?

Either way, we do know one thing for certain. You don't just cancel a big event for a big game right before E3 unless A.) you have something huge to replace it with, or B.) things are actually in one hell of a mess under the surface.

I know which of those two we'd all prefer.

(VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/08/rumor-valves-e3-surprise-is-source-engine-2/])

Lowbreed

Jul 4, 2009
If this means a new Counter strike: Hurrah!
If not I personally couldn't really care, and it's still just a rumour (we'll see in time...)

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Well considering it's valve I doubt things are a mess under the surface.

Everything but the pubic hairs crossed for a great announcement.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmm, interesting...

Such a move would certainly make up for the 6 bloody years that they have made us wait for Episode 3... and it is true that the Source engine is becomming a bit dated.

I hope it doesn't lose what makes the Source engine great though, namely the facial expressions bit.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Everytime someone mentions Half-Life 3, I feel sorry for them. You poor, optimistic little children.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
E3 has come round fast this year...
I hope its Source engine, with the amount of brilliant games that have been made using it, I hope it gets its long deserved upgrade.
Oh and HL3 should be fun too : D

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
i was thinking about this today during an exam, probably not the best time, wondering whether it would be a totally new ip or whether valve would announce l4d3, then i remembered someone mentioning that source was getting old, so i reckon it will be source 2, then i come on here this evening and i read this, i must be amazingly smart, shame i probably failed my exam

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EcksTeaSea said:
If they wont show EP 3 why would they show HL 3?
Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That's not to say it's TRUE, or that they aren't pipe dreams. But I think that's the interpretation.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
John Funk said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Well, presumably the thought here is that they realized EP3 was taking too long so decided to expand on it and turn it into a full-fledged game, and the lack of information about EP3 was just designed to conceal this. So when Gabe Newell says "There won't be anything on Episode 3 this year" it's technically true, because they're making HL3.

That's not to say it's TRUE, or that they aren't pipe dreams. But I think that's the interpretation.
Yeah, I thought about that the second after I hit post. More thinking is required next time for me.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
Exactly, ValvE needs to make an episode 3 first so they can provide some closure for the plot of the first two episodes before they can release Half-Life 3, which (presumably) would have a completely different plot than the episodes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Stop...planting...beautiful dreams...in my head!

I just know Valve will let me down on this one. Damn you Gabe, you've gotten arrogant! Make me believe again!

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Eukaryote said:
Oh my god, Source 2. I can just see all of the cool shit this will make possible on Garry's Mod.
You would probably have to pay for a new Garry's mod, though. If they spent so much time, resources, and money making a Source 2, they aren't going to give it away for free so you can add it to all your games with the old Source engine. They would lose so much money on that.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Lowbreed said:
If this means a new Counter strike: Hurrah!
If not I personally couldn't really care, and it's still just a rumour (we'll see in time...)
Counterstrike is currently being beefed up, so your wish is granted!

anthony87 said:
Well considering it's valve I doubt things are a mess under the surface.
Ermm, you do remember the release of Half Life 2 right? you know, in September 2003?, that was messy.

Aylaine said:
Hmm, it would be sexy to see...SUPER SOURCE in action. Still, I'd really like some info on Episode 3 a lot more, but didn't they say they wanted to make HL3 basically what Episode 3 was supposed to be anyways? ;O
Yep, Half Life EP 1, EP2 and EP3 were essentially meant to be Half Life 3.

But judging by how Valve have kept quiet and the tech test they did with Portal, EP2 and L4D it seemed to me they were upgrading Source for a full HL3 experience.

I think they really want to blow everyone away like they did with HL1 and HL2.